Author Topic: Your .22 Rifle of Choice  (Read 41393 times)

Offline SouthernIllinoisPREP

• Prepper
  • Let the Apocalypse BEGIN!
Your .22 Rifle of Choice
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:36:55 AM »
 I was just curious as to what all you fellow Preppers have chosen for your primary .22 rifle. Pictures are welcome and encouraged to display your setup.

My choice is a Savage Arms Model 63. It is a beautiful gun that was passed to my dad from his father and then down to me. I absolutely love this little .22. It is a bolt action, single shot rifle. I prefer single shots for some strange reason. But I must say practicing with a single shot has improved my mag loading skills, my imagazine reloading skills, and just my overall hand speed and accuracy.

Now I will post a picture soon; I am currently on probation so I had to remove all of my firearms from my home until my probation is completed. I will say this, my Savage Model 63 is "naked". No scope, no red dots, no lasers...nothing. I am spot on with my iron sights.

Well, that's my .22 rifle of choice. Now feel free to share yours.

- Nate

Offline chesco_rich61

• Prepper
  • It is what it is.
Re: Your .22 Rifle of Choice
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »
I have a model 60 that was given to me by my father in law, it needs some work to get it firing but i like it's feel in my hands.  I had to buy a bolt action for trapping so I now rock the savage mark II no to bad.

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »
I have a model 60 that was given to me by my father in law, it needs some work to get it firing but i like it's feel in my hands.  I had to buy a bolt action for trapping so I now rock the savage mark II no to bad.

Just skimming through this forum section, Savage guns seem to be fairly popular amongst Preppers...which I like to see, they're great guns.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 05:31:59 PM »

I have a Winchester Model 60 that was passed down from my mom's family.  It's a wonderful bolt action.  I have a newer (well, not much newer) .22 pump action, but it stays in the gun safe.  This one get's used all the time for varmints in the chicken coop, rabbits in the garden, even a snapping turtle a couple times (only times I've ever eaten turtle).

Funny story.  Two days ago my wife live trapped a rat (you always wondered what kind of person live traps rats, right??).  Guess which rifle I used to dispatch it...?

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »
Funny story.  Two days ago my wife live trapped a rat (you always wondered what kind of person live traps rats, right??).  Guess which rifle I used to dispatch it...?

"Animals have feelings too!"

That's what my fiance likes to preach when I'm killing something. She's one that would rather see a person killed than an animal. I, as a survivalist, will take care of either one. Haha.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »
"Animals have feelings too!"

That's what my fiance likes to preach when I'm killing something. She's one that would rather see a person killed than an animal. I, as a survivalist, will take care of either one. Haha.

I am not really a fan of doing either and thank God I've never had to kill a human.  But if something is going to die it shouldn't be prolonged.  That rat I shot a couple days ago with my (overly obvious attempt to stay on topic) Winchester Model 60 was going to die.  Both my wife and I knew it was a pest hurting our margins by eating food we pay to feed our layers and it was a potentially disease carrying vermin.  A snap rat trap would have made it just as dead without it having to spend 12+ hours desperately trying to escape from a live trap.

Offline Coctailer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Run with scissors!!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:40 PM »
If I had to pick one, the Glenfield/Savage/Marlin Model 60 is about as good as it gets.

The old Winchester pump and semis were super reliable also.

Ruger 10/22 is kinda suck for reliability on the newer production ones.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
Marlin 39a, lever action is my favorite.

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 09:13:47 PM »

I am not really a fan of doing either and thank God I've never had to kill a human.  But if something is going to die it shouldn't be prolonged.  That rat I shot a couple days ago with my (overly obvious attempt to stay on topic) Winchester Model 60 was going to die.  Both my wife and I knew it was a pest hurting our margins by eating food we pay to feed our layers and it was a potentially disease carrying vermin.  A snap rat trap would have made it just as dead without it having to spend 12+ hours desperately trying to escape from a live trap.

Yeah, you are definitely right there. I am actually in the market for a Winchester .22 Pump.

Little side track; I live about 45 minutes from the Winchester ammunition factory in East Alton, IL.

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »
I've never owned a Marlin but just shooting them, they're nice, comfortable shooting guns.

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 05:03:38 AM »
 I also have a bolt action single shot 1938 Mauser .22 that was used to train German Soldiers pre WWII. It is a very nice gun; it's in damn near perfect condition (well for being built 1938, that is). The iron sights are dead accurate, even at a little less than 100 yards. It's quite heavy but very reliable and again, ACCURATE.

My great uncle was Army in WWII and my grandfather (RIP Grandpa) was a Sergeant in the Navy on the USS Charleston and received one of the two '38 Mausers when they returned. My wonderful grandpa gave it to me for my 10th birthday.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:23:01 AM by SouthernIllinoisPREP »

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 05:25:04 AM »
I also have a bolt action single shot 1938 Mauser .22 that was used to train German Soldiers pre WWII. It is a very nice gun; it's in damn near perfect condition (well for being built 1938, that is). The iron sights are dead accurate, even at a little less than 100 yards. It's quite heavy but very reliable and again, ACCURATE.

My great uncle was Army in WWII and my grandfather (RIP Grandpa) was a Sergeant in the Navy on the USS Charleston and received one of the two '38 Mausers when they returned. My wonderful grandpa gave it to me for my 10th birthday.

Those are the weapons that mean the most.  Sounds like a sweet one, too!

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 06:24:10 AM »

Those are the weapons that mean the most.  Sounds like a sweet one, too!

I love them. Nothing like old vintage guns. Built to last and reliable. I have several early to mid 1900's guns, but I think my rarest is a 1917 Italian Carcano Carbine by Brescia. It is all 100% original; it hasn't been parted out or had any parts replaced. It even has the original bayonet. The caliber is 6.5x52mm.

The gun is just absolutely outstanding and I would say the overall condition of it is fair to good taking into account that it's all original and 97 years old.

Thoughts on a firearm like that?

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 06:39:29 AM »
I have several 22's, yet the one I end up grabbing the most is a marlin youth model singleshot bolt action. I shoot alot of cb caps for pest control, and there isn't a magazine fed gun yet that I have found that will feed them, and loading them individually through the ejection port of an auto is a pain.

That 22 gets used for everything from shooting crows off the garden, beaver from the pond, night time predator visits (usually possum or skunk), to shooting hogs for butcher. And since it's always handy it usually goes small game hunting too.

The only time the marlin model 60, or 10/22 gets used is when my son is using the single shot, or range trips.

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 07:17:43 AM »
I have several 22's, yet the one I end up grabbing the most is a marlin youth model singleshot bolt action. I shoot alot of cb caps for pest control, and there isn't a magazine fed gun yet that I have found that will feed them, and loading them individually through the ejection port of an auto is a pain.

That 22 gets used for everything from shooting crows off the garden, beaver from the pond, night time predator visits (usually possum or skunk), to shooting hogs for butcher. And since it's always handy it usually goes small game hunting too.

The only time the marlin model 60, or 10/22 gets used is when my son is using the single shot, or range trips.

The only non single shot I have is a .22 that I got from a friend's dad and it has a 10 round tube. But the problem is that it's rusted so bad, only on the outside, that I cannot tell the brand or model. And it's not important enough for me to go though the hassle to break though the rust to disassemble it and find out. It's bolt action and one of the loudest little .22s that I've ever seen. Lol. But it is definitely a great gun and pretty powerful.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 09:43:57 AM »
At the gun club we have a rifle league, mixed rimfire and center fire. The most successful rimfire scores (besides dedicated target rifles) come from the Savage Mk2 bolt action with the accutrigger.
I would guess half the regulars use the Savage.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 05:39:07 PM »
I love them. Nothing like old vintage guns. Built to last and reliable. I have several early to mid 1900's guns, but I think my rarest is a 1917 Italian Carcano Carbine by Brescia. It is all 100% original; it hasn't been parted out or had any parts replaced. It even has the original bayonet. The caliber is 6.5x52mm.

The gun is just absolutely outstanding and I would say the overall condition of it is fair to good taking into account that it's all original and 97 years old.

Thoughts on a firearm like that?

I may actually have a similar or the same model.  It was brought back from WWII by my grandfather or someone gave it to him after.  I don't know the model but it is. 6.5mm bore.  I remember seeing that stamped on the weapon somewhere. It had some rust at the front of the chamber where the bold seats against the shell when charged and I have never looked for ammo to try and shoot it.  Very pretty weapon if we are talking about the same thing.  Also very solid! I would have hated to lug it around north Africa!

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »

I may actually have a similar or the same model.  It was brought back from WWII by my grandfather or someone gave it to him after.  I don't know the model but it is. 6.5mm bore.  I remember seeing that stamped on the weapon somewhere. It had some rust at the front of the chamber where the bold seats against the shell when charged and I have never looked for ammo to try and shoot it.  Very pretty weapon if we are talking about the same thing.  Also very solid! I would have hated to lug it around north Africa!

Yes, the gun has a stamp in the wood on the stock, near the butt by the strap mount. And yes, the bolt does set right on the shell. Also, when you open the action, it is very large and comes quite far back over the stock. Mine is currently in my friends gun case due to my probationary terms, but I will go pay him a visit Monday and get a picture of it.

Now looking online, I'm seeing the shell made of at least 2 types of wood; mine is a lighter color, but some of the pictures I've seen online there are some with darker, almost Mahogany, colored shells. Now I'm sure that all depends on the year they were manufactured. What is the color of the wood used in yours, if you don't mind my asking?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:18:29 PM by SouthernIllinoisPREP »

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »
I found this online. This is the exact gun I have, except mine is made of a lighter colored wood.

This is an Italian Model 38 Mannlicher-Carcano bolt-action Cavalry carbine (6.5x52) manufactured by F.N.A. Brescia in late 1943. Mine is older because it lacks serial/part numbers, but instead has a "Brescia" stamp with a general production number pressed into the stock on the side by the strap hinge. It fires 5 round strips of 6.5x52mm cartridges.

Note: The shell is broke right before the barrel on the right side, just where the bayonet folds into the shell.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:28:02 PM by SouthernIllinoisPREP »

Offline iccustoms

• Prepper
  • Maker of Custom ARs
    • Custom ARs and Training
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »
My favorite 22lr has to be the CZ 452 Scout.  It is a awesome little youth rifle with a short length of pull.  Super light and well made.  My next step is to see about threading it for the suppressor...

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 11:47:48 PM »
Ruger 10/22 right now. I have a can ordered for it too.

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 12:19:11 AM »
Ruger 10/22...I've only recently acquired one but it's at least as accurate as my old Remington and accessories abound for them. I plan to have one for each member of the family.

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
Ruger 10/22...I've only recently acquired one but it's at least as accurate as my old Remington and accessories abound for them. I plan to have one for each member of the family.

Yeah I have a variety of weapons for each of my family members. The 10/22 is one of my favorites because of the availability,the accuracy, the accessories available for it, and most of all, the Ruger name. Rugers are one of my favorite brands of guns - next to Glock, if only Glock made rifles.

nelson96

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 11:01:45 PM »

Offline tyananomura

• Prepper
  • Hope for the best prepare for the worst
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 12:31:57 AM »
I've always shot the Ruger 10/22.  I've shot a few others, but still go back to the Ruger.  Probably because its what my dad used.

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 03:21:55 AM »
I've always shot the Ruger 10/22.  I've shot a few others, but still go back to the Ruger.  Probably because its what my dad used.

I think that's why I love my Savage 63 so much. I've shot and own other .22 rifles, but there's that subliminal remembrance that it was passed to my dad from his father, and then onto me. I have the most practice with it and I feel it connects me with my grandfather, seeing as he died when I was pretty young.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 08:09:47 AM »
It's funny to me that the Ruger 10/22 was getting no love what so ever in the begining of the thread. Then all the sudden several people posted in favor of them. As for myself I'm a for the Ruger 10/22. I had a Marlin in the past but I just hated the tube fed system as I prefer mags. I used both for squirel guns and the Ruger just feels better to me.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »
Well, I grew up with a tube feed .22, so I guess I'm just used to it.

I love my Marlin 60.

Offline tjstruck88

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »
I have a marlin model 60 I been shooting for the last 3 years, she's my favorite to shoot right now cause she's cheap ;D

Offline blacklabel

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 08:14:15 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the Model 60 due to its simplicity and reliability. I've had a few .22 rifles over the years but I keep going back to my trusty Marlin.