Author Topic: M&P 15-22  (Read 10282 times)

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
M&P 15-22
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:41:31 AM »
I picked up one of these a few months back slightly used for $350. They go for about $425-$475 new. I've shot it a bunch of times and absolutely love it. It's a great trainer rifle for someone to become acclimated with the AR platform before dropping big bucks on the 5.56 version.  This is a great rifle for someone new to shooting to graduate from a 22 bolt action rifle.  I looked at that Mossberg baby AR and it was nowhere near the build quality of the M&P. This thing feels and operates like a real AR. Can't recommend it enough.

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
Re: M&P 15-22
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »
Interesting, I have looked at them and since I have the mp15 I thought it would be cool to have a "set"......like you said for plinking etc.

My nephew had the mossberg...it was pure junk.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »
If someone already had a 5.56mm AR, would it make more sense to get a .22lr conversion bolt+mag?

I presume a purpose built .22lr barrel would be slightly more accurate too.

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »
If someone already had a 5.56mm AR, would it make more sense to get a .22lr conversion bolt+mag?

I've thought about doing that myself.  I guess it would depend on what you're going to be doing with it as to the needed accuracy.  Just plinking at the range; surely it would hit paper and group size wouldn't matter if you were just going through the motions.  Might be hard to reach out and bag a lot of sage rats though.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 07:12:10 AM »
A .22 conversion for an AR runs about $200. Come to think about it, every add on for an AR costs about $200. A new dedicated .22 rifle costs about $450 and I won't crap up my AR with dirty .22 ammo. I say get the new rifle.

My father in law has the Sig .22 black tactical thing (I forget the number) and it's a blast. He chose the Sig because it has a folding stock so he can shoot it in "terrorist mode". Really fun.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
To me the use case for a .22lr AR conversion would be for "Tactical" training using the same rifle (weight, sights, etc.).  I hestitated to use that term, but you all get what I mean - high round count drills, moving between targets, and so on.  I already have a 10/22 setup like an Appleseed rifle, but getting better with my AR is the goal.

If I wanted an accurate .22lr, I could get a decent bolt action (Marlin XT, etc.) and a 4x fixed scope and be rocking for $250-300.

Also, for the record "it makes my gun dirty" is never a consideration for me.  I enjoy cleaning guns after a long range session, and I find I can often barter for "dirty" smokeless powder from the OCD crowd who buy guns so they can post photos of them. 

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:59:36 AM »
To me the use case for a .22lr AR conversion would be for "Tactical" training using the same rifle (weight, sights, etc.).  I hestitated to use that term, but you all get what I mean - high round count drills, moving between targets, and so on.  I already have a 10/22 setup like an Appleseed rifle, but getting better with my AR is the goal.

Exactly. If I ever do some tactical training it wouldn't be a big deal burning through 3,000 rounds of 22lr over a couple days. Can't say the same for 5.56.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:28:30 AM by hackmeister »

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 06:13:08 AM »
I've decided to name this gun the "hole puncher". I can basically punch out multiple 3 inch holes out of the target. Accurate as hell and fun to shoot. Another thing that sticks out is the rate of fire I can get.

nelson96

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 09:23:16 AM »
I've decided to name this gun the "hole puncher". I can basically punch out multiple 3 inch holes out of the target. Accurate as hell and fun to shoot. Another thing that sticks out is the rate of fire I can get.

3" holes?  At what distance?

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »
3" holes?  At what distance?

50 yards with peep sites.

nelson96

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 03:08:39 PM »
50 yards with peep sites.

Don't take this wrong, but that's not very good.  Although peep sights aren't as easy to improve group size as a scope would.  Do you think it had to do with the rifle? . . .  I ask simply because a friend of mine has an M&P 15-22 and he wasn't happy with the fit and thought that this attributed to poor groupings that he experienced, as compared to other rifles.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 06:06:50 AM »
Don't take this wrong, but that's not very good. 

Sorry if I wasn't being clear. I'm completely cutting out 3 inches sections of target around the bullseye and other sections I'm concentrating on. Not 3 shots separated by 3 inches of paper.

nelson96

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »
Sorry if I wasn't being clear. I'm completely cutting out 3 inches sections of target around the bullseye and other sections I'm concentrating on. Not 3 shots separated by 3 inches of paper.

That's pretty much the same thing.  Whether you are taking just 3 shots and measuring the grouping or taking 100 shots to cover up the distance between the individual shots, it's still a 3" group at only 50yards.  As you shoot out the center you of course would lose vision of your original point of aim and that would lend to increasing your group size. 

I was just curious because of a comment made to me by a friend that purchased one of these some years back.

inbox485

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »

Simple answer is get both. Longer (ie, it depends) answer below:

The two have different reasons to exist. Depending on what you want to do, either or both make sense.

The twist rate between the two is a night and day difference. M&P 15-22 uses a slightly faster than normal twist rate of 1:15 (most 22 rifles use 1:16). This gives the rifle slightly better handling with longer bullets and a tiny bit better back pressure, but it is hit and miss for things like 60gn sub sonics. The 1:7 / 1:8 / 1:9 twist rates on 5.56 barrels works on .22 ammo but is way overkill even for the 60 gn loads (all internet rumor, but supposedly an Aguila rep said 1:12 is the sweet spot for those), so you aren't going to get match results from a conversion kit, but it will work. Using a rail stiffener on an M&P 15-22 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/527604/yankee-hill-machine-ar-15-picatinny-rail-riser-1125-aluminum-matte) which also acts as a co-witness riser for red dots, you can do things like appleseed with it and scale targets to match bullet drop and perspective on shortened ranges for very accurate training across distances without the long distance range site.

The gas port on an AR is another huge issue. .22 conversions do not use the gas system. They use a direct blow back within the bolt carrier. Since no gas is going through the tube, it gets plugged with use. Copper rounds will eventually leave the tube carbon logged, but that is easy enough to deal with so long as you know to remediate it after range trips. Lead loads in an AR are a disaster. I've seen a few pics of lead welded gas tubes so I wouldn't do it for more than occasional rounds (like varmint patrol with Aguila SSS), and chase them with 5.56 while it is still hot. That all said, if you are out with an AR, a conversion kit and a brick of .22 gives you a pretty massive capability extension in a small package.

Finally the mags are an issue. The M&P mags are the only mags that don't royally suck IMO. None of the others have a true last round bolt hold open, and they feel cheap in comparison. The conversion solution is to get the M&P mag well adapter (https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=52) and limit yourself to compatible conversion kits.

Personally, I have an M&P 15-22. I love it, and won't part with it. A conversion kit and mag well adapter are in my near future.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 12:41:42 AM »
I think an M&P is going to be my new toy also.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 03:40:38 PM »
Picked up a slightly used one for a song. It has magpul furniture on it and some other nice upgrades. Time to go plinking. :)