Author Topic: Ultimate survival rifle?  (Read 36348 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Ultimate survival rifle?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2015, 06:43:48 AM »
My 38/357 Rossi Model 92 Leaver action with 15 inch stainless barrel and action is my choice...and I do
have a 22 Long rifle in the same form,but the 38 is as quiet as the 22 and offers better knockdown for
shooting critters with enough meat to be worth shooting I have taken rabbits,squirrels,wild pigs,and
even deer with it in 38 and am comfortable with the lightweight ,easy to carry and maneuver carbine.

Is it the BEST survival gun....I doubt it ,but it is what I have,what I shoot accurately and comfortably ...
so it is MY CHOICE ...you should be knowledgeable enough to realize what you can handle well and not
follow lemmings over a cliff...I like ruger 10/22 I have several...including the takedown....but I carry and shoot
my Rossi Leaver guns better and they are MY CHOICE...maybe not your choice...A gun must be comfortable
and fit YOU and your intended use. A survival gun is not fired from your jacket pocket so it matters little
how small it takes down or wads up ...

A back packer will need small and light rifle with easy to carry quantity of ammo...an AR7 type rifle ,a Marlin
model 70 Stainless,or a Ruger 10-22 takedown are ALL good ,but the lighter Ruger 22 auto pistol or
Browning Buckmark ,or other 22 with 8 to 10 inch barrel carry smaller,easier,and shoot well enough as
I remember that SURVIVAL does not mean fighting hordes of zombies,  every fight you avoid is a fight you win.
A small CRICKET RIFLE maybe? With it's 30 1/2 inch over all length..  http://www.crickett.com/crickett_rifles.php

Carry what you shoot well.

Still just ideas from a grumpy old man who has pretty much learned all you can learn from mistakes.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2015, 07:09:06 AM »
I shoot a Ruger Competition from when I competed (poorly) at bullseye. I could make excuses that I was beaten by Pardinis and S&W 41s but in reality my Ruger would have got the job done if I was good enough  ;) . If you ever want to be humbled by marksmen, bullseye will do it.

I'd feel really good with any of the long barreled hunting/competing .22 pistols. I've never shot one that wasn't crazy accurate. If you're more the "tactical" type, get over to Browning and check out the new Buck Mark pistols.

Just to throw a wrench in the works, why not a Thompson Contender with a few barrels? I've only shot one once but fell in love. Single shot but you could easily have a .22, .357, and .45-70 in one pistol. And talk about accuracy.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »
My 38/357 Rossi Model 92 Leaver action with 15 inch stainless barrel and action is my choice...and I do
have a 22 Long rifle in the same form,but the 38 is as quiet as the 22 and offers better knockdown for
shooting critters with enough meat to be worth shooting I have taken rabbits,squirrels,wild pigs,and
even deer with it in 38 and am comfortable with the lightweight ,easy to carry and maneuver carbine.

Is it the BEST survival gun....I doubt it ,but it is what I have,what I shoot accurately and comfortably ...
so it is MY CHOICE ...you should be knowledgeable enough to realize what you can handle well and not
follow lemmings over a cliff...I like ruger 10/22 I have several...including the takedown....but I carry and shoot
my Rossi Leaver guns better and they are MY CHOICE...maybe not your choice...A gun must be comfortable
and fit YOU and your intended use. A survival gun is not fired from your jacket pocket so it matters little
how small it takes down or wads up ...

A back packer will need small and light rifle with easy to carry quantity of ammo...an AR7 type rifle ,a Marlin
model 70 Stainless,or a Ruger 10-22 takedown are ALL good ,but the lighter Ruger 22 auto pistol or
Browning Buckmark ,or other 22 with 8 to 10 inch barrel carry smaller,easier,and shoot well enough as
I remember that SURVIVAL does not mean fighting hordes of zombies,  every fight you avoid is a fight you win.
A small CRICKET RIFLE maybe? With it's 30 1/2 inch over all length..  http://www.crickett.com/crickett_rifles.php

Carry what you shoot well.

Still just ideas from a grumpy old man who has pretty much learned all you can learn from mistakes.

The little badger looks to be just like the cricket, single shot, accurate, etc... but lighter weight and shorter as it folds, good for a small light weight pack.

But, I think I need reminding of what good a single shot .22 is as a trunk or pack item or at all ?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 11:15:36 AM »
The little badger looks to be just like the cricket, single shot, accurate, etc... but lighter weight and shorter as it folds, good for a small light weight pack.

But, I think I need reminding of what good a single shot .22 is as a trunk or pack item or at all ?

I had not been aware of the little badger and agree,it looks good though the folded rifle appears
to take up more room than one of the take-down rifles I mentioned..It looks to be a good weapon
for the purpose and I would not change just because someone says another is better ,
at least until you try it and see that something else is better FOR YOU.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 01:36:09 PM »

Aside from being small, light, and quiet, the ammo is also light. The .22lr is more capable than most would give it credit for, though only in the hands of a very patient and practiced shooter. There's nothing else available that can do as much with as little weight(both gun and ammo).

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »
Aside from being small, light, and quiet, the ammo is also light. The .22lr is more capable than most would give it credit for, though only in the hands of a very patient and practiced shooter. There's nothing else available that can do as much with as little weight(both gun and ammo).

In terms of a get home bag -- single shot -- I wonder what scenarios or usages she would train for with it ? She is an accurate shot, so I guess one well place defensive shot, with a knife as back up ? Hunting small game like rabbits I can see. Protection against a rabid animal, again with a blade for back up ? I am beginning to see why some have added a built in kydex knife sheath into the skeleton stock ?

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 03:32:56 PM »
If all she has is the .22lr it better be a BFK.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 04:35:48 PM »
If all she has is the .22lr it better be a BFK.

yeah -- at this point, being she is under age, all she has is a Mora knife and some pepper spray --

Offline BriGy86

• Senior Survivalist
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 05:37:55 PM »
I liked the idea of the break down rifles.  The newer ones seem to be .22 caliber only.

This older model has a 410 barrel and a .22.  It also stores ammo in the stock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urmilP61CiI

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 05:55:19 PM »
May not be the ultimate badass pocket survival rifle, but I'd go with my Baikal Izh-94. Over-under 12ga / .308Win. Simple, durable, doesn't care if you use dedicated .308Win hunting ammo or surplus 7,62x51 NATO machinegun surplus. Quite short, carries easily, like most break-actions it can be easily took apart for transporting.
We don't have as much small game here to truly utilize a .22, while we have quite a lot of bigger game (reeboks, bucks, wild hogs...) and the .308 would be handy. 12ga barrel loaded with shot will still be useful for small game or, with a slug, it can be used as follow-up shot for big game at short range.

If the survival situation was rather combat and not a lonely wilderness style, then I'd choose my AKS74U. Lightweight, totally reliable, durable, fits into a large fannypack or side pocket on most backpacks I have, can deliver 30 rounds of 5,45 as fast as you can pull the trigger, is accurate enough for my eyes and aim.

Offline WhiteBear620

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »
My M&P 15-22 wins my vote. Because it's what I have  :popcorn:
It's not very loud when shooting, and handles just like an M4. I've got a red dot sight with back up iron sights on mine. Using a simple GI sling and budget flashlight on the side rail.
It'll do for my survival until I can afford a real AR, eventually plan on doing small game hunting with it to improve my skills.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2015, 09:35:57 PM »
As I contemplate this, I realise alot of what makes the "ultimate survival rifle" depends largely on what each of us views as our most likely survival situation.

My most likely "survival situation" which would require a rifle, is likely to be work related, and therefore much different than what others posting here may face. I have filled this role with a Colt M4LE carbine with 10.5" barrel and Aimpoint comp ML-2 red dot sight, and surefire taclight. It, along with 2 30 rnd p-mags and a 20rnd mag, are there for when my perceived most likely shtf hopefully never occurres.

For wilderness survival, I would lean toward either a shotgun, or a shotgun/rifle combination. In the wilderness areas I usually find myself, knocking down a charging feral hog, a stalking mt lion, or a fiesty sow bear with cubs are concerns, and not situations where I would want to be limited to a 22. Luckily though, when I find myself in these areas, I am hunting, and therefore armed with much more than a 22. Usually a marlin 1895G, 45-70, and always carry my ruger vaquero 45 colt revolver, or one of my glocks, even if I am just backpacking or canoeing.

I think the whole, "I'm going to run off into the woods with my BOB and live off the land" folks are kidding themselves.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2015, 05:08:06 AM »
But a REAL woodsman knows how to read sign and find food almost on demand...I just look about
and see Burger King,McDonald's,Taco Bell,Pizza Hut....and have confidence I can have food when I need it.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2015, 11:00:41 AM »
Has anyone played with the Chiappa X-Caliber yet?

There are two variations, one is a significantly revised version of the old M6 survival rifle. The other is a series of barrel inserts that can be used with a single barrel shotgun to allow you to shoot other calibers through the gun.  The M6 variant looks the most intriguing to me since I dont own a single shot shotgun.

Basically its an M6 type single barrel shotgun with barrel inserts for pistol calibers and .410 shotgun.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2677

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/02/23/chiappa-resurrects-m6-survival-gun-w-10-caliber-options/

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2015, 10:06:45 PM »
My M&P 15-22 wins my vote. Because it's what I have  :popcorn:
It's not very loud when shooting, and handles just like an M4. I've got a red dot sight with back up iron sights on mine. Using a simple GI sling and budget flashlight on the side rail.
It'll do for my survival until I can afford a real AR, eventually plan on doing small game hunting with it to improve my skills.

Do it like Johnny Cash, one piece at a time. Stripped lower receivers are pretty cheap right now, and it's the only part you need to visit a licensed dealer to purchase. Everything else can be purchased online.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2015, 07:29:29 AM »
     As we all know, the best survival tools are the ones we have with us when we need them. I have a cautionary tale about the Henry AR-7. Mine is older, so they may have changed the part, but the part that concerns me is the "action spring guide". It is a disk with two prongs that fit inside the rear of, and align the "action springs". Mine is made of plastic. If things are not lined up right when reassembling, the prongs can be bent and perhaps broken, rendering the gun unusable, since there is no way to "lock" the bolt forward for a single shot. Henry sells the part for $4.95 (+S&H). I believe I saw a cast metal replacement somewhere, but either way, I'd get a spare for this piece and include it in my kit.

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »
Has anyone played with the Chiappa X-Caliber yet?

There are two variations, one is a significantly revised version of the old M6 survival rifle. The other is a series of barrel inserts that can be used with a single barrel shotgun to allow you to shoot other calibers through the gun.  The M6 variant looks the most intriguing to me since I dont own a single shot shotgun.

Basically its an M6 type single barrel shotgun with barrel inserts for pistol calibers and .410 shotgun.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2677

Yep - this one is calling my name...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/02/23/chiappa-resurrects-m6-survival-gun-w-10-caliber-options/

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2015, 10:09:43 AM »
I think the reason I like the 10/22 in a SBR is that:  Small, reliable, proven design with lots of parts availability, accurate.  Plus, the 10/22 can pour a lot of accurate rounds down range if you have to defend yourself prior to disengaging (and running like hell).  JMO  :)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »
     A friend of mine recently bought a Chiappa X Caliber. I went with him to the range and was not impressed. The fit and finish was not what I would have expected from a $700 gun. He had the version with multiple inserts for different calibers. The pouch with the inserts was as heavy as the gun. He had some trouble with the "O" rings that acted to center the inserts (and may also act as gas seals). One actually tore when closing the action. You can do better for the money; just my opinion.

Offline MK

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »
Just picked up a Ruger Charger takedown last week.  Have not been to the range yet though.

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2016, 10:01:26 PM »
It has been a life long pursuit to find my ultimate survival rifle. I have yet to find it. My next attempt will be a Rossi Circuit Judge in 45 Colt to match my Blackhawk.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2016, 10:12:22 AM »
It has been a life long pursuit to find my ultimate survival rifle. I have yet to find it. My next attempt will be a Rossi Circuit Judge in 45 Colt to match my Blackhawk.

While the Circuit Judge looks cool,it is an under powered shotgun and poor accuracy rifle ....at best.  Please re think and get
a good 45 colt lever action gun and leave the toy shotgun alone ( a 22 rifle is quieter and capable of any game the 410 bore can take)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2016, 10:25:16 AM »
In coming across this thread.. and it 'being the ultimate survival rifle', I could not help but to think about my friend who just shot a doe with a muzzleloader with a bullet he cast himself.

Cedar

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2016, 12:45:03 PM »
   i want a gun that will allow me to take game, defend me and does not weigh too much. As much as I love my Remington M7 in 260 Rem. A better pick would be my Kel-Tec 16 B, folding stock, semi auto 223.
It's not perfect. You can loose the retaining pin while folding or unfolding it. The 223 ammo is bigger then 22rf. So you carry less of them per pound of weight. Being semi auto you must have good mags for it.
   On the plus side it will stop a man better then a 22 lr. It's faster than any of my bolt action rifles. It folds up. It's light. It's easy to clean. The parts are robust and large; except my retaining pin. And I can hand load for it. So it's my first choice.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2016, 04:49:05 PM »
Handloading IN THE FIELD (like Quigley) makes caliber fairly irrelevant.  And you don't have to worry about rain or follow up shots like with a muzzleloader.

Or you can Google the Hammond game getter--it converts common rifle calibers to round bell and Remington cement gun blanks.  You can carry a lot of small game loads in no space.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2016, 08:47:32 AM »
I think the "ultimate survival" value of a gun always depends on what are you trying to survive and what environment surrounds you. In surviving a civil war, the ultimate gun will be something completely different than surviving in the wilderness, no to mention that in some areas, there's lots of small game while elsewhere it's more about big game. Plus, somewhere you may need not to just hunt, but also to defend yourself against predators.
There's no universal survival gun I think.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
After some thought my survival "rifle" is a S&W 617 revolver.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764927_-1_757769_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I've shot one a friend owns and I love it. In terms of feel it's like a no-recoil 686 (which I shoot and love). 10 rounds of .22 is OK for me and I can easily holster it in a holster I already own for the 686. It's built like a tank, accurate out to about 75 yards in my hands, easily deployed, and I just plain like it.

I know I'm off the reservation with this one but If you put in the time it's a great gun that bridges a lot of roles. I guess the .22 sucks for defense but all in all it'd be my pick.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »
Nothing wrong with a 617 if you can shoot it.  With shorts or subsonics it is very quiet. It will put rabbit or squirrel in the pot. 

Offline Sailor

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2016, 04:06:28 PM »
I will not buy anything Chiappa.  My buddy made this video of the badger firing when you close the gun with hammer down.  The fix by Chiappa just causes light hammer strikes. 

https://youtu.be/8MJfIZWzHp4