Author Topic: Ultimate survival rifle?  (Read 36331 times)

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
Ultimate survival rifle?
« on: August 29, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »
Not a battle rifle...

How about a Ruger 10/22 SBR with a 12" barrel, and a Butler Creek folding stock.  Small, light, deadly for small game.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/hemi1488/1022sbr.jpg

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Ultimate survival rifle?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
How about a Ruger Charger and skip the tax stamp... maybe a silenced .22...

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 05:21:13 PM »
Either one would be great, but the Charger isn't CA DOJ approved, and I'm not up for the hassle of getting a SBR or silencer. 

The 10/22 Takedown is about the best I can manage here in Kali.

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »
Gotta love CA!  Whoohoo!

Offline cbowseriii

• Prepper
  • ANIMIS OPIBUSQUE PARATI
    • The Institute for Personal Safety
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »
I just bought a Henry survival rifle (22LR). I like the way it goes together and will be taking it to the range here shortly. I saw a 10/22 take down at a gun show last weekend and was impressed with that one as well.

Chuck

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »
I like the AR-7 too.  Just something about a 10/22 that I can conceal (in a pack), quickly unfold and shoot accurately.  Seems like a good idea, but I've been wrong before - too many to count...

Offline technicalanarchy

• Senior Survivalist
  • That's Pep in my profile pic
    • Response Technical
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
I have an Ar7 stuffed in my bob. Its accurate enough for me. In a real survival situation I'm pretty sure I'd bump a scope off zero pretty quick.

Like the 10/22 idea.but already have the AR7. Could scope and case.my 22/45.

I love how light 22 rounds are.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »
I think it's a perfect little gun. Looks nice, size is right on. Should be perfect for hunting the small game that makes the post-apocapalyptic dinner. 

Offline Viperdillo

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »
Just got an M&B15 22 instant love

Offline bama_medic

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »
I also have an AR7 in my bob with 250-300 rounds of ammo that is vacuum sealed. I also own a 10-22 ans 2 marlin597 and several other 22 rifles but a 10-22 takedown is one I really want to get too.

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 02:05:09 AM »
I have a Marlin 60, semi-auto .22 with red and green fiber optic sights and a para chord sling. It's my designated small game bush rifle.

Here's the problem, with survival we often think SHTF tool.  How long will your .22 ammo last? What is the .22 LR effective range (100-150 yards)?

On any given moment where I live I can have wind blowing up to 80mph and snow blowing sideways or ice pellets stinging my face and eyes.

What if you damage the scope, or the sights come off or damaged?

How will the elements impact a .22 LR hunting accuracy?

I am thinking of going primitive in looking at an ultimate survival tool and acquiring the skills to do what the Plains Indians did for survival in the region I live.

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »
Yep, I'd have to have iron sights.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »
What does it weigh? thanks

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »
Im curious....What makes a rifle a "Battle Riffle" ??

The only thing I think of when I hear that is the gun I used when playing Halo on xbox lol.

Offline joe_2224

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »
I bought the 10/22 takedown as soon as it came out and haven't looked back!  VERY compact, reliable and time tested.  It's a solid build quality piece at a reasonable price.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 05:51:06 AM »
My marlin 60 I picked up at a pawn shop for $75.  I added swivel studs and a sling.  I also added a simmons 3x9 scope and see through mounts.  This way I can switch to irons if something happens to my scope. 

@The Sage of Monticello
Where did you find the fiber optic sight?  Did yours come with one?  I would like to replace the front sight on mine with one of these.

I did handle a 10/22 take down at a gun shop last week.  Very simple and smooth take down mechanism.  The sights were great, the rifle lighter than my 60 and the stock was blue!  If I didnt have the 60 already, and a winchester 62a takedown I would have bought it on the spot.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 06:24:55 AM »
Im curious....What makes a rifle a "Battle Riffle" ??

The only thing I think of when I hear that is the gun I used when playing Halo on xbox lol.
Its use in a battle I suspect.  You could have a battle spork, though using it to smite your enemies is not recommended.

Seriously though, a battle rifle is generally considered a rifle that is optimized in some form or fashion for combat.  This is similar to how some sporting rifles are optimized for hunting.  Many hunting rifles are built to be fairly light even though to make them heavier could lead to more accuracy for the sake of portability in the field.

My personal opinion is that a battle rifle should be an auto-loading center-fire rifle that accepts detachable box magazines (preferably ones that hold at least 20 rounds or more).  A common cartridge is probably a good thing (though not necessary), so .223, .308, 7.62x39, 5.4x39, etc.  Though if you reload I dont see anything wrong with another caliber.  A sling would be nice.  Anything past that is good to have but not strictly speaking necessary.

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
There was a "mountain man" in Utah a few months ago caught on film.  He was reported breaking into cabins and leaving notes for people to "get off my mountain".  Interestingly, he was carrying a Rem 600 or variant.

Not a "battle Rifle" but quite a choice for a "survivalist".  Me?  take down 10-22 purchased recently, or my AR or even my Rem 700, or our his and hers 870's.
z

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
My understanding is that 'Battle Rifles' are chambered in a 'full power' cartridge (7.62 level of power) and 'Assault Rifles' are chambered in 'intermediate' cartridges (5.56).

So an M14 is a 'battle rifle' and an M16 is an 'assault rifle'.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 05:15:22 PM »
Why? I can understand the folding stock for compact storage, but all of the other stuff? For the cost of the Federal Tax Stamp and the silencer, you can get some top quality optics or a lifetime supply of quality .22 ammo. You can get 2, maybe 3, 10 round rotary magazines for the cost of a quality 25 rounder, have a rifle you can easily fire prone, and feed reliably. You will also be able to take it out and practice with it without attracting the attention of local cops or scaring the bejeezus out of the neighbors. Not to mention the advantages of a 16+ inch barrel over the 12" / silencer combo.

Aren't there more realistic preps that the money spent on?

soupbone

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 09:59:04 PM »
I might suggest something a bit different.

Why not one of the Ruger semi-auto .22 pistols?  Easy to conceal in a pack, very accurate and, if you absolutely, positively need a suppressor, you can get one of those, too.

FWIW, I can be awfully sneaky with an H&R 9-shot .22 (off the used market) and some CB rounds.  Most of what you're going to be able to take with a .22 should be pretty easy to get into engagement range.

Just some thoughts.

The Professor

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
My marlin 60 I picked up at a pawn shop for $75.  I added swivel studs and a sling.  I also added a simmons 3x9 scope and see through mounts.  This way I can switch to irons if something happens to my scope. 

@The Sage of Monticello
Where did you find the fiber optic sight?  Did yours come with one?  I would like to replace the front sight on mine with one of these.

Nate,

Picked them up from Brownells.
WILLIAMS GUN SIGHT
Stock #:962-000-092WB
Mfr Part #:70742

They work great, even in very low light conditions when that scope won't work.   :)

Have fun. I installed them myself, had a tough time removing the rear original stock sight on the Marlin 60.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 11:50:39 PM »
I might suggest something a bit different.

Why not one of the Ruger semi-auto .22 pistols? 

That is exactly on my short list. Quite handy and lightweight in my day pack for small game.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
That is exactly on my short list. Quite handy and lightweight in my day pack for small game.

One of the deep, dark secrets is that our INCH (I'm Never Coming Home) Bags are packed each with a .22 pistol and 100 rds of .22 ammo.  This is regardless of whatever additional ordnance we are able to snag on the way out the door.

The Professor

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 04:34:50 PM »
I'd like that new Ruger SR22 pistol to replace my Marlin 60.

The one thing I don't like about the Marlin 60 is (during reassembly after cleaning) how flimsy and how easily one can damage the recoil spring. I bent it beyond repair trying to line up the bolt handle as the recoil spring slipped out of alignment (so be careful Nate, LOL.)

Professor, I suspect the pistol will get the job done and looking at the exploded view diagram is built much stronger and easier for maintenance for my big hands.

I'll just need to put some fiber optic sights on her for my old eyes.  ;)

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »
Another option would be that 30-rd .22 mag pistol from KelTec(?).  Too bad they don't make a detachable stock for it.

The Professor

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 07:16:08 AM »

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 07:17:56 AM »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 12:41:31 AM »
or, at 3 lbs, a Chiappa little badger. Folds to under 16inches, has a little carry pouch, singleshot, .22 or .22magnum, break action, skeleton stock. Well, definitely light enough, small enough and cheap enough for a get home bag -- not ultimate survival