Author Topic: A good bolt action .22lr?  (Read 32532 times)

Offline TMUSCLE

• Prepper
A good bolt action .22lr?
« on: March 31, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »
Hey guys, I'm going to be working on my rifle craft by taking Jack's advise and learning to use a bolt action .22lr. 

What is a good quality .22lr for a fair price?

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: A good bolt action .22lr?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:14:19 PM »
Not sure of the model, but I have seen a Marlin in the ads for around $130.00

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 02:37:42 PM »
CZ 452 ULTRA LUX

Offline TMUSCLE

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
Thanks, I am partial to the Marlin series as I have a Marlin 795 and love it.  I have looked at the Marlin 981, does that model ring a bell?

Uncle Bob...how much would the CZ run me?  I can't do much at the moment. 

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:52:46 PM »
They are just a little less than a Ruger, around $375 but with the hammer forged 28" barrel they are tac drivers.

Offline OLD DUDE

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »
+1 for the CZ

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:25:20 PM »
I was in Walmart yesterday, and saw a Savage Mark II in synthetic furniture for $135.  And they come with that FANTASTIC Accu-trigger.  It's competing with my desire to buy a Marlin at this point.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 12:26:58 AM »
Buddy of mine has a Savage Mark II FVT (Peep sights) and it’s a real nice rifle for the money.

Offline TMUSCLE

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 08:54:58 AM »
I was in Walmart yesterday, and saw a Savage Mark II in synthetic furniture for $135.  And they come with that FANTASTIC Accu-trigger.  It's competing with my desire to buy a Marlin at this point.

Yeah, I know Savage makes some great bolt guns.  Thanks for this tip because I had totally forgotten about them!  Have you shot one with the accutrigger?  How are the sights on it? 

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »
Why yes I have, albiet it was the one with wood furniture.  Sights were a pretty standard notch and post deal, but the wood one had a raised comb (made it a little tough to get my fat head all the way behind the sights), and practically begged for a little 4x Bushnell or Barska on top.  Trigger was like all Savage Accu-triggers, one of my favorites.  You can take them from 4.5 pounds down to around 2 pounds (which for a guy used to an AK and handguns, is almost scary light), and they are nice and crisp.

Here's a gunblast review of the Mark II.

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-MarkIIBV22.htm

The Walmart model is the thinner sporter barrel instead of a bull target barrel, but that'll make it easier to carry when hunting tree rats.

Offline TMUSCLE

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 08:32:29 AM »
Why yes I have, albiet it was the one with wood furniture.  Sights were a pretty standard notch and post deal, but the wood one had a raised comb (made it a little tough to get my fat head all the way behind the sights), and practically begged for a little 4x Bushnell or Barska on top.  Trigger was like all Savage Accu-triggers, one of my favorites.  You can take them from 4.5 pounds down to around 2 pounds (which for a guy used to an AK and handguns, is almost scary light), and they are nice and crisp.

Here's a gunblast review of the Mark II.

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-MarkIIBV22.htm

The Walmart model is the thinner sporter barrel instead of a bull target barrel, but that'll make it easier to carry when hunting tree rats.

Thanks, I'm trying to find one now at my several local Wal-marts!   ;D

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 10:04:33 AM »
No problem.  If I wasn't looking for a Marlin Model 60 right now, I'd have bought one of them already.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:00:31 PM »
I bought a used, beat up, piece o' junk looking, cruddy scope wearing, Savage for $75.

Used a little cleaner on the barrel and mechanisms.
Used a little wood oil on the furniture.

Its now a slightly prettier beat up old Savage.

And it shoots better than I can...

If Jacks statement is that learning on these creates expert riflemen, I am on my way to decorated sniper... And having one heck of a fun time getting there.

Seriously, I have less than $100 total including maintenance supplies into this thing, and it is sweet. On the range in controlled conditions we are talking 1" spreads for a full 10 shot magazine at 30yards - and while I consider myself a decent shot, I am by no means a trained expert at all.

I will say this, the rifle just seems heavier and sturdier than some of the new ones being currently produced. Being a big guy, I will trade the extra carry weight for the additional sturdiness without any issue. One regret - the new Accutriggers are sweet...

Offline TMUSCLE

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:03:25 PM »
I bought a used, beat up, piece o' junk looking, cruddy scope wearing, Savage for $75.

Used a little cleaner on the barrel and mechanisms.
Used a little wood oil on the furniture.

Its now a slightly prettier beat up old Savage.

And it shoots better than I can...

If Jacks statement is that learning on these creates expert riflemen, I am on my way to decorated sniper... And having one heck of a fun time getting there.

Seriously, I have less than $100 total including maintenance supplies into this thing, and it is sweet. On the range in controlled conditions we are talking 1" spreads for a full 10 shot magazine at 30yards - and while I consider myself a decent shot, I am by no means a trained expert at all.

I will say this, the rifle just seems heavier and sturdier than some of the new ones being currently produced. Being a big guy, I will trade the extra carry weight for the additional sturdiness without any issue. One regret - the new Accutriggers are sweet...

Great...now I have to go out and get one ASAP!  LOL  ;D  My local Walmart didn't have any in, so off to Dick's!  This is the rifle I want to take to an Appleseed shoot.

Offline Johnny_Silver

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 01:03:54 PM »
I check my local swap sheet (its basically a giant classified newspaper) picked up a sweet Remington 511 and Savage 15a for a mere 120 bucks! The deals are out there! Looking forward to that E-book of of Jack's.

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 12:15:26 PM »
I have a savage mkII that I really like. My only complaint is the standard sights.... I can't really use em consistently. Once scoped, its a dream. One day I may trade it in for one with factory peep sights.

Offline TMUSCLE

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 01:28:40 PM »
What sights would you guys recommend?  I don't think I'm going to put a scope on this just yet and would like to order good sights. 

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »
Just a heads up, the Appleseed is structured for a semi auto. You can do it with a bolt, but the difficulty goes up significantly.

The factory peep sights would be the way to go I believe. There does not seem to be a practical way to mount aftermarket sights, unless you use the scope grooves. Even then, getting a front sight would be difficult.

Part of the problem with the factory sights at appleseed is you are shooting at black targets often. The open sights are also black. I may try a dab of paint next time I go out.

Offline TMUSCLE

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 09:39:12 AM »
Just a heads up, the Appleseed is structured for a semi auto. You can do it with a bolt, but the difficulty goes up significantly.

The factory peep sights would be the way to go I believe. There does not seem to be a practical way to mount aftermarket sights, unless you use the scope grooves. Even then, getting a front sight would be difficult.

Part of the problem with the factory sights at appleseed is you are shooting at black targets often. The open sights are also black. I may try a dab of paint next time I go out.

Is the Appleseed shoot that hard?  I already have a Marlin 795(semi auto), but was wanting a bolt just because and to honestly try out Jack's mastering the .22 rifle book. 

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »
I found the appleseed to be very challenging. The courses of fire are timed, and a semi auto would allow you to better keep your point of aim for consecutive shots.

The Marlin 795 with a good set of adjustable peep sights and 1-2 extra mags, sling swivels, and the GI sling would pretty closely match their recommended "Liberty Training Rifle" Ruger 10/22 configuration.

I would put, in order of importance:
.22 LR caliber ($/round, recoil)
GI style adjustable sling with swivels. This is important to get the right one, check their website and maybe buy from their source (I did)
Adjustable peep sights or low power scope
Semi Auto
Removable mag with 10 round capacity

Larger mags and bipods are a waste of time for that event, you dont use them.

Offline Remman

• Survivor
  • Forty Deuce
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 08:28:51 PM »
CZ

d3nni5

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 08:39:16 AM »

I wanted to wake up this thread again, because I did a search for "Marlin 981" and found it listed here.   I'm also looking for another 22LR, bolt action and I wanted to get a tube fed model.  I think this would be another ideal 22 survival rifle.   Simplier  than my 10/22, no mags to drop and lose, ability to shoot shorts, longs and long rilfle.   I'm liking the stainless model...

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/981TS.asp

Anyone shooting this?   Thoughts?

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »
I got a Savage Mk II in a trade, I was going to just sell it because it is ugly. The gun had only 25 or so rounds through it and was in perfect shape with a spare magazine but had the ugly stamped steel clips and black plastic stock. Unfortunately I fired it before trading it, now I am keeping it even though its ugly.

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »
They are just a little less than a Ruger, around $375 but with the hammer forged 28" barrel they are tac drivers.

You can get a Ruger 10/22 and have a 10-round mag semi-auto brand new for around $225 (or at least you could have before Sandy Hook).  What do you gain with the CZ?  Accuracy,  I would imagine.  What else?

d3nni5

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 11:29:26 AM »
You can get a Ruger 10/22 and have a 10-round mag semi-auto brand new for around $225 (or at least you could have before Sandy Hook).  What do you gain with the CZ?  Accuracy,  I would imagine.  What else?

I'm a 10/22 owner, and it is my favorite rifle right now.   

See my post above for reasons I want a bolt action .22.   Further, I'm looking at a tube fed magazine too.    Adding to my point about shooting 22 long, 22 LR, 22 short.   I think it would do better w/ subsonic and that "no powder" .22 for a quiet alternative to suppression.

Offline joeface

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 06:17:48 PM »
A great bolt action as stated earlier is the CZ, but many can't get past paying over 500 for a .22 rifle. I have had a lot of success with the Savage line, accurate right out of the box and much easier on the purse strings. If you decide you want to persue the .22 more you can always upgrade your Savage to the CZ later.

Offline narcosis

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
Savage FV-SR
lightweight
excellent trigger
factory rail for optics
factory threaded barrel

Offline AmericanExces

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 04:29:15 PM »
I just picked up a new Marlin XT-22 yesterday at my local, friendly Gander Mountain for $214 and change. I put about 150-200 rounds through it today, and I am completely in love with it. My buddy and I were consistently able to hit a dinner plate-sized piece of cardboard at 100 yards offhand with iron sights, and while it shot a little left out of the box, my groups with irons off a bipod were inside the 10 ring. It ate everything we fed it, though that's not a surprise for a bolt gun. The accu-trigger, or whatever Marlin calls theirs, is very crisp. I felt no need to adjust it beyond where it was out of the box.

I am also impressed with its looks. I got the base model, which these days is blued steel and laminated wood stock. The bluing was good; not lustrous like Colt's used to be, but evenly deep. The stock is really pretty two-tone, alternating black to dark tan. There were a couple spots where it wasn't perfectly sanded that will smooth out the more I handle it.

What I don't like about the gun is that it was very lacking in what some would call accessories. It did not come with scope bases, something I believe ALL modern rifles should come from from the factory with inside the box. They're not expensive to manufacture, and having them already on hand is a huge boost in convenience. Doing a quick Google search for "XT-22 scope bases" yielded poor results as well, though I am lead to believe that Marlin 900 series bases will fit the XT-22 line as well.

It also only came with one 7-round mag. I know that's also industry standard but it's also bullcrap. Throw in a 10-rounder, Marlin! Or at the very least another 7-rounder. I haven't searched for more mags yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were over-priced.

Overall, though, I am impressed by this gun, and would buy it again even with the two gripes I've leveled at it. I bet that Marlin 981 mentioned on here would also be a stellar rifle. I anticipate teaching my children to shoot with this gun when the time comes.

d3nni5

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 06:09:47 PM »
I just picked up a new Marlin XT-22 yesterday at my local, friendly Gander Mountain for $214 and change. I put about 150-200 rounds through it today, and I am completely in love with it. My buddy and I were consistently able to hit a dinner plate-sized piece of cardboard at 100 yards offhand with iron sights, and while it shot a little left out of the box, my groups with irons off a bipod were inside the 10 ring. It ate everything we fed it, though that's not a surprise for a bolt gun. The accu-trigger, or whatever Marlin calls theirs, is very crisp. I felt no need to adjust it beyond where it was out of the box.

I am also impressed with its looks. I got the base model, which these days is blued steel and laminated wood stock. The bluing was good; not lustrous like Colt's used to be, but evenly deep. The stock is really pretty two-tone, alternating black to dark tan. There were a couple spots where it wasn't perfectly sanded that will smooth out the more I handle it.

What I don't like about the gun is that it was very lacking in what some would call accessories. It did not come with scope bases, something I believe ALL modern rifles should come from from the factory with inside the box. They're not expensive to manufacture, and having them already on hand is a huge boost in convenience. Doing a quick Google search for "XT-22 scope bases" yielded poor results as well, though I am lead to believe that Marlin 900 series bases will fit the XT-22 line as well.

It also only came with one 7-round mag. I know that's also industry standard but it's also bullcrap. Throw in a 10-rounder, Marlin! Or at the very least another 7-rounder. I haven't searched for more mags yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were over-priced.

Overall, though, I am impressed by this gun, and would buy it again even with the two gripes I've leveled at it. I bet that Marlin 981 mentioned on here would also be a stellar rifle. I anticipate teaching my children to shoot with this gun when the time comes.

I'm very interested in an XT-22TSR with the tube fed magazine.   While it isn't a scope, I would think that the tech sights below would mount up...

http://www.tech-sights.com/mxt200.htm

That is what i'm looking at putting on it.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »
MSP, I know you stated you were looking for a tube magazine rifle, but have you seen the new Ruger American Rimfire rifles?  They use 10/22 magazines, which you already have.  Street price is around $250 most places.  I haven't handled one yet, but it's on my short list when I decide to add a .22 boltie to my collection.