Author Topic: How hungry would you have to be to eat _____ ?  (Read 29162 times)

Offline ozarked

• Prepper
Re: How hungry would you have to be to eat _____ ?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »
I was stationed in the Phillipines for three years and had several offers to try balut.  Unfortunately, by the time I got drunk enough to accept, I'd pass out.

That's me: America's Ambassador of Good Will. :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 08:22:16 PM »
O Lutefisk, O Lutefisk, how fragrant your aroma,
O Lutefisk, O Lutefisk, you put me in a coma.
You smell so strong, you look like glue,
You taste just like an overshoe,
But lutefisk, come Saturday,
I tink I eat you anyvay

More lyrics and lutefisk info here.  (I've never tried the stuff, I just like the song!)

I think food textures are the most difficult issue.  If you weren't exposed to an odd-textured food as a child, it's really likely to cause a gag reflex, or at least be unpleasant.  I haven't enjoyed most organ meats that I've tried (well, chicken liver is OK) -- we never ate that stuff when I was a kid.  I'd probably eat 'em if I was hungry, though.

This suggests a survival prep: expose your kids to all sorts of foods, so that they won't be grossed out when they grow up.

I once cleared the entire table in my dorm dining hall by eating the marrow out of chicken leg bones.  Buncha wimps!  :D

Durian is wonderful.  Even our cat likes it!

Balut?  Um.  Right.  Maybe the cat would like that too.  :P

Offline scrappy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 09:18:23 PM »
Durian is wonderful.  Even our cat likes it!

Ya, but your cat loves mouse guts and sparrow heads.  Is that much of a measure?

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »
Enduance, I don't sh** in my bed so it does not meet the same qualifications. :) Breakfast in bed is okay. So long as it is not fishy anything.

sarahluker

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2009, 10:37:01 PM »
I remember being really grossed out when I was a kid and saw tongues, organ meats  and pickled pigs feet in the store.  I still have that reaction.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2009, 11:38:18 PM »
Oooooooh, man.  Lengua tacos are the BEST tacos.  In fact, lengua (beef tongue) is one of my 3 favorite parts of a cow as far as food is concerned (oxtail and chateau briand are the other two).

Offline Spirit Wolf

• Survivor
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 11:40:30 PM »
I'm an adventurous eater. I'll try anyrhing once. For your list Helen, the only thing on there I havn't eaten is the dog, cat and horse. Hell I'd even be willing to give balut a try, though I'm not sure I could hold it down for long. The hardest thing I have ever eaten was raw octopus. The texture is just disgusting.

Michael Masse

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
I've had a number of things on the list.  My parents are French Canadian country folk and we ate some unusual things growing up in a family with nine kids, like blood sausage, pigs feet, chicken hearts by the package etc..  I'm guessing anyone of us who hasn't eaten in a week or two will eat anything on Helen's list.  I've been hungry a time or two and you would be surprised how you palate changes and expands.  How else do you think someone came up with escargot?, Do you think that was their first choice. Not likely.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:50:09 PM by Michael J »

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 06:52:35 AM »
 It's surprising what you'll eat when you're hungry. I've eaten things that i normally wouldn't just because it was food. I'm not talking about balut or anything out of the norm like that, I mean things I just plain don't like, like beets, asparagus. etc. I grew up very poor, and many times dinner was what we had canned from the garden, what we could pick, and/or what we could hunt. Some days it was squirrel with biscuits and gravy, others it was 4 of us sharing 2 rabbits and a jar of beans. At the time, it really didn't matter, food was food, whether we liked it or not. I've eaten the usual squirrel, rabbit, deer,duck, pheasant etc, but I've also eaten groundhog, muskrat,possum,  and raccoon. It just didn't matter, it was a meal.
 One thing my youth taught me was that food is a gift. No matter if thats a squirrel over a fire that I just shot, or a big slice of kielbasa from the store. When you simply DON'T have a choice, you'll eat just about anything and be thankful for it.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 09:51:12 AM »

Things I would never, ever, ever eat, even if I was dying:  Balut.  Balut.  Balut, and also Balut.

That has got to be the most disgusting thing that people eat without dying that exists.  And I'm not convinced that the people who eat it don't die shortly afterward.  I think it's a conspiracy.

Reminds me of my year in the Philippines as an exchange student... never did drink enough to try them... although some of my (male) exchange student friends did. I can still remember hearing the young boys running through the evening streets near the bars and restaurants in the dark calling out: "Baluuuuuut!  Baluuuuut!"

Offline digitalartranch

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Digital Art Ranch, art and or illustration by Eric VanSingel
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 09:58:56 AM »
eel is great, especially in sushi mmm...
gator is good, had it fried up like a chicken nugget.  I hear aligator sausage is fantastic but I havent had it yet.
snapper turtle in soup...
beaver
bear --to this day the best rump roast I have ever had, ever.
squirrel isn't that bad, nor is rabbit.

All these a lot of people I know think...eww.  oh well.  A tip I heard this week... anything gamey should be soaked in milk before cooking.  I guess it takes the game flavor out for weaker pallets.

Balut... gross no way in hell.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
Ya, but your cat loves mouse guts and sparrow heads.  Is that much of a measure?

This is a cat who "rescued" newborn mice -- without hurting them -- from a nest she found in a closet.

Anyway, how do you know that mouse guts and sparrow heads are bad?

The hardest thing I have ever eaten was raw octopus. The texture is just disgusting.

When I was in college, a visiting post-doc from Japan prepared raw octopus for us.  I don't know how she did it, but it was really good -- unusual texture but definitely not rubbery or disgusting at all.

I think I recommended this cookbook once before, but it certainly fits in this thread:
Unmentionable Cuisine, by Calvin W Schwabe.
Recipes from all over the world for edible stuff from the animal kingdom that isn't in most Western diets.  (Including balut.)

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 09:01:01 PM »
The hardest thing I have ever eaten was raw octopus. The texture is just disgusting.

You are definitely right there.  The one I tried had no taste whatsoever.  The texture though.  God I can't even describe it.

J

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 09:12:55 PM »
Unmentionable Cuisine, by Calvin W Schwabe.
Recipes from all over the world for edible stuff from the animal kingdom that isn't in most Western diets.  (Including balut.)

Thanks for the recommend!  I still think balut is nasty stuff, tho.

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 09:47:40 PM »
I'm actually trying to work m way through the local animal kingdom.  I've had rattlesnake, turkey and deer (smoked venison heart a few days ago, delicious), I have two snapping turtles in the freezer that will be soup shortly.  Tried squirrel a few weeks ago, excellent and the drippings made a great gravy for my homegrown potatos.  To eat list:  racoon, possum and frog.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2009, 09:56:05 PM »
I'm actually trying to work m way through the local animal kingdom.  I've had rattlesnake, turkey and deer (smoked venison heart a few days ago, delicious), I have two snapping turtles in the freezer that will be soup shortly.  Tried squirrel a few weeks ago, excellent and the drippings made a great gravy for my homegrown potatos.  To eat list:  racoon, possum and frog.

Frog ain't worth the money it costs at the restaurant.  it tastes so much like chicken, that you'll feel jipped.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 06:05:19 AM »
Frog ain't worth the money it costs at the restaurant.  it tastes so much like chicken, that you'll feel jipped.
Truer words haven't been spoken.  You want to try frog?  Go buy a chicken leg.

I've eaten most things available to eat around here except possum.  They're just so ugly.

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 07:53:44 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention.  No restaurant for me, I got to kill it to eat it.  Gotta make it fall under preppin ;) The rattlesnake tastes very similar to chicken as well.  I look at it this way.  If I can harvest it and prepare it when I don't need it, when I need it, it will be from memory.  Especially when it comes to how to field dress certain animals, glands etc.  Trust me getting that turtle meat from the shell was no picnic!

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 12:55:33 AM »
Truer words haven't been spoken.  You want to try frog?  Go buy a chicken leg.

I've eaten most things available to eat around here except possum.  They're just so ugly.

Hahaha!  I remember sitting around with my uncle when I was about 12-14 polishing off some frog legs with a bottle of hot sauce and thinking to myself "Chicken wings would be SO much easier . . ."

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
you see.....this thread is easy for me. I'm from Deep South Louisiana. We eat everything that walks crawls swims fly and slithers! crawdads, deer, nutria rat (big swamp rats), duck, alligator, possum, fish, frogs. you can put ANY meat in to a Gumbo and it's good. That's the beauty of Cajun Country. We'll eat it because we probably already have.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2009, 10:05:29 PM »
Hahahahahhahahhahahah!

Oh, I just had to laugh about this whole thread.

I mean, it's great, and I respect every individual's personal preference in matters of diet....

BUT!!!

In my experience, what a person will or will not eat is a direct measure of how hungry they are.

When a person is so hungry that they know they will die if they do not eat, there is very little that will not be deemed delectable.

SO....

Let's take this question to it's logical conclusion:

How hungry would you have to be to eat-----

a census taker?

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2009, 10:28:10 PM »
I would be more inclined to sell/trade ground census taker patties for something less likely to upset my stomach.  Maybe census taker steaks and chops.

Offline Bad_Synergy

• Survivor
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2009, 10:31:19 PM »

a census taker?

LOL

I would have to be pretty bad off before I would start thinking about cheffing up any census takers.  However, tax collectors,,,, hummmm,,, I will have to think about where they fit on the list of edibles.

endurance

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2009, 10:57:30 PM »
Why do you oppose an activity mandated by the US Constitution to ensure equal representation?

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2009, 11:21:03 PM »
Why do you oppose an activity mandated by the US Constitution to ensure equal representation?
It is not the head count mandated by the Constitution that we oppose. It is all the other questions that are asked that are none of their damn business that we oppose.

Back on topic. I would have to be pretty hungry to eat many of the things listed here. But, as Louisiana Suvivor said, put in gumbo, and it will probably be pretty good.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2009, 11:26:01 PM »
Census taker gumbo?   ;)

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2009, 11:38:50 PM »
you see.....this thread is easy for me. I'm from Deep South Louisiana. We eat everything that walks crawls swims fly and slithers! crawdads, deer, nutria rat (big swamp rats), duck, alligator, possum, fish, frogs. you can put ANY meat in to a Gumbo and it's good. That's the beauty of Cajun Country. We'll eat it because we probably already have.

HAHAHA!  That LA people for ya.  Got an ex from that area.  They aren't picky, that's for sure.

Of course I'm from a part of NC so rural most people don't touch their lips together when they talk and every male regardless of age is "Pa" and every female regardless of age is "Ma".  When you see an aunt stirring a pot of eels as a kid, you really aren't bothered by "odd" food anymore.

SO....

Let's take this question to it's logical conclusion:

a census taker?

I'd need some ketchup for that one.  At least some kind of sauce.  Something tells me those tight ass pointdexters would be pretty stringy.

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2009, 07:48:56 PM »
Few other things I've eaten that I forgot about:

Blutwurst - ya, even I found that disgusting
cuttlefish - ├╝ber-yummy
haggis - despite its reputation, is fantastic
fish eyes
Kanagaroo
Camel
Crocodile
Alligator
squirrel
rattle snake
snails

We have 'roo about once a month. The kids love it. You just have to be careful not to over-cook it or it gets too tough. Very low fat compared to other red meat.

a census taker?

I know you are joking but my first thought was "AGH! Prion disease!!"

Offline scrappy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
We have 'roo about once a month. The kids love it. You just have to be careful not to over-cook it or it gets too tough. Very low fat compared to other red meat.

Checked your profile and see you live in a land where women glow and men plunder.  What part?  I'm chatting with a buddy of mine in Melbourne as I type this.  Hoping to get down there again soon, where I can have more wichity grubs and barramundi.

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2009, 10:36:02 PM »
Hey scrappy, I live & work in the ACT but should be ready to put money down on the BOL in Tasmania early next year. Then it will be as much time working on the place as I can get away with...

My SIL lives in the Dandenong mountains east of Melbourne, worth checking out if you have the time next visit. Beautiful countryside around there.

Anyway sorry for the hijack folks, just to get back on topic I'm off to have some BBQ eel and seaweed salad for dinner... yum  ;D