Author Topic: Augason Farms Hearty Vegetable Beef Flavored Soup Mix  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Augason Farms Hearty Vegetable Beef Flavored Soup Mix
« on: April 07, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »
Augason Farms Hearty Vegetable Beef Flavored Soup Mix is the same basic mix as the chicken mix...but I think the beef flavor carries better in this mix and actually lends a bit of life to the expected flavor and contents. I boiled some water (4 Cups) and added 1 1/2 cups of product mix and after 30 minutes of simmering (cool front allowed use of cooking to augment heater use) I found the beef flavor quite good and the vegetables still had good texture and flavor. I think the mix is a bit salty though not so much as the chicken flavor and some Louisiana Hot Sauce might raise the taste level a good bit though I test all foods 'as packaged'.

If you depend on freeze dried foods for your BOL,BUNKER...I highly recommend storing VARIETY,plenty of spices,plan to augment with freshly harvested foods as this stuff can rapidly cause one to lose interest in foods....I did add some freshly made 'stove top biscuits' and Honey powder so as to tempt the palate with the smell and taste of freshly made bread and sweet honey .

Dog ate some of the soup after I drained much of the fluid as she prefers chunks...and she loved the two biscuits and honey I had saved...then she prepped the dishes for our next meal.

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Hearty-Vegetable-Flavored/dp/B00FTEW61S/ref=pd_bxgy_468_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00FTEW61S&pd_rd_r=08XCY1G0BY3ZC3GEV5DP&pd_rd_w=Gx6nE&pd_rd_wg=jTTt7&refRID=08XCY1G0BY3ZC3GEV5DP&th=1

About the Augason Honey Powder
While real honey will store forever,this honey powder is more a blend of syrup and honey that is kept safe from critters in the #10 can and lasts a long time in storage. PLUS the price is not bad. I use it on breads and pancakes etc and like the flavor .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096IB0F6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 11:50:39 AM by Carl »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Augason Farms Hearty Vegetable Beef Flavored Soup Mix
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »
Sounds good. I have the beef, yet unopened.
And we have bookoo cans of the honey. Wife uses real honey in the bread baking, so we figured we better keep the dried honey in case we loose our bees.

Thanks for the reviews Carl  ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 05:14:29 PM »
Sounds good. I have the beef, yet unopened.
And we have bookoo cans of the honey. Wife uses real honey in the bread baking, so we figured we better keep the dried honey in case we loose our bees.

Thanks for the reviews Carl  ;)

Soon I plan to test AUGASON PEANUT BUTTER POWDER...great calorie density and might blend well with the honey powder....

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 05:45:21 PM »
 ;)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 06:19:08 PM »
On the honey, keep in mind that Molasses and Corn Syrup can substitute directly for honey in baking, no need to change the amount.

I've run out of honey and have more corn syrup than I will ever use other wise. I will try that in bread rather than honey. Much cheaper too. Aldi brand BTW. I needed a tablespoon or 2. Got a quart at Aldi for less than the cost of the small bottle of Karo elsewhere.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 06:39:49 PM »
On the honey, keep in mind that Molasses and Corn Syrup can substitute directly for honey in baking, no need to change the amount.

I've run out of honey and have more corn syrup than I will ever use other wise. I will try that in bread rather than honey. Much cheaper too. Aldi brand BTW. I needed a tablespoon or 2. Got a quart at Aldi for less than the cost of the small bottle of Karo elsewhere.

GREAT,I will look into this as I am not a bee keeper and value is important to me.