Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Needles & Strings

Educate me on dyeing clothes

<< < (2/3) > >>

endurance:
I've done a lot of clothing dye experimentation in the last year in making costumes for burning man. I've used powdered dyes and RIT. RIT worked better than the powdered dyes. However, my goals are often in opposition to getting good coverage. I want a worn and rustic look. To get this effect, I don't pre-soak the clothes. I let everything sun drip dry before rinsing. This gives a blotchy and faded look I'm after. If you want even dying, soak your clothes thoroughly first. Agitate frequently while soaking. Rinse before drying.

Greekman:
I will be using the powder....

Any other better brand?

I have heard about presoaking. Any differecne if the water is cold or hot?

BTW the dye I used works like RIT

endurance:
I use the hottest water I can get out of the tap mainly because otherwise it's much harder to get the salt to dissolve.

jerseyboy:

--- Quote from: Greekman on June 06, 2016, 11:51:09 PM ---I will be using the powder....

Any other better brand?

--- End quote ---

I have done it with boiling water when I was using the black RIT. 

Jerseyboy

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: Greekman on June 06, 2016, 11:51:09 PM ---I will be using the powder....

Any other better brand?

--- End quote ---

I use dyes like these : http://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/dharma-fiber-reactive-procion-dyes.html

They sell a different one for wool on this site. These dyes do not fade out like the RIT dyes, these are used by professionals too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version