Author Topic: Cricket Rifles Come In 22 Mag  (Read 21928 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Cricket Rifles Come In 22 Mag
« on: August 25, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »
Anyway, if you want a lightweight 22 mag rifle this is probably it... I decided to get one of these to mess around with after discovering how inexpensive they are. Also, to mess around with the 22 mag cartridge.

some quick pics. The cricket is SOOOOO lightweight!

in a pack.

do the 22 Long Rifle versions have this length?

cricket with the sub 2000, and a glock 17

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
Re: Cricket Rifles Come In 22 Mag
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:26:22 PM »
I have handled the LR versions of this rifle in many gun stores.  YES they are very short.  They are intended for kids to learn proper gun handling and marksmanship.  That is why they are small.  I have thought about getting one for backpacking and canoe trips.  If they came with a magazine I would buy one in a second.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:30:22 PM »
I've never had the chance to shoot a Cricket, but I did shoot one of the early Chipmunk rifles in 22 mag. It was sooooooo strange to feel recoil in that cailber!

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/PRK.html

the barrel is held in by a roll pin and a screw. you could technically take the barrel off for a 16 inch stowable package, what loss in zero reputting the barrel on I do not know yet.

Mostly I bought it to play around with 22 magnum, and got a pack gun too 

"I can't recall how many white tail deer I have taken with a .22 magnum, but only two had to be shot more than once. Sit still let them come to you, then put your shot where you want it. My M1A is a battle rifle, my Marlin .22 mag is my survival rifle. And my Ruger .44 mag is my life insurance."

-Muleskinner

For 130 plus tax, you can't really go wrong IMHO just to keep an accessible gun in kits, that you wouldn't care as much as if your 1000 dollar rifle got stollen. More of a foraging rifle, with the handgun for "life insurance".

The standard stock package is quite compact to other bulky "pack" guns. And it fits in real world packs, which defines survival tools/kit size into kit size restrictions.

Alukban sent me that link      http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5417597/Home_Built_LW_22_Game_Getter#Post5417597

26.5 ounces for the one above.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 01:33:41 PM »
I've never had the chance to shoot a Cricket, but I did shoot one of the early Chipmunk rifles in 22 mag. It was sooooooo strange to feel recoil in that cailber!

Just shot my first 50 thorugh it getting it sighted in. several clover leaf groups at 25 meters with the peeps. Offhand standing up went 10 for 10 on shot up 20 and 12 gauge hulls at 25 yards.

I'd really have to scope it with my eyes and try a bunch of different ammo to give you a more accurate   :D report.

Very funny feeling recoil from this little pea shooter. A recoil pad would add LOP to it if it's too short.

The buttstock is also hollow, one could fit lots of low weight energy multipliers, spider wire, number 8 hooks, etc. The stock screws are phillips and worked well with my SAK trekker

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »
Sadly, I somehow managed to drop my little cricket rifle.   

The plastic front sight is very fragile, mine will need to be replaced-it's quite deformed. (and I probably should make a metal one).

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 06:28:23 AM »
I hope the .22 mag is easyer to load than the .22 Lr . I bought 2 for my girls they can load them fine i have trouble ,
my hands or fingers to get the shell lined up and loaded.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:10:16 PM »
Not bad, I also have a n old single shot 22 lr so I'm use to it. I do agree. I like exposed breeches (falling block/break action) better yet mag fed weapons.

Offline Rangeboss

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB member
    • The Shooters Podcast
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 11:20:35 AM »
Keystone arms, which makes the Cricket,  sells  a line of adult stocks for their rifles so the rifle grows with the shooter. I have 6 of them in my Youth programs and they are accurate. Not a lot of moving parts to give you trouble, that's for sure. I had one bolt handle break and they replaced it in a week, no charge. I can't hardly blame the gun, I have a large program and they get heavy use. I explained that to Keystone and offered to pay for the part but they would not take my money. Good on them.

Offline Pasha

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 03:24:01 PM »
I think I found my next project gun.