Author Topic: Local source of grain  (Read 815 times)

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
Local source of grain
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:32:03 PM »
I've used these folks in the past.  Good people.  They offer a variety of grains and honey from two sources.

http://www.auroragrains.com/

endurance

Re: Local source of grain
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:02:37 PM »
Very cool.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:26:13 AM »
I know most of you are further North, but we get uncleaned wheat (fresh from the farm) for $7 per 50 pound bag at WW Feed & Supply in LaJunta. I'd much prefer cleaned wheat though, so I may check out the above link next time I'm in Denver.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »
I lived in Hanover, CO many moons ago.  At that time, we would just buy it from the neighbors, straight off the combine. (Slight exageration, I think 'cuz I was just a kid then.)  All the neighbors would go on the same day to minimize the inconvenience, 'cuz the farmer sold it dirt cheap and was just being nice.

Offline Denver Terry

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:15:08 AM »
Hi all,
I know this is an older thread but wanted to add a supplier in the metro area.
Wardel Feed - 7610 W 42nd Ave  Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 (Wadsworth and 42nd Ave)
I've picked up 50 pounds bags of hard winter wheat for $17.00 and they carry other grains as well.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 07:53:46 PM »
Hi all,
I know this is an older thread but wanted to add a supplier in the metro area.
Wardel Feed - 7610 W 42nd Ave  Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 (Wadsworth and 42nd Ave)
I've picked up 50 pounds bags of hard winter wheat for $17.00 and they carry other grains as well.

Is it organic or does it have a "brand" name to it?  Is it feed stock, or rated for human consumption?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »
At that time, we would just buy it from the neighbors, straight off the combine.

I have bought clean wheat berries straight off the combine for years. Most years it has been easy for me, but the year before last I did not have my regular sources in moving back to the States. Since I did not have a source, I chased combines down the road when I heard them coming and there are like 7-8 in a parade down the roadway. When I heard them, I packed my child into the carseat and followed them to whatever field they were going to. After a week, I finally caught up to one and asked him. He told me to meet him in an hour and bring my buckets. He filled them right out of the auger for me. I like it when they have not been to the mill as at the mill it has been exposed to weevils and other nasties which lurk at the mills.

In the Willamette Valley we only have Soft White wheat however (which is generally used for pastries), for Hard Red (used more for breads) I have to go to the east side of the state. I use them interchangably though.

Cedar

Offline Denver Terry

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »
Is it organic or does it have a "brand" name to it?  Is it feed stock, or rated for human consumption?

Not sure about the organic or not. None of the bags I've purchased have any type of label other than a sticker with the contents and weight. The only ingredient listed is the wheat and it looks exactly like the wheat I've purchased fro the LDS folks.  Next time I go I'll check and ask about the organic certification.

P.S. I've used some for bread and I've not developed any strange critter noises.  ;D

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
Not sure about the organic or not. None of the bags I've purchased have any type of label other than a sticker with the contents and weight. The only ingredient listed is the wheat and it looks exactly like the wheat I've purchased fro the LDS folks.  Next time I go I'll check and ask about the organic certification.

P.S. I've used some for bread and I've not developed any strange critter noises.  ;D

One of the local stores that I have bought most of my grain from no longer sells grain each month.  It's down to a twice a year process when I feel the desire to build up my pantry.    So I am looking for some good quality grain versus standard feed grain to put up in storage.

There are a few brand name grains that I will buy no questions asked, if I don't know the brand name then I look for other quality indicators when buying in bulk. 

Thanks for the info

Offline Lostjagged

• Survivor
  • The Biker Prepper
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 10:11:25 PM »
I can only speak for North Dakota when it comes to grains but there is very little organic grain here. That being said as of now corn and soy is gmo and wheat is not. Most elevators will not take treated wheat either so I know the wheat in the area is at least relatively safe.