Author Topic: Family just started getting into archery = fun!  (Read 5297 times)

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
Family just started getting into archery = fun!
« on: May 27, 2014, 01:37:08 AM »
Our 6 yr old grandson has wanted to learn to shoot a bow and arrow for a couple of years.  No idea where he got that but it stuck.  A new Sportsmans Warehouse opened off Hwy 26 and has an indoor range.  So we got him a cheap little bow and some arrows and a quiver and got him started.  then his mom (our daughter) wanted to learn.  And my wife and I both did archery in high school but not since so thought it would be fun to try again.

We defaulted to just let the Sportsman archery clerk get us all set up with whatever  they had in the store.  Probably not the best or best value but it was free and available advice and has worked well enough for now.  The three of us adults got Fleetwood recurve bows of 24# and 29# with store brand carbon arrows.  I figure this first set of cheap equipment may end up being quickly outgrown as we learn more and find out what works and what would work better. We like the simplicity and "art" of the recurve bow shooting but may try compound bow some time down the road.

Now we are thinking of turning part of our side garden into an archery range, shooting toward the house and put up plywood or something as a backstop.  Our grandson has only been shooting his bow twice and is already improving quickly.

Any tips on how to learn more, best recurve equipment or sources, books, clubs, etc.  West of Portland. OR.  especially for kids.  It seems their bows are really cheap.  Does anyone make a decent quality kids bow? Kid size gloves?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Family just started getting into archery = fun!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:23:42 AM »
 :popcorn:

my kids have been doing the 4H shooting sports for the last 2 years and they found they love archery.  my daughter also found she did not like air rifles

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »
That's a great idea.  He is starting 1st grade at a school with 4H program so we will have to see if they offer archery.  That would be super for him to be able to shoot with other kids near his age.

nkawtg

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
There are so many positives about teaching children to shoot a bow.
Responsibility
Strength building
Hand eye coordination
A future survival skill
and just plain fun.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 12:18:45 AM »
There are so many positives about teaching children to shoot a bow.
Responsibility
Strength building
Hand eye coordination
A future survival skill
and just plain fun.

Yes, and I think there is some fundamental sense of "humaness" in terms of being armed on the food chain and not being a victim to nature when we achieve skills such as archery, firearm shooting/hunting, swordsmanship/fencing, etc.  Similar to being able to make a primitive fire or shelter.  Even if done just for recreation there is a deeper sense of fulfillment when we learn such basic skills.

Right now it is mostly fun for him, but being in the middle of a divorce and custody battle I am sure the little guy likes something that gives him a sense of control and mastery independent of adults and is a milestone of growing up.

Offline MarkL99

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 05:37:12 AM »
Started my son off a couple of years ago in archery.  He is now eleven and has progressed to a better bow.   He really enjoys it, along with a lot of other outdoor activities (i.e. fishing, camping, shooting).  Took him to his first 3D shoot last year and he did awesome.  Really enjoyed shooting at the 3D targets.  Much more realistic for the kids than just a paper bulllseye. 

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 12:56:05 AM »
We discovered there is a free public archery range in Washington Park just west of downtown Portland.  My wife and I go out there with our daughter and her 6 and 3 yr olds.  Meeting nice people, and getting in hours of practice taking turns, playing with the grandkids, just enjoying the great weather and relaxing sport.

This last Saturday I brought balloons and everyone loved the reactive targets, especially the kids.  We brought along a toy bow and rubber tipped arrows for the 3 yr old and I think she had the most fun.  She was thrilled to shoot arrows just like Mommy (well, sort of!).

This is turning into quite a family activity.  Our daughter has two friends trying it out too.  We are picking up a few tips on technique here and there and losing about one arrow per outing over the berm and into the swampy area.