Author Topic: How do I put an arrowhead on a necklace?  (Read 7001 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
How do I put an arrowhead on a necklace?
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:12:08 PM »
I recently got hold of a true Native American arrowhead (lots of farms turn them up). I have a distant relation to the Lakota (Sioux) tribe and I love the history of it. I'd like to add it to a necklace but I can't seem to make it work. I'm pretty good with metal (made a suit of chainmail) but I'm running aground on how to do it well and have a necklace to be proud of and wear.

Any links or ideas would be appreciated.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
Re: How do I put an arrowhead on a necklace?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:49:35 PM »
The ones I have seen used wire to create a loop for the chain.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:16:06 PM »
PLEASE do not drill it. And some states (if not all) do not allow you to keep them. So wear with caution.

Other than wire, you can also use sinew to make a fastener, then maybe a loop at the top from it, or wrap around something like a beveled edged antler with a hole in it to slide a chain or lace through.

Cedar

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »
One suggestion would be to mount it to a short piece of willow, or other native wood, as if you were actually mounting it to an arrow shaft.  Try to attach it as historically accurate as possible.  Then, shorten the shaft to about 1 inch behind the rearmost base of arrowhead, drill a hole through the abbreviated "shaft" and run the necklace through that.

Just as another suggestion: put a tiny drop of epoxy on the back, if you use sinew, to hold it in place. This way, you're less likely to lose it when you least expect it.

The Professor

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 05:33:15 AM »
PLEASE do not drill it.

Who would do that? Yikes.

And some states (if not all) do not allow you to keep them. So wear with caution.

Hadn't heard that... I thought it was a question of source. Federal vs. private land, no digging, etc. I think I'm legal  :-\

One suggestion would be to mount it to a short piece of willow, or other native wood, as if you were actually mounting it to an arrow shaft.  Try to attach it as historically accurate as possible.  Then, shorten the shaft to about 1 inch behind the rearmost base of arrowhead, drill a hole through the abbreviated "shaft" and run the necklace through that.

I might give that a whirl, thanks for the idea. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks, fellow forumers.

Offline BillyS

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • Scarydad
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 06:41:38 AM »
It depends on the shape. I used to do all kinds of wire-wrapped jewelry, so if you have a pic I can probably suggest a method.

On another note, wearing sharp things around your neck can be hazardous. Years ago I got a shark tooth necklace from a street vendor in California. I'm not sure what kind of shark it's from, but it's little and triangular and resembles that of a great white. I put it on and wore it proudly for a couple of hours. Then my wife pointed out that I was bleeding...

Turns out "razor sharp" is not an exaggeration. I had several substantial cuts on my neck and bled enough to ruin my shirt.

If it's edged well like some arrowheads I've seen, you might want to come up with a different purpose for it.  :P

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 06:58:39 AM »
LOL I learned that lesson years ago with a bear claw. No, the arrowhead is pretty dull.