Author Topic: Help with identifying bow info  (Read 6486 times)

Offline EpsilonTAC

• Prepper
Help with identifying bow info
« on: January 06, 2014, 11:39:58 PM »
So I inherited a recurve bow that was my uncles..... The thing is older than i am. It is still in good shape but I have no idea what the specs on it are or even the brand for that matter. It needs a new string. The serving is starting to Frey and come loose. Any ideas to go about figuring out this information?

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
Re: Help with identifying bow info
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:18:16 AM »
Got a picture. Or any identifying marks. Take the old string to a bow shop they can replace it by the length. Take the bow they can identify it too.

Offline EpsilonTAC

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:22:59 AM »
I will post a picture a little later but I cannot find any marks at all. It looks like it was painted at one point because the black on the handle part is chipped and it show some red.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:53:30 AM »
i'd definitely take it to a shop to make sure its safe to shoot first. They can probably help you ID it too.

If they cant Id it take some pictures and put it up on here or bowhunter forums... worst case I could put it up on reddit for you....im sure someone in one of the archery subs can ID it.

Offline EpsilonTAC

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:04:43 AM »
Thanks everyone. I will definitely post some pics here. There aren't any archery shops local to me as I live in Youngstown Ohio. Rather large city unfortunately

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:48:57 AM »
Could it not have marks as it is handmade? I know alot of guys who make their own and do their own fletching.

Cedar

Offline EpsilonTAC

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »

The bottom picture is the only kind of marking. I don't think it was built by my uncle

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
Old takedown recurve from the 1970s.  Bear made them I think.  That was back before the days of the compound bow.

magnesium riser and fiberglass limbs .  I think they called them the Minute Man series due to sales during the bicentennial year, which would have been 1976.  Google Bear Minuteman and you will get a ton of hits and discussions.

They were low dollar even then and I used to pick them up at yard sales for $10.

I see that they are fetching $100+ on E-bay now.

I have one hanging in the back room.

They were usually #45 pull and adequate general purpose starter bows.

Niccolum

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 08:05:34 PM »
Thanks everyone. I will definitely post some pics here. There aren't any archery shops local to me as I live in Youngstown Ohio. Rather large city unfortunately

A little late to the game here, but from Youngstown you're not that far from two well-known regional pro shops - Acorn Archery (New Castle, PA) and Shooters Showcase (Slippery Rock, PA). I'm personally a big fan of Acorn and know a number of people that drive there from Pittsburgh routinely for archery needs.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 04:24:04 PM »
That is a Bear Bow.

The shape of the rubber grip and the built in groove for a sight confirms it.

Bear mad takedown bows where the limbs would clam into the handle section.

Your bow appears have limbs that simply slip into slots, so I can't identify the model type.

Hope this helps,

Steve