Author Topic: Bow-Mag (arrowhead w/ a bullet)  (Read 14996 times)

nelson96

Bow-Mag (arrowhead w/ a bullet)
« on: November 27, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »
WAY COOL, but I'm sure there are limited States and game that they can be used on. . . .  The Bow-Mag Arrowhead combines the stealth delivery of an arrow with the power of a .38 or .357 Magnum bullet, effectively turning your compound bow into an even deadlier, silent hunting tool.  Simply secure your .38 or .357 Magnum round into the Bow-Mag Arrowhead cylinder, turn until the casing threads lock in place, then attach to your standard arrow shaft. The Bow-Mag is designed with safety in mind, ensuring that rounds will not fire until they hit your intended target, delivering firepower, Magnum impact and maximum stopping force where you want it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT1vPczQcyg

Obviously it just adds another challenge (using a bow) to the enjoyment of hunting, you could always simply use a handgun with the same caliber round to shoot your game.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:55:34 PM by nelson96 »

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
Re: Bow-Mag (arrowhead w/ a bullet)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:23:35 PM »
Looks like the intended prey is hogs. Most states consider them deleterious and don't put a lot of regulation on em, hence knife hunts and other crazy tactics.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 06:24:49 PM »
Not sure why I couldn't machine my own and have reusable ones?

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
Looks like the intended prey is hogs. Most states consider them deleterious and don't put a lot of regulation on em, hence knife hunts and other crazy tactics.

Maybe high fence game hunts too?  I don't know.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »
Scuba dive Bang Stick meets fletching....

I don't think that it would be that practical

A poor hit with a 357 wouldn't be any better than a poor hit with a broad head.
Whereas, a good hit with a quality broad head wouldn't give up much to a 357 bullet.

Steve

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 06:58:04 AM »
Larue Tactical has been making a rifle-to-arrow conversion kit for the Ruger 10/22 for a few years now.
http://www.laruetactical.com/ruger-10-22-deluxe-arrow-conversion-kit

The You-Tube videos on it are pretty convincing. I'd see the primary use being for small game/varmints under 35-40 lbs. Though, I do have to wonder if it were legal to use in one's state for deer, why it wouldn't work inside of 50 yards.  I used to be a bowhunter but my strength and tree climbing ability/willingness isn't what it used to be in middle-age. Why shouldn't something like this be yet another tool in the toolbox in a hunting for survival situation?

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »
I'm waiting for the 50 BMG version. 

nelson96

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »
Larue Tactical has been making a rifle-to-arrow conversion kit for the Ruger 10/22 for a few years now.
http://www.laruetactical.com/ruger-10-22-deluxe-arrow-conversion-kit

Very cool.  I'm a LaRue fan and hadn't seen that before.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 03:27:46 PM »
Wow, talk about a subject shift!!!
However, let me address to 10-22 arrow conversion units a bit here.

Several years ago, I saw an advertisement for an air rifle modified to shoot arrows.
The picture showed some Sec Ops type wading out of the water with a arrow shooter in hand. 
The purpose was obviously a much more handy silent way to take out a sentry. 
This had been offered to the military, but I don't think they bought it.  So, the company went public.

I chased them down on the net and discovered that their offerings included world class air rifles and powder driven arrow weapons too.
Their Arrow Stealth gas driven gun offers some fantastic performance and options.
(To include a line throwing attachment)
There were a couple of demonstration videos on the net of the gas driven arrow gun...
If interested, you might try to find them for more information.
They offer not only a 10-22/M-77 rifle, but a couple of configurations that also use .223 blanks for power. 
(How does a 600 FPS arrow sound to you?)

I purchased a 10-22 barrel kit and a dozen arrows.  It makes a cool "TOY" to play with.
They also offered a barrel for my Remington 870 modified for .223 blanks, and I am thinking about getting one. 
(however, the .223 blanks are "Very Expensive" and that could be a deal breaker for me.)

Anyway, I published a detailed report on another forum (Hoods Woods) a couple of years ago.

Here is the source and a few pictures from my tests.  If anyone is interested, I can go into further details on a different thread… This one has been pirated enough.

Company: Swivel Machine
Firearm: Arrow Stealth - 1022 Conversion
Email address:  swivelmachine@swivelmachine.com

One of the results of a smaller Ram-Set blank… The arrow stayed in the barrel.

Basic Components :

Muzzle details:

Shooting:

Note the depth of penetration… This is a powerful little rig. 
A lot of arrows (They call them "Airows") shot completely through the target

My test included several different power level ram sets.

I am very impressed with the quality of this unit and the service from the manufacturer.
I have no problem endorsing this little gem.

Originally, I modified my tricked out heavy barreled 10-22 to test out this kit. 
I like it so well that I've purchased another 10-22 and a stock to make a dedicated 10-22 arrow shooter

Anyway, there is an alternative to the LaRue (Copy) unit available.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:35:28 PM by Steve Cover »

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »
Wow, talk about a subject shift!!!..............

Didn't mean to shift the subject. As I read it the subject was about enhancing arrow delivery through the use of gun powder. I just offered up another example of how that was being done.

FWIW, the Larue unit does deliver a broad head rather than a field tip.  I don't consider any weapon capable of delivering lethal force a "TOY".  YMMV

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
Didn't mean to shift the subject. As I read it the subject was about enhancing arrow delivery through the use of gun powder. I just offered up another example of how that was being done.

FWIW, the Larue unit does deliver a broad head rather than a field tip.  I don't consider any weapon capable of delivering lethal force a "TOY".  YMMV
To me a weapon that I describe as a "toy" has very low practicality over a more conventional weapon.
They are fun to play with, (safely of course... it is a potentially deadly device) rather than be expected to be actually used as weapon.
My Rossi Ranch Hand, 357 Magnum Mare's leg also fits that definition. 
Its fun to play with trying to roll aluminum cans like Steve McQueen, but not considered practical for actual self defense or hunting.
It spends it's time in a display case hung on the wall of my pool room.
Both 10-22 arrow flingers fit that standard and are thus "Toys".

Getting back to the fletched bang stick:
While it is an interesting idea, my opinion is that it is an impractical solution to a nonexistent need.

Sorry if I sounded gruff.
I didn't mean to be.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:16:52 AM by Steve Cover »

Offline Jim H

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 05:22:23 PM »
Not sure why I couldn't machine my own and have reusable ones?

I was thinking the same thing. The only thing I'd be worried about is the .357 round launching the shaft back at me. When the Bow-Mag self destructs it may be absorb the recoil energy; or increase sales - I really don't know. Been tempted to get some to play with though.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
A blank cartridge would be almost as effective as the bullet without enough weight behind it to actually launch the projectile.

But it is cool to look at.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 06:05:48 AM »
I haven't seen a single review of the Bow Mag's that shows them doing anything more than exploding on the surface.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 06:33:59 AM »
I haven't seen a single review of the Bow Mag's that shows them doing anything more than exploding on the surface.

Well TB , check out this knife....it is loaded.

http://www.waspknife.com/

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 09:04:28 AM »
Yeah, I've seen those.  Not sure how I feel about those.  They seem to make sense if your a diver.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 09:19:40 AM »
Yeah, I've seen those.  Not sure how I feel about those.  They seem to make sense if your a diver.

The arrow would be more effective if the firing pin were a weight that traveled the length of the shaft and struck the primer after it had penetrated critter.

The knife does sharks good ,but often causes a feeding frenzy that can be lots more exciting.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 09:41:48 AM »
That's funny you mention the sliding weigh idea.  That's EXACTLY what I was thinking about.  That way you get a slight delay before the round goes off.  The problem I see with any of these is that you need a really hard surface to impact to get enough force the fire the round.  I would also like to see the round's energy contained so that it is directed.