Community & Regional Connections > The International Connection

The United Kingdom

<< < (5/25) > >>

Rosesandtea:

--- Quote from: JetstreamJonny on February 23, 2009, 03:48:47 AM ---The recent snow has really made me think about equipping vehicles with permanent kits for all kinds of emergencies. When you give it some thought, getting stuck in a vehicle comes down to making the same decision as you would at home - Bug-in or Bug-out, stay or go. In either case you're going to need to be prepared. For example, I realised that I drive to work wearing clothes that would not be suitable for walking anydistance in bad weather - and I like to think that I'm a prepper !!!
I'd be interested to hear what preps you lot are all doing.
I've started to learn to shoot a bow recently too - are any of you archers?
Cheers - Jon

--- End quote ---

Wanted to comment on this too.  I used to be so much more careful than I am now - dh is not much of a "be prepared" guy (though he was in scouting) and I've kind of lost my caution.   In the winter I used to make sure we had a blanket in the car, and if we were going to church or something I would make sure we put shoes in the car that we could walk in, and make sure everyone had suitable coats for more than just a dash from car to venue.  I'd often stick in a bag of hats and mittens "just in case".   I was thinking more in the line of what if the car breaks down and we have to walk somewhere, or even just sit in the car waiting for help and not be able to run the car for heat.

We have 5 children - so that means quite a lot of hats and mittens, shoes ,etc and I've just gotten away from being prepared for car trips as much as I used to but I need to start doing it again.

One cheap option for blankets - for car or home, is simply getting appropriate lengths of fleece fabric from the fabric store.    I don't even hem them but you could do that, it makes them look prettier, but the fleece doesn't ravel so it's not necessary.    I would get 2 1/2 mtrs for my son who's 6'5" I think and so on.  Make it longer than the person is by at least 18 inches so it can be tucked in around them adequately.   My kids love getting them for Christmas.     They aren't hugely bulky and are lightweight.  Easily washed and dry quickly.  Good for camping, dragging around the house, taking in the car, and if you have little children it's not a disaster if there is some kind of "accident."  I think as long as you have water they are easily washed.  

Rosesandtea:

--- Quote from: JetstreamJonny on February 23, 2009, 07:34:59 AM ---Hi Karen - it's all very well to go for the best kit but budget is important too! If you Google it you can easily get an air rifle for under £100 but if I were you I'd avoid paying much less. If you want to actually be able to kill anything with it then go for something in the region of 11.5 ft lbs - if you just want to give it a go and shoot tin cans in your garden then you can easily go cheap and just have fun.
You can't buy airguns by post, they have to be bought through a dealer so I'd do a search to see who's near you and go & talk to them about it. In this current climate it wouldn't suprise me if there are some good second hand bargains to be had.

Happy shooting - Jon

--- End quote ---

I never thought about the dealer possibly having second hand guns.  I wish we were up in Yorkshire (well, at least to buy guns at) - that county seems to have loads of licensed dealers!!  Hardly any where we are, so we'll have to do a bit of driving.

Anyway, thanks for the good idea.

TomGood:
greetings fella uk inhabitants..

first time posting, and interesting reading the topics..

have to say that im coming more from a self sufficiency vibe rather than a hardcore prepper (hence the good life handle  ;D) but of course that's not to say that im blind to the ways of the world and arent a little bit prepared. luckily they equipment and skill from my gardening and outdoor activities cross over with being prepared.

my only real change has to be an increase in food stocks but the way that the food prices are going up that's just plain sensible..

anyhows enough ramblings.. it seems to me that the as pointed out the major worries that alot on this board seem to share is that unlike our American cousins we dont seem to be trusted with firearms or other less lethal means of self defense.. whilst every one seems to think that air rifles seem to be the way forward (which im sure will be good for hunting rabbits and other little criters of which is all there's left wild) may i suggest that you give a thought towards archery and crossbows...

now the first point is that there is a proud heritage of archery in england (think longbows, robin hood etc etc) and so there are plenty of clubs and such where you can learn safely and practice without any concern from nosy neighbors or being in trouble with the law. whilst there is a skill with archery its quite easily picked up and has the added benefit for all those prepping for a poop hitting the fan event of not relying on pesky to obtain ammo/pellets or co2 gas..

now for those that dont wish to dedicate weekends to archery there is also the crossbow route, designed specifically for the unskilled peasant these are much easier to to learn and dont be fooled into thinking you need to get a super strong one. do some quick research and you can get a simple small recursive 150ibl crossbow that will be both a great intimidation weapon( for you shtf peeps) and also should suffice to hunting anything still in the British isles.. this combined with draw aids if your especially concerned with strength will allow anyone to be equipped..

just a note on safety however.. these are not toys!!! never ever ever point one of these at anyone!!! and i strongly suggest joing a club just to learn the safety procedure so you and others are safe!!... these are intended to kill and can do very serious damage!! even in some mad total world collapsing poop hitting the fan scenario that some people are worried about i would still say never point it directly at anyone!!
just think about it folks, ignoring the obvious tendency for people to overreact and to miss judge a minor disruption as a major event (think about trying to live with repercussions if it all came good again two weeks later) in a major event youd had the added trouble/dilemma of dealing with an aggressor still very much alive but now with your arrow/crossbow sticking out of them!!! not a pleasant scenario to deal with or live with!!!

so enough ramblings for my first post..

peace out

Rosesandtea:
Hi Tom,
(humming TGL theme tune) welcome to the boards.

Your thoughts on bows reflect those of some people on another forum I'm on. 

TomGood:
Hi Rosesandtea

thanks for the welcome.

have been keeping upto date with the recent world economical news and am wondering how long people think the ££ will be worth anything?? (see below)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/run-on-uk-sees-foreign-investors-pull-1-trillion-out-of-the-city-1639413.html

what im wondering is what are uk preppers thoughts on our most likely scenario?? and what are the sort of incident do they have in mind when making prepping decisions??

whilst i honestly think that the much heralded 'british blitz spirit' does have some basis in reality (just see the understated British reaction to the london attacks and the recent floods) ruling out imo sudden mass break down in society and general rioting/looting etc.., we do seem to face some major potential challenges not present elsewhere in America/Canada etc..

for starters im sure that we as a nation import something like 40% of the food eaten in the country.. we have a really messed up service based economy and have imo been batting out of our league economy wise for awhile now, we have the largest national and consumer debt in europe and now the government has started to print money as well . (brilliant idea as thats always worked well in the past!!!) 

we don't suffer natural disasters, have a mild climate  and i cant buy into the whole tin foil hat concepts of black helicopters and NWO and such , so with the exception of the impending overdue flu pandemic i just cant see a sudden shtf scenario, more likely imo is a slow and gradual decline of the society and stability due to economic factors or a global event such as climate change/ peak oil etc etc..

on a side note i would like to recommend the the following book as kind of the British version of 'patriots'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Retrieved-Future-John-Seymour/dp/1872410057

written by the John Seymour so its heavily farming/gardening based!! but be warned there is a heavy slice of tin foil hat'ness to some later chapters.... still not too bad a book. also check out his self sufficiency and gardening non fiction books , there actually rather good.

peace out

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version