Community & Regional Connections > Region Five

Suggestions for places in TX or NM?

<< < (2/3) > >>

machinisttx:
If you're bartering, then you're bypassing the sales tax. I've never looked into it, but I suspect that you're supposed to report it....though I'm sure that very few ever do. It'd be worth a look just to avoid any potential issues.

FrugalFannie:

--- Quote from: machinisttx on June 11, 2017, 06:50:41 PM ---If you're bartering, then you're bypassing the sales tax. I've never looked into it, but I suspect that you're supposed to report it....though I'm sure that very few ever do. It'd be worth a look just to avoid any potential issues.

--- End quote ---
The IRS considers barter a taxable event and reportable as some form of "income."

shadowalker_returns:
For me Texas beats out both NM and OK. The Tax situation and attitudes are much improved for survival/prepper types than NM. Opportunities are better in Texas than OK (IMO). Full disclosure: I live in Texas, not a Texas native. If you like deserts and open plains and government land then NM wins, it is prettier. Most Texas land is under private control. I don't know what it is about OK but after about 3-4 days there I just want to start screaming. Good luke on your choices/moves. :)

Regards,
Shadowlaker

LvsChant:
Well... good luck finding a good location. I've lived in the Albuquerque NM area (if you are still thinking of looking into it, I'd recommend the East Mountains). The city itself has a pretty high crime rate. PM me if you want more info. I'm a NM native.

As for the politics, etc. I have to agree that it isn't that attractive in many ways, although it is a beautiful state.

We also lived in Texas and I liked many things about it, but didn't find the lack of income tax to be that helpful if you are a property owner. the taxes (to pay for ridiculous huge public school facilities that look more like college campuses) were very high. I'd investigate pretty carefully what the property taxes will be before purchasing anything there. Many homes have annual property taxes from $7K-$13K in the Ft. Worth area... probably higher in the Dallas area. It may be something you are willing to put up with, but remember... that tax rate won't drop when your income does at retirement. That DFW region is also very often a tornado magnet, it seems. I have heard there are some other parts of the state that have more reasonable property taxes, but we didn't find them :)

Good luck to you...

machinisttx:
I'm an hour north of D/FW. Some of the small towns/communities in the area don't even have schools...they partner with other small towns and send their kids to school there. Not much point in building a school in a town with a population under 200 when the city a few miles over has plenty of room in theirs. We've had no small number of tornadoes in the last couple of years, some of which did a fair bit of damage to homes/schools/businesses and others which destroyed mostly just trees. A several hundred year old pecan orchard down the road from us got hit pretty hard the last round.

Big school = big city = big taxes. I couldn't live inside the city limits of even a small town(1k pop or less), others seem to thrive in them. IIRC, property taxes on our 18 acres are in the neighborhood of $3k. My uncle's property tax(19 acres next to us) is quite a bit higher, solely because his house is brick instead of siding. Seemingly insignificant details of a home or garage can cost you quite a bit more in property taxes. OTOH, the property tax on my 5 acres in OK was less than $30 this year. *shrug*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version