Author Topic: Strawberry Pot  (Read 9976 times)

Torpedo

Strawberry Pot
« on: April 10, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »
Hi Folks

This is my first attempt to ?make the strawberry pot on the MSB video logs or grow anything period.  If anyone notices anything I could be doing different please let me know.

I'm not sure when and how often to water.  I live in southern Wisconsin. 

Thx Folks

Torpedo

MyEyesAreOpen1776

Re: Strawberry Pot
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »
Torpedo,
It depends on how much rainfall you get.  Our area has been hammered with rain lately; I'm half way tempted to build an ark. Periodically check the soil and make sure it's somewhat moist.  Strawberries need about an inch of water per week during growing season and about 6 hours of sunlight per day.  Good job.

[img width= height=]http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2663/55/85/1667169413/n1667169413_191577_7909894.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 03:21:34 PM by MyEyesAreOpen1776 »

Torpedo

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »
Thanks for the Info,

This is a picture of my progress so far, It's a small glimmer of hope but it got me excited to keep planting and keep trying.

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »
I got 2 dozen strawberry plants 2 weeks ago and planted them in two 5 gallon buckets.  I drilled 8 3/4 inch holes around the sides of each one and also used the drainage holes that were already there.  The holes were kind of small, but they worked.  Only thing is you can't get the roots through that small of a hole, so I had to squish the leaves through, but it worked.  Anyway, they are doing great!  I'm getting a lot of new growth already and I'm even getting about 4-5 berries on one of the plants.

MyEyesAreOpen1776

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 08:00:42 PM »
Torpedo, looks like more than just a glimmer of hope - looks like future strawberry shortcake to me!  Grasshopper2Ant, I am getting some berries too and already consumed one with much pleasure. :)

Offline Jim3

• Prepper
    • Where's Jimbo
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 09:06:59 PM »
My strawberry pot isn't working too well. It seems like the my plants are actually missing.  ??? I think I need to replant and put up some fencing or something.  Any ideas on keeping the critters away without making it a total eyesore.

dhallftworth

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 09:16:03 PM »
put a hot wire going all the way around it and multiple bug zappers with the plastic removed...  :D

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 09:12:46 AM »
Plenty of critters eat berries, straw berry plants, um I don't know.  Squirrels often dig stuff up though just to see what it is even if they don't eat it.  3 tomatoes lost to those jerks already this year.  One more and they won't even get a crack at the peaches!  That gamo 22 makes a squirell into stew fast!

Offline cajunkraut

• Senior Survivalist
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »
I'd be careful with that container. I've left those kind outside before and had the sun bleach them and make them brittle.

Torpedo,
It depends on how much rainfall you get.  Our area has been hammered with rain lately; I'm half way tempted to build an ark. Periodically check the soil and make sure it's somewhat moist.  Strawberries need about an inch of water per week during growing season and about 6 hours of sunlight per day.  Good job.

[img width= height=]http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2663/55/85/1667169413/n1667169413_191577_7909894.jpg[/img]

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 11:50:51 AM »
Will the strawberries be ok in winter time up in say Wyoming if you leave the pot out in the winter? Put a tarp or something on it to protect it from the wind and some weather and will everything come back ok the next year? Bring it inside is not an option for me being the size of my house.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 12:30:26 PM »
Will the strawberries be ok in winter time up in say Wyoming if you leave the pot out in the winter? Put a tarp or something on it to protect it from the wind and some weather and will everything come back ok the next year? Bring it inside is not an option for me being the size of my house.

Personally I would like bury them in a pile of straw mulch or something like that.  A container has advantages and disadvantages, one disadvantage is how bad the roots can freeze in a Wyoming winter.  Of course the nice part in in spring you can then just use the same straw to mulch beds.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 01:18:26 PM »
I will do that. I could make a box to throw around it with the straw in it so that the wind wont blow that away.  :D

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Not to hijack, but to just show off another option for strawberry pots...

I have one of these hanging, 6" PVC planters on either side of my porch.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:58:43 PM by firetoad »

Offline Jim3

• Prepper
    • Where's Jimbo
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 07:48:07 PM »
firetoad, any idea how big the plants can get in a tube like that?  It might be what I need to do to keep my berries away from the critters.

Also, I cant seem to find any more strawberry plants in the stores anymore.  Are they out of season now?

Offline firetoad

• Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 07:59:36 PM »
firetoad, any idea how big the plants can get in a tube like that?  It might be what I need to do to keep my berries away from the critters.

Also, I cant seem to find any more strawberry plants in the stores anymore.  Are they out of season now?

As far as size, I really have no experience with this particular variety.  I am expecting that the plants will nearly cover the entire planter.  What I like about these planters is the fact that they get the strawberries away from slugs.  I can remember that that was our number one strawberry fruit nemesis growing up.   :)

As far as being out of season, I have seen live plants at the local stores.  I actually planted bare root plants several weeks ago and they look like what you see in the pics already. 

I purchased these...  Ozark Beauty Strawberry Plants

Offline Jim3

• Prepper
    • Where's Jimbo
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 10:03:05 PM »
I bought the same bare roots that Jack had in the video but mine were very dry and brittle.  Lesson learned. Stay away from wally world.

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 02:33:51 PM »

Offline firetoad

• Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 02:42:22 PM »
TrashCanMan,

Thank you for the compliments, but, as much as I would like to claim this idea as my own, I cannot.  The original spark in my noggin' came from looking through threads here and elsewhere regarding aquaculture.  Then, we had some other people here create similar planters.  So, I am just one cog in this machine but way down towards the bottom of the ingenuity list for this one.   ;)

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 11:16:28 PM »
I'm using a plain old flower pot, sitting on my desk. I've decided that all my new house plants will be edible.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
New video coming this weekend will be how to convert all the "sisters" that get created in those pots into new plants with two cloning methods.  Stay tuned,

Offline johnnyb_good30

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 11:40:35 PM »
im stating tuned want more how to vids on how to any thing gardening thanks