Author Topic: Vitamins and essential nutrients  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Stonebear

• Prepper
Vitamins and essential nutrients
« on: November 23, 2009, 06:39:57 PM »
I did a quick search and didn't find a dedicated thread. It seems to me that proper nutrition could be one of the most important considerations when in a high stress or a limited resource situation that lasts for an extended period of time. Even with thorough preparation we may find ourselves in a situation which limits our food selection and in turn, our nutrient availability. Id like to know if any one can speak to the following questions:

What multivitamin do you use/store and how much? Do you have a source that you'd recommend?

What other nutrients demand special attention in a high stress, possibly physically strenuous situation? Also, what are the food (plant or animal) sources of these nutrients?

What unique requirements should be considered for youngsters as opposed to the older crowd?

What are the most common medical ailments seen with nutrient deficiency, their symptoms and treatment? This would undoubtedly be a common scene in a post SHTF scenario.

I could keep going, but lets start with that. Feel free to add your own questions.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Re: Vitamins and essential nutrients
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 07:47:15 PM »
My approach is pretty low-tech and I'm sure the real nutritionists on the forum will be agast.

I got an extra big container of multi vitamins at Costco and will vacuum seal them.  They look like this:

Then I got some little daily packs from Costco.  I figure they will be handy individually packaged.  I can give them to people and take some with me if I'm out in the woods.  Here's what they look like:

I might add a container of Costco vitamin D since we don't get much sun in the winter here in western Washington.

You might go to the board by the TSP sponsor Western Botanicals.  You can ask them a question and get some good answers:  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=105.0

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:49:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum Stonebear. I am glad we share common interest in health and wellness.

There are a couple of thread on vitamins. One of them is a thread I did awhile back located here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=9113.0
There are a few other ones but I can't find them at the moment. Sorry.

More scientists, doctors, and nutritionists agree that most Americans do not recieve much of the nutrients we need from our diet alone. This speaks badly of our farming and produce in America. More of them are recommending a multivitamin at the very least to maintain our body's needs for nutrients and minerals. Here is a good resource for information about vitamins and supplements: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/default.aspx

To answer your questions:

1) I keep at least 6 bottles of multivitamins in rotation. I think they are 120 daily vitamins a piece. I also have a weekly rotation to get the most out of other extra vitamins I take. I will repost here from the other thread

I have actually put myself on a vitamin regimen of my own creation after studying various ULs (Upper Limits) and benefits. Since I am not going to get the H1N1 vaccine I am trying to keep my immune system pumped up. Vitamin D is also known to regulate immune system responses and therefore keep Cytokine storms down to a minimum. I take a daily vitamin supplement, and rotate different vitamins throughout the week.

Looks something like this:

Sun  Mon  Tues  Wed  Thurs  Fri  Sat

D      D       D      D       D      D    D
 D3    D3     D3     D3     D3    D3  D3
 C      E        Z      A       C      E    A
 Ca    Mg     Ca     Mg     Ca   Mg   C
                  C                Z            E
                                                 Ca
                                                 Mg
                                                  Z

To clarify D = Daily Multivitamin, D3 = Vitamin D, C = Vitamin C, E = Vitamin E, Z = Zinc, A = Vitamin A, Ca = Calcium, and Mg = Magnesium.

2) Vitamin B Complex (all the variants of Vitamin B) are absolutely needed in high stress. Many of the antioxidants and vitamins I have listed above are also good for your body during stress as they will be used quickly. I am not recommending the above regimen for anyone and I must emphatically state that I am not a doctor, nutritionist, or scientist. I chose this regimen after doing alot of research and knowing about my own body's needs. Don't forget that salt is also needed for exertion and heat exhaustion.

If all you had were multivitamins then I would suggest taking two daily vitamins a day (one with iron and another one without iron - one AM and one PM) to combat stress and keep your body replenished with what it needs.

There are many foods and plants that supply these vitamins. I refer you to three episodes of TSP (Ep. 308 Western Botanicals, Ep. 312 8 easy to identify edible plants, and Ep. 316 8 more easy to identify edible plants). Just off the top of my head - some plants: Pine needle tea, raw onions, raw garlic, lambs quarters, echinacea or coneflower, dandelions and black-eyed susans.

3) Generally the amount of vitamins and nutrients children need are about the same as adults. Childrens mutivtiamins usually have a little less, and ALWAYS be careful with iron and children. Vitamin A and Iron are two most commonly overdosed vitamins in America or children and adults.

4) According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005, adults are often deficient in:

Calcium
Magnesium
Vitamin A (as carotenoids)
Vitamins C
Vitamin E  

However I would add Vitamin D as being one of the highest insufficiencies in Americans today. It is my belief many sicknesses come from lack of Vitamin D, but again I must state I am not a doctor and you should consult with one before starting any kind of vitamin regimen. 400 units of Vitamin D is barely enough to keep people from getting rickets. Lack of Vitamin C causes scurvy. Go to Web MD and look up the uses of these vitamins and they will give you more than adequate information on the deficiency of them and what they are.

I consider having vitamins and mineral supplements a crucial part of my food preps, but not the only resource for them.

In addition, James Talmage Steven's book Making the Best of Basics has a wonderful section on this area of preps. I suggest reading it. It is very informative.
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:55:24 PM by ColdHaven »

Offline Stonebear

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 08:10:21 PM »
Wow! Yes, its definitely helpful. I appreciate all the info. Now to dig into it.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Freedom is precious......do something to keep it!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:42:41 AM »
Wow! Yes, its definitely helpful. I appreciate all the info. Now to dig into it.
This is where I go first for prep. I am accumulating info to add to what we do. Good information!
Good prepping friends.  :)

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • snowbird / boondocker
    • boondock plan
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »
My approach is pretty low-tech and I'm sure the real nutritionists on the forum will be agast.

I got an extra big container of multi vitamins at Costco and will vacuum seal them.  They look like this:

Sounds like a practical approach to me, as long as they are in rotation.  My instinct is that in a real PAW one could probably get most of the benefits by eating one a week (for example) instead of daily. 

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 04:04:24 PM »
Sounds like a practical approach to me, as long as they are in rotation.  My instinct is that in a real PAW one could probably get most of the benefits by eating one a week (for example) instead of daily. 

I agree. If you are not doing a lot of strenous activity then taking daily vitamins less often during the week would probably have more benefit to it and will stretch your reserves further.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 05:39:01 PM »
As with food, while there is a need for stored vitamins, you need to GROW your vitamins.

One example:

The Moringa or "drumstick " tree (moringa oleifera) "is an all-natural, inexpensive and accessible multi-vitamin," says Lowell Fuglie, West Africa representative of Church World Service. The tree's leaves contain high amounts of Vitamin A (four times more than carrots), Vitamin C (seven times more than oranges), protein (twice that of milk), calcium (four times more than milk) and potassium (triple the amount in bananas).

http://www.leafforlife.org/PAGES/MORINGA.HTM
http://www.leafforlife.org/PAGES/MORINGAC.HTM

The folks at www.leafforlife.org tell us there are over 1000 species of plants bear leaves that are eaten, to some extent by humans.  They provide some details on selected 16 "favorites" and 50 others as "honorable mention", following up with mere the names of 983 plants with edible leaves

The folks at Plants for a Future, www.pfaf.org have an extensive online database of plants, free for downloading.  At their website they present separately their "top rated" overall plants, "top rated" for edibility, and "top rated" for medical purposes. 

Purdue University has their “famine foods” site at:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/FamineFoods/ff_home.html

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 06:24:40 PM »

I got an extra big container of multi vitamins at Costco and will vacuum seal them.  They look like this:

This is exacly what I do, except I don't seal them.  I take one a day anyways, so I just have an extra bottle of 500 on hand and rotate through.  Same thing I do with tylonal & asprin.  As soon as I need to break into the "backup" bottle in my emergency kit, I will go buy a new bottle.

BTW, you get more in the bottle at Cosco for the same price if you get the "daily multivitamin" rather than the "Performance Pro Vitamin".  Same vitamins, just more normal doses (still plenty).

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:30:53 PM by Serellan »

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 08:40:41 PM »
Very good idea. Rotation will keep you fresh product all the time (and especially if that SHTF time comes). Unfortunately most vitamins have a very limited shelf life, having them at the start of a SHTF crisis could be a real lifesaver. WELL DONE!! ;)

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 09:13:07 PM »
Its like the old adage. "Eat what you store, store what you eat..." and like James T. Stevens says "...use it or lose it" Keeping 6 multivitamins for myself (let alone others in my family) at 130 gives me a little over two years worth of vitamins. Vitamins do not 'go bad'. They start losing potency at that range, but if you keep them in a cool, dark, dry place then you should not have too much to worry about.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 10:22:40 AM »

This is exacly what I do, except I don't seal them.  I take one a day anyways, so I just have an extra bottle of 500 on hand and rotate through.  Same thing I do with tylonal & asprin.  As soon as I need to break into the "backup" bottle in my emergency kit, I will go buy a new bottle.

I rotate too.  I use them at home and rotate them.  But I have a sealed container of multivitimans and a container of daily packs at the BOL.  I will probably use those when I run out at the house and keep a sealed set in reserve at the BOL.