Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Primitive Skills & Earth Skills

SCORE: I found massive groundnut colonies along a river

(1/4) > >>

surfivor:
 I have found a few sizable groundut colonies along some roads, but I finally decided to check out a river in the area that appears to have some sandy banks and found groundnuts growing literally all over the place in the one area where I came down to the river. In an area that was easily 1/2 acre there was just groundnuts everywhere. I found a decent access spot and dug up some tubers for dinner. I have tended to not do that along roads as it's too conspicuous, but down by the river, no one is around .. This spot is sort of near my BOL. The banks of the river have alot of sand/clay and seem to flood a bit during high water but is not a raging torrent .. That seems to be what groundnuts like from what I understand ..

I need to look for other access spots and may even consider doing a canoe trip on this river to see what I find. Alot of roads heading down the river ended up being someone's driveway, but I still have alot of options to check out on this ..

For anyone not aware, this was a major food source for the native americans and early colonists ..

MyBookie:
What a great find!.  I would love to grow some here on my homestead.  Would you be willing to send me some in one of those small priority mail boxes they give you free at the post office.  I would send you money in advance.  You'd be really helping a brother out.  Regardless, congratulations on your amazing find.

fritz_monroe:
Great find.  Congrats.

surfivor:

--- Quote from: MyBookie on December 07, 2011, 11:17:30 AM ---What a great find!.  I would love to grow some here on my homestead.  Would you be willing to send me some in one of those small priority mail boxes they give you free at the post office.  I would send you money in advance.  You'd be really helping a brother out.  Regardless, congratulations on your amazing find.

--- End quote ---

I will see what I can do. I have some in the fridge that I dug up in early October. I dug up a few just the other day. Once the ground freezes I won't be able to get any that easily until spring .. I am curious if the ones I dug up in October will still be plantable in the spring ..

surfivor:
 What I have found is that in mid summer to late summer, some spots are harder to harvest groundnuts because they grow amongst other plants and there is alot of plant growth. During that time of year I found it easier to dig them up in some spots along the river where it was sandy and the occasional high water kept other stuff from growing as much. I was also stung by a bee going amongst some thick weeds trying to dig up ground nuts in the summer. The ground nut plants are bigger this time of year and trying to transplant them then it seems like they tend to die back and the root either dies or goes dormant until next year maybe.

In the fall or early winter, there is less undergrowth to content with, but it can be a little harder to locate the withered ground nut vines to figure out where to dig. This time of year seems like a good time to get the ground nuts and store them in the fridge until spring perhaps or maybe have some I could send you in the mail.

In the spring, you can see the plants and they are smaller. This seems like a good time to dig them up and transplant them. Maybe in early spring I could dig them up and mail them as well. Not sure if early winter is better to dig them up.

Trying to pick a good location is key. I don't spend too much time on the side of the road digging as cars go by and they may wonder what I am doing. Some places that are best along the river, I have to park on the road and walk down a dirt road to the back of someone's corn field. I am not sure if they would try to tell me I couldn't go back there if they saw me. There are other spots, but that one was one of the best ..

I created a few small clearings, but one way in the back I planted a groundnut and it shot up really fast and it ended up climbing about 9 feet as I cut a tall sapling and made a treelis out of it. It wasn't really leafy with alot of big leaves, but I had transplanted in very late spring from a small plant. Another one in that areas seemed to do very well too. It is a little wet in certain areas back there, but I plan to plant more groundnuts in that spot for sure and cut some more trees to get a little more sun in there maybe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version