Author Topic: Who makes a good compass?  (Read 26298 times)

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
Who makes a good compass?
« on: June 28, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »
the one I have had forever is not feeling well and thought I would ask here to see if someone had some idea of what is good out there.

Offline The Fishin Magician

• Prepper
Re: Who makes a good compass?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »
 The Suunto MC-2G Global Compass is my personal favorite. Not only is it a good orienteering compass for use in conjunction with maps, but it's multi-purpose, too...the magnifying lens can be used to start fires and help in seeing those little splinters that need digging out, and the sighting mirror can be used for emergency signalling (and checking out your "bed hair" in the mornings!  ;D)

Maybe you could tell us in a little more detail exactly what you need a compass to do for you?  Without knowing what your specific needs are, I can't be any more helpful than that with my recommendations.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:19:20 PM »
I am looking for a general purpose compass to keep with my usgs topo maps as a back up incase the wonderful gps system takes a dump and I have to go back to my old ways of navigating :)

Offline The Fishin Magician

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 04:30:47 PM »
In that case, I would think the compass I recommended above or a Silva Ranger sighting compass would get you around in fine style. If that's a little more than you were expecting to spend and a little too fancy, you could just go with a plain old baseplate compass like the Suunto M-2D. Just be sure to get something that has adjustable declination.

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 12:22:22 PM »
I am partial to the K & M Match Case that comes with a good compass in the cap.

Offline Lara

• TSP Med Control
  • Prepper
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:17:16 PM »
Heh.  Since this section of the board is entitled "Primitive Skills & Earth Skills," my first thought when I read the thread title "Who makes a good compass?" was....well, I do.   ;)  Here's what I mean:

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hiking/compass2.htm

But I don't actually do this on trail.  I carry a Suunto.   :P

Offline chromesoldier

• Survivor
  • When in doubt do it again.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:27:02 PM »
I have several Sunnto and Silvas and they are all good ones but I have had them break on me. The only one that hasnt is a Camenga. The only reason the military uses it. I have one that I had since I was a kid and it still works.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:55:36 PM »
Silva has been the outdoorsman standard for as long as I can remember.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 11:23:56 PM »
Suunto or Silva baseplate model.

Offline Sequanti

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »
I still have my Silva from Boy Scouts. Still works and has held up well.

Are you looking for something that simply points north, or are you into the whole orienteering thing where you need to account for declination to arrive at a pinpoint position?

Offline jbm555

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 07:49:26 AM »
I am looking for a general purpose compass to keep with my usgs topo maps as a back up incase the wonderful gps system takes a dump and I have to go back to my old ways of navigating :)

I've tried a few different ones and I still prefer the one I used in the army.  It's made by Cammenga.  Unless you plan on doing a lot of navigating at night and practicing light discipline then skip the tritium option.  They're scaled in degrees and mills.  However, you probably won't find mills very useful.  These are tough and I've had mine for years.  The tritium wore out several years ago but I no longer have to navigate the woods at night without a flashlight. 

Funny, you use the compass and topo as a backup for your gps.  I use my gps as a backup to my compass and topo.   ;D

http://www.thecompassstore.com/military27.html?productid=military27&channelid=FROOG&ctype=2&gclid=CJusjavTnqgCFYS8KgodR0MVHw

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 11:16:17 AM »
I had a taylor back when I was a kid in scouts. I wish I still had it.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 10:38:18 AM »

http://www.thecompassstore.com/military27.html?productid=military27&channelid=FROOG&ctype=2&gclid=CJusjavTnqgCFYS8KgodR0MVHw

I guess my tastes in compass match the reset of the world....tried to pick up 4 different ones and all sold out. I do have one of the old military ones - what little glow it had back in 1980's has long sense faded.   I was looking to pickup another military style + a few cheaper ones to toss in each first aide kit.

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 08:22:46 AM »
Regardless of brands a heavy duty lensatic or Engineering compass is the best way to go. You don't need the most expensive thing out there but don't by the cheapest either. Plus the magnifying glass is a sweet plus for a additional fire starter. If you pick up a military version just be aware not to confuse mils with degrees. If you make the mistake of using mils you will end somewhere entirely different than expected. I had several people do this on land nav courses.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »
http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/#filter=1061

Cavers use suunto compass and clinometer in cave mapping, can't beat them..  They have 1 degree accuracy and can be read to the 1/4 degree.  Millitary field compasses are good for 3 to 5 degree accurace but can be read to the degree.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »
http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Specialty/SUUNTO-KB-14/

This KB 14 was the compass that I was talking about.. which cavers use in mapping caves.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »
I've had the same Silva Ranger for over 20 years. I'm sure there are other brands that are as good, or maybe better, but I have no reason to change. ;)

Offline Wingman115

• Survivor
    • Wingman115 YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »
Ditto on the Silva Ranger. I had mine for about 30 years before it gave up the ghost...Great compass.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 04:51:14 PM »
Silvas sold in the US and Canada are not longer real Silva compasses. Due to a law suite in 1996, the distributor won the rights to the name int the US. US Silvas are now made in Asia are not the quality they once were.  For a while true silvas were sold under the Burton name, but that was sold when Fiskers bough Silva.  Burtons are now being made in Asia as well it would seem.

That leaves us with Suunto.  They are expensive, but quality.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »
Cammenga.com military issue compass. If you go to their site and order there they have a other colors including Camo avail. Incase you want something different or unique. Or want to put a different color compass in each vehicle so you can know who's is who's

Offline biu

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • into the wild
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 09:51:35 PM »
Silva

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 03:05:43 AM »
The Suunto KB-14 is a very good unit. I also have a Recta DP2, a Suunto wrist (divers) model, Recta wrist compass (not the little clip-on button types), and a German WW2 marching compass .

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »
. . . and a German WW2 marching compass .

Is it predominantly oriented to east-west travel?

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 06:15:55 AM »
It's packed away, I'd have to look at it again. I'll try and remember to dig it out and get back with you on that one.

Offline Bear

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
Suunto makes a good compass.  I have the MC-2.  Most of the people on my search team has these.  I can tell you that, after doing searches with the NYS DEC in some very bad and cold weather in some "fun" places, this compass is going good.  The adjustable declination on any compass is a big plus.  The numbers on mine are big enough to see while sighting and at night the dial and arrows light up bright and is still easy to read the compass.  We also have gps (Garming 60csx) but is mostly used as a back up, logging tracks, and marking bump lines. 

Offline PBPreppers

• Prepper
  • Prepping for something .....
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »
The current UK Forces Silva compass does me and thousands other well, and i think its cheap, well it was for me :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_kw=SILVA+COMPASS+-+BRITISH+ARMY+MOD+TYPE+4%2F54+EXPEDITION+IN+MILS+-+EXCELLENT+COND

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »
I've used a GI issue Suunto M-5SK for years. I carry it in an old glasses case, stuffed into a breast pocket. Simple, reliable, no complaints.

soupbone