Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Primitive Skills & Earth Skills

wintergreen tea is pretty awesome I found out

(1/1)

surfivor:

I was out hiking and found some wintergreen, decided to take some leaves back. When I got back I saw that Petersen field guide to edible wild plants says it makes excellent tea so I boiled some water and steeped the leaves with some sugar. I was absolutely amazed at how good the tea was, better than alot of store bought stuff, my friend also was amazed.

MyBookie:
Thank you for your post.  I will try this.  I have it growing here on the homestead. Unfortunately, I had to buy it - not growing wild.  I'm always looking for good tea plants I can grow since me family has an semi-expensive tea habit.

Morning Sunshine:
I was just reading Farmer Boy by Laura I. Wilder.  anyway, Almonzo's sister grabbed a pail of the leaves and took them to her mom.  Her mom packed them TIGHT into a jar and poured whiskey over the leaves to make flavoring for the rest if the year.

Klonus:
If you can, try using maple sap in place of sugar. It tastes great.

surfivor:

--- Quote from: MyBookie on December 07, 2011, 11:43:02 AM ---Thank you for your post.  I will try this.  I have it growing here on the homestead. Unfortunately, I had to buy it - not growing wild.  I'm always looking for good tea plants I can grow since me family has an semi-expensive tea habit.

--- End quote ---

apparently it doesn't spread very fast from what a guy at the nursery told me, but he was very anti permaculture and had something negative to say about almost any plant I wanted to try to grow ..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version