Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Primitive Skills & Earth Skills

Firewood question – weird smell

(1/5) > >>

dragonart:
We recently had some oak firewood delivered, but the wood has a weird smell to it.  I've never smelled anything like it.  It smells like pickles or vinegar.

Is this normal with red oak firewood?  Or could it be something nasty or dangerous?

Red Dog:
It's tough to diagnose a smell over the web, but here goes....  Some oak when cut while wet (read green) has a very astringent odor,  I wouldn't describe it as vinegar but I don't know what to compare it too.  If the wood isn't seasoned let it sit for a few months to dry and see if the odor is still there.  Worst case burn a few pieces outside and see if the odor is present during combustion.

CTF250:
I agree on the astringent smell.  Ive notived that when red oak is green and hasnt had a chance to season it does produce an oder.  Ive noticed it mostly when when spitting it. 

Sounds like the wood you received wasnt spit too long ago.  Stack it, protect it aginst the elements and allow it to air dry and the odor should go away.

dragonart:

--- Quote from: Red Dog on December 07, 2008, 07:13:25 PM ---It's tough to diagnose a smell over the web, but here goes....  Some oak when cut while wet (read green) has a very astringent odor,  I wouldn't describe it as vinegar but I don't know what to compare it too.  If the wood isn't seasoned let it sit for a few months to dry and see if the odor is still there.  Worst case burn a few pieces outside and see if the odor is present during combustion.

--- End quote ---

Thanks.  It seems seasoned; it cuts very easily and sounds hollow when dropped or stacked.  Maybe it does just need a little more time in the stack, but it doesn't produce any noticable odor when burned.  It's when we're carrying it or stacking it that we notice the smell, and it smells like a weird combination of pickles and apple cider vinegar.  Very, very strange smell.

dragonart:

--- Quote from: CTF250 on December 07, 2008, 07:44:07 PM ---I agree on the astringent smell.  Ive notived that when red oak is green and hasnt had a chance to season it does produce an oder.  Ive noticed it mostly when when spitting it. 

Sounds like the wood you received wasnt spit too long ago.  Stack it, protect it aginst the elements and allow it to air dry and the odor should go away.

--- End quote ---

I'm wondering if it could be chainsaw oil or some kind of machinery oil that I am smelling?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version