Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Primitive Skills & Earth Skills

Wilderness Survival Schools

(1/12) > >>

Gray Ghost:
I have been casually looking at wilderness survival schools for the past year. Currently I am going back and forth between the Tom Brown Jr school and the RAT Survival School. Has anyone been to one or both of these? Recommendations on other schools? Pros, cons, etc?

Sister Wolf:
I don't know anything about those two schools.  I do know that there are a LOT of people who think that Tom Brown Jr. is a fraud, and won't have anything to do with him (but I'm not terribly sure of their reasons, so that's all I can give you).

I know these guys: http://www.weteachu.com/

And I highly recommend them, because they're good people, and I've worked for them in the recent past.

marauder:
If you are looking for a primitive living skills class, the Tom Brown school is probably the best one in the world. 

Gray Ghost:

--- Quote from: marauder on January 31, 2010, 06:19:47 PM ---If you are looking for a primitive living skills class, the Tom Brown school is probably the best one in the world. 

--- End quote ---

He seems to be quit the polarizing personality. People seem to either love him or hate him.

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: Gray Ghost on February 03, 2010, 02:22:26 PM ---He seems to be quit the polarizing personality. People seem to either love him or hate him.

--- End quote ---

That's what I was thinking too.  I don't know the reasons for hating him though.  I just know that some people really do not care for him, his books, his knife, or his school.  *shrugs*

I went back and read some threads about him on another board after I saw that Marauder loves his school, and I guess PART of the issue is that his books are largely fiction, according to hard-core survival type of people.  They say that half his suggestions do not work at all (or are totally impractical), and the other half aren't done the way he suggests things be done.  I don't know that from personal experience, though, since I've never bought anything from him.

Also, if I remember correctly, Nutnfancy HATES the tracker knife.  He says that it's far too heavy, not well balanced, and is a joke as far as a survival knife goes.

But again - that's somebody else's opinion.  I don't have a tracker, but I do respect Nutnfancy a LOT, and will listen to him regarding that knife.  You gotta make your own choice there.

Whatever you choose, I'd love to read about your experience, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Please post it here!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version