Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Edged Weapons and Tools

Going on vacation, need a cheap knife I can throw away

<< < (2/4) > >>

Chemsoldier:
I have no issues with any of the suggestions. For light cutting work, don't look down your nose at gas station knives. I don't consider them for serious work but they keep your serious knife (cutting seat belts, muggers, etc) from getting dulled or nasty from opening packages and letters.

A lot of them are locking blade and one hand opening now.

Carl:
  For a lower cost HEAVY KNIFE the condor Rodan though I would gift it to someone rather than throw it away . it is
one of my favorites.

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Polypropylene-Handle-Leather-Sheath/dp/B002CBWQ0C/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1486383830&sr=1-1&keywords=condor+rodan

And for a good medium knofe a Mora craftline robust is one tough hombre

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Robust-Carbon-Sheath/dp/B00SROLRDK/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1486383852&sr=1-2&keywords=mora+knife

bartsdad:
Walmart. I can get by with the cheapie for a week or so. Pocket knives at walmart.com you can order and ship to store for free. I like to look for Walmarts before I travel for work to be able to pick up snacks and such after I land.

NWPilgrim:

--- Quote from: bartsdad on February 06, 2017, 02:52:37 PM ---Walmart. I can get by with the cheapie for a week or so. Pocket knives at walmart.com you can order and ship to store for free. I like to look for Walmarts before I travel for work to be able to pick up snacks and such after I land.

--- End quote ---

I do the same thing (not Walmart specifically but groceries, etc).  My first stop outside the airport is to pick up some bottles of water and some food and anything I might have forgotten.  Sometimes plans don't work out and I've end up back at a hotel late with most food places are closed and I hadn't eaten since lunch.  Or my flights were seriously delayed/canceled and when I arrive it is 1am.  Usually a Safeway is open.  Walmart or similar would be even better.  Just have to be sure of the neighborhood before roaming around that late, or wait and shop first thing in the morning before meetings.  I've been in several offices where there was a very local power outage due to construction mistakes, so even when everything seems normal a hotel can be out of power too.  A few items can make any disruption more tolerable.

I totally understand the convenience of only taking carry-on.  When we travel overseas that is what we do because losing luggage could be a real hassle, expense and inconvenience.  But traveling within the US I am willing to risk a lost bag for the convenience of having everything I want: firearm, knives, survival kit, first aid kit, sewing kit, etc.  Only once was my baggage lost with a firearm, on Southwest out of Portland and it was delivered to the hotel the next morning intact (it was put on a much later flight).  When I travel with my wife we put one change of clothes in each other's bag so if one is lost that person will have at least some clothes to switch between. And we both take similar "accessories" so we have at least one set if needed.

NWPilgrim:
Another possibility is to buy an inexpensive knife online and have it shipped to your hotel/friend where you are staying over.  If you don't need a folder, then the Morakniv sheath knives are a fantastic value.  I've bought several of the Companion stainless knives for around $13 each and carbon blades are even cheaper ($11).  If you have Prime subscription then shipping is free.
https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Utility-Sandvik-Stainless/dp/B00T3E692M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486432840&sr=8-4&keywords=morakniv

Although, I like the Morakniv knives so much it would be hard to part with one even at $11.  Just FYI, the $35 Bushcraft model is superb as well, but the Campanion SS is an unbeatable deal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version