Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage

Any containers/packaging we should avoid?

(1/3) > >>

Gamer:
Should we be aware of what our food/drink is contained in?
For example there have been stories like below circulating for years but it seems as if the powers-that-be are playing it down to protect the aluminium industry.
Personally to be on the safe side I gave up using aluminium pots and pans for cooking years ago and switched to nonstick teflon-coated types-

Are there any other containers and packaging materials we should also be wary of, for example I think I heard that plastic drink containers might affect the contents?

LvsChant:
Teflon-coated cookware is nice for the ease of cleanup and reduced sticking, but as it ages, the coating can begin to flake off into the food, which is not good.

You might want to consider looking for good stainless steel cookware or enameled cast-iron.

Gamer:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on September 23, 2020, 10:54:25 AM ---Teflon-coated cookware is nice for the ease of cleanup and reduced sticking, but as it ages, the coating can begin to flake off into the food, which is not good.
You might want to consider looking for good stainless steel cookware or enameled cast-iron.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, stainless steel and enamelled iron sounds good, but at the moment I'm treating my Teflon items gently by using a plastic or wooden spoon to stir the stuff in them rather than using a metal fork which might scratch the coating, so hopefully they'll last years before flaking..:)

LvsChant:
High heat tends to make the coating break down sooner, so avoid using higher temps.

David in MN:
Teflon fumes are dangerous for pet birds. Most Teflon pans come with a warning because Teflon will literally kill the canary in the coal mine.

We ditched the Teflon years ago but I'll confess to keeping aluminum bakeware. Not sure I'd use a pan because I like cast iron and stainless better but for a cakepan or half sheet the aluminum stuff is king.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version