Author Topic: Contact tracing  (Read 2138 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Contact tracing
« on: May 07, 2020, 11:13:33 AM »
This was on the radio, if they think you have been exposed to the virus they are going to call your phone. If you ignore the calls, they will eventually come to your house. I don't trust the testing process to begin with and I don't really like the sound of this whole thing. I'm sure plenty of other people will feel the same way.

I recall how test kits at one time where contaminated with the virus by the CDC. I am sure no one was ever fired. They will never fire any one no matter how bad the apparent screw up. Many such usual things do not inspire confidence and only increase doubts and suspicions

https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2020/04/18/contact-tracing-massachusetts-covid19-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR0RVC0Ir5CSXYjnlWIQKog9tOkeyFYbza5joGr5DRvrag85tXWIaNJ-TRc

Privacy concerns and lack of privacy protections mentioned in this article

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/1/21243977/gop-senators-contact-tracing-data-coronavirus-covid-19-privacy?fbclid=IwAR36T_Nvt0dl7mBkebCTsb1A3aaNdM84jDLXnRs9ibnPWNaHEPCNsYtGdE0

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Contact tracing
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 12:03:02 PM »
Contact tracing works.

In my unit we have used it very successfully.  We managed to sequester off people before they became symptomatic through phone call contact tracing.  They would have been walking around the unit area for days before we knew, if we would ever know.

I have a lot of concerns on the use of cell phone data for contact tracking, but the old fashioned interviewing and calling method is something that could really help, if we want to get back to something approximating normal.

Is there risk to freedoms in it?  Sure.  But that risk is always there.
Something analogous might be police surveillance.  Things left in plain sight from someone who is legally able to be there is fair game.  So a police detective can sit in a car on the street and observe without a warrant.  He needs warrant to wiretap.  A police aircraft can use public airspace that is available to a private pilot to fly overhead and look in your back yard under the same laws.  There is concern about that ability, but it is partially mitigated by the by-hour cost to run a police helicopter.  That is one reason why there are such concerns about drones.  They drastically reduce the cost to look in someone's backyard.  But then again, I can buy a cheap drone as a civilian as well.

So I see "manual" contact tracing as the police helicopter.  It is concerning, but it is a useful tool in an abnormal situation. 

While it can absolutely be misused, it is not as prone to abuse as contract tracing apps where someone can get a hold of massive amounts of data about who is close to who and where they are.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 02:05:04 PM »
One thing to watch out for: fake text messages saying that you have been exposed.  The fake link will take you to an evil website (phishing, malware, or some other scam).  This is fairly widespread.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 06:44:31 PM »
 maybe contact testing works for the military, but I never signed up for the military and I decided in high school that boot camp wasn't for me based on the behavior of our football coach. I think I heard that constitutional protections don't apply within the military either

they actually numbered this bill 6666 ..

https://thedailycoin.org/2020/05/07/house-proposes-hr-6666-and-its-tyranny-being-unveiled-before-americas-sleeping-eyes/

If this bill passes the government will have authority to come IN YOUR HOME and test you. Among other things.”

https://www.change.org/p/rand-paul-stop-h-r-6666-from-being-passed-and-immediately-remove-all-supporting-parties-from-office-f67c86c8-0791-40a4-8447-6c63c4f27ccb?source_location=topic_page

H.R. 6666 is designed to allow big Government into your house and into your personal, and your families Health matters.

H.R. 6666 Grant's rights and control to the Government that takes the rights of personal care and health decisions away from parents and families.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 07:46:53 PM »
maybe contact testing works for the military, but I never signed up for the military and I decided in high school that boot camp wasn't for me based on the behavior of our football coach. I think I heard that constitutional protections don't apply within the military either

they actually numbered this bill 6666 ..

https://thedailycoin.org/2020/05/07/house-proposes-hr-6666-and-its-tyranny-being-unveiled-before-americas-sleeping-eyes/

If this bill passes the government will have authority to come IN YOUR HOME and test you. Among other things.”

https://www.change.org/p/rand-paul-stop-h-r-6666-from-being-passed-and-immediately-remove-all-supporting-parties-from-office-f67c86c8-0791-40a4-8447-6c63c4f27ccb?source_location=topic_page

H.R. 6666 is designed to allow big Government into your house and into your personal, and your families Health matters.

H.R. 6666 Grant's rights and control to the Government that takes the rights of personal care and health decisions away from parents and families.

When I went to the .gov site and looked at the text of the bill, it is only to give grant money for things like testing, etc.... it does not specify anything about how.  Not saying the states are not going to go crazy, or that fed should be paying this, just that the actual bill is just a funding bill

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 09:07:21 PM »
It does seem to mention funding for testing “at residences”

It was also on the radio locally on Friday that they will call your phone, if you don’t answer the call then they are coming to your house and it clearly sounded like they are going to make you quarantine. If you are unable to quarantine then they will provide the facility or hotel whatever it may be to quarantine. They tried to make it all sound very smooth like it’s all for your own good and for the community

People who otherwise have never been conspiracy theorists and who are on FB are reading this in an extremely negative light is what I am seeing. I am seeing a surge in conspiracy stuff and anti government sentiment on FB like I have never seen
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:23:09 PM by surfivor »

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 06:37:38 AM »
It does seem to mention funding for testing “at residences”

It was also on the radio locally on Friday that they will call your phone, if you don’t answer the call then they are coming to your house and it clearly sounded like they are going to make you quarantine. If you are unable to quarantine then they will provide the facility or hotel whatever it may be to quarantine. They tried to make it all sound very smooth like it’s all for your own good and for the community

People who otherwise have never been conspiracy theorists and who are on FB are reading this in an extremely negative light is what I am seeing. I am seeing a surge in conspiracy stuff and anti government sentiment on FB like I have never seen

Surfie.  A lot of the tumult right now is the legality of quarantine and certain movement restrictions on healthy people.  But if you are going to argue that cities and state cannot quarantine you if you are sick or might be sick, american history and legal precedent is very clear that cities and states can and have numerous times throughout the history of this country. This includes health departments coming to residences to diagnonsis, posting quarantine signs on people's property, etc.

You may not like the idea of the state able to make you stay home if you are sick, or post the Scarlet Q on your door,  but you are going to have to argue for a new standard to be established if you are going to argue it should be illegal for them to do so.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 06:58:35 AM »
Surfie.  A lot of the tumult right now is the legality of quarantine and certain movement restrictions on healthy people.  But if you are going to argue that cities and state cannot quarantine you if you are sick or might be sick, american history and legal precedent is very clear that cities and states can and have numerous times throughout the history of this country. This includes health departments coming to residences to diagnonsis, posting quarantine signs on people's property, etc.

You may not like the idea of the state able to make you stay home if you are sick, or post the Scarlet Q on your door,  but you are going to have to argue for a new standard to be established if you are going to argue it should be illegal for them to do so.

might maybe be sick ? For how long can they keep this going for 3 years ? What is the longest quarantine and when have we had such a central controlled CDC run mandate ? Many people do not think it's constitutional but lawyers always have various arguments from different angles.

I'm sure the state has powers to quarantine for the regular flu, for colds or any disease but if enough people think it looks unreasonable then I am not sure where it leads

If they could say no more handshakes then why not say you can't have chickens without a lot of red tape because maybe they are carrying a disease ? I'm sure the state has the authority to do that but it would be disastrous for small farms

I am not aware of any time in US history when a government response to a disease that had questionable severity led to a severe economic depression which seems like where we are rapidly headed

People don't trust the information either, you have censorship so that either various voices of health care professionals are not heard or when they are heard, what they say greatly contradicts the CDC. That means many people think the rules and government reaction is vastly unwarranted

When I look up at the history of quarantines, it appears to be either fairly limited in this country or perhaps it is to quarantine of sick people. Sometimes migrants have been quarantined.

Several people also want to restrict the governors ability to declare ongoing emergency orders such as the governor can declare a 15 day emergency but to extend it then the state legislature would need to approve it.

From an article: "Last week Dr. Anthony Fauci suggested Americans should never shake hands again. History tells us that the handshake started as a suspicious gesture. Some think it was always a bad greeting."

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 07:21:47 AM by surfivor »

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 09:18:44 AM »
quarantine comes from the Italian/Latin word for 40.  Forty days to let a disease run its course and come out of the contagious phase.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 05:41:47 PM »
MODERATOR NOTE: three posts on kabbalistic mysticism removed, not relevant to COVID-19 pandemic.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 06:40:49 PM »
MODERATOR NOTE: three posts on kabbalistic mysticism removed, not relevant to COVID-19 pandemic.

It was the best explanation for the 40 day time period

Offline Mona

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 01:18:48 PM »
I think a 14 day quarantine is the most that would actually be needed due to contact tracing if you are able to test a person during the later part of it. At that point you either got sick and better, sick and went to a hospital, or you don't show symptoms and can get tested positive or negative and as there isn't any real hurry you could use a test with a high degree of accuracy and most likely be on your way. If you get sick and have family you might just get to the 40 days... . If your contact was a couple of days ago you might just get cleared right away.
General lockdowns are an entirely different matter and in my opinion should be limited to significantly hit areas.

Offline Mintbird

• Senior Survivalist
  • Prepping since 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 11:42:34 AM »
Is Contract Tracing really a good thing? Here's a video from a California woman who signed up to be a Contract Tracer. It doesn't sound good. The video is 22 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg&feature=emb_rel_end

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 01:31:22 PM »
Is Contract Tracing really a good thing? Here's a video from a California woman who signed up to be a Contract Tracer. It doesn't sound good. The video is 22 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg&feature=emb_rel_end

wrong video.  Unless the contact tracer is a squirrel. 

Offline Mintbird

• Senior Survivalist
  • Prepping since 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 03:01:05 PM »
Sorry about that. I must have copied the following video  :( Try this one: https://youtu.be/qFUyZWw7qoc

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 03:23:21 PM »
Sorry about that. I must have copied the following video  :( Try this one: https://youtu.be/qFUyZWw7qoc

is ok... the kids loved that video  ;)

Offline Mintbird

• Senior Survivalist
  • Prepping since 2012
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 03:57:45 PM »
is ok... the kids loved that video  ;)

OMG, I just watched the squirrel video. It was fantastic!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 04:10:23 PM »
OMG, I just watched the squirrel video. It was fantastic!

like, who has time for that!  but wow.  FUN stuff