Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage

Maybe I am doing it wrong? Emergency food storage

<< < (2/4) > >>

Redman:
Excellent sale watch list Carl. I do similar. Meal in a Jar may be good, I'm looking at it and there are several books available on Amazon and/or elsewhere. I don't know how well it stores and I haven't looked at it enough to find that info.

Carl:

--- Quote from: Redman on June 29, 2018, 05:28:08 PM ---Excellent sale watch list Carl. I do similar. Meal in a Jar may be good, I'm looking at it and there are several books available on Amazon and/or elsewhere. I don't know how well it stores and I haven't looked at it enough to find that info.

--- End quote ---

The continuous rotation and convenience of the MEAL IN A JAR concept is a bit beyond my current ability,so I must purchase such pre-made meals and honestly have only planned calorie dense edibles for my survival needs as I realistically will not last long without my cancer treatments that ,so far,only slows down the progression of the cancers in me and shows no sign of stopping the disease. But I can still add some freeze dried vegetables to my stores and have some variety in my flavors while I wait for what the future is to bring. I beat death every day that I wake up and spend much of my waking day in a near constant fight as I know,more than most,that life is a gift and I plan to fight for every last minute I can get . ( sorry,I am having a rough time these last 2 weeks)

antsyaunt:

--- Quote from: Carl on June 29, 2018, 05:43:07 PM ---The continuous rotation and convenience of the MEAL IN A JAR concept is a bit beyond my current ability,so I must purchase such pre-made meals and honestly have only planned calorie dense edibles for my survival needs as I realistically will not last long without my cancer treatments that ,so far,only slows down the progression of the cancers in me and shows no sign of stopping the disease. But I can still add some freeze dried vegetables to my stores and have some variety in my flavors while I wait for what the future is to bring. I beat death every day that I wake up and spend much of my waking day in a near constant fight as I know,more than most,that life is a gift and I plan to fight for every last minute I can get . ( sorry,I am having a rough time these last 2 weeks)

--- End quote ---
Carl, I believe that you are thinking clearly and planning well in spite of your setbacks.  Keep fighting as long as you can.  There may be another treatment in development that will be more deadly to the cancer and less toxic to you.  Thinking of you.

mountainmoma:
Sorry it has been a long week Carl !

If you are going to be low energy and have to eat in an emergency, consider a blend like this, I have one #10can of emergency essentials version of this in my pantry, and then a 5 gallon bucket of the augeson in the LTS.

One 1/4 cup (dry) serving of this mix is .30 at regular price, and maybe you can catch a sale and one serving is 70%vit C and 50%vit A

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms-Vegetable-Stew-Blend-2-lbs-5-oz-No-10-Can/21777152

thread from when I bought it, it may have gone up, but last year I bought the bucket for $69, which I believe was enough for one serving a day for one person for a year http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=56875.msg666289#new

Frugal Upstate:
If finances & room allow, adding LTS vegetables would be a good idea.  You could go the inexpensive route (assuming you have a dehydrator or can borrow one) and just dehydrate bags of frozen mixed vegetables then either vacuum seal them in jars or store them in Mylar (although dehydrated things tend to have pointy edges).  Another option is to purchase a few big cans of dehydrated or freeze dried veg to round things out, professionally packaged, and set them in LTS & forget them (ie don’t rotate through).

Regardless, you may want to (if you haven’t) stock up on a year or two supply of a multivitamin to round out your vitamin profile until you figure it all out.  And possibly some big jars of metimucil or other fiber supplement.  You can grab those pretty cheaply & quickly and it should help even things out a bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version