Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord

(1/36) > >>

EagleSteel:
Okay, so I officially had cut the cord with Comcast (except for the internet) today. My bill had increased to $261 a month! So much money is wasted on this company and I've had enough. Here is what I did.

1. I was given an Apple TV 2 from a friend.
2. Got a Subscription to Hulu Plus and Netflix - $16.00 a month for both
3. Jail broke the Apple TV 2 and added XBMC and set it up.
4. Called Comcast and told them to go pound sand.
5. Bought a cable modem that will work with Comcast for $90.00 (Motorola SB6141)
6. Still need to buy an HD antenna and another Apple TV for my Man Cave.

They tried to talk me into staying and they would cut $68 off my monthly bill. I told them no and that I wanted the internet plus package for $55. They then told me “that is for new customers only and you would have to be completely canceled for 90 days before you would be eligible for that deal”. That is the kind of crap that ticks me off with regards to cable companies and I think this is the beginning of the end for them. Anyways they said that it would be $85.51 for internet alone (with cable modem rental of $8.00). I said whatever and that is fine.

So once I get my new modem my costs per month will be $93.51.
I was paying $3,135 and now I will be paying $1,122.12
Savings of $2,012.88 a year!

I wanted to post this in case anyone was thinking about doing this and how they could do it. If anyone has questions on how or whatever I will be more than happy to answer them.

inconel710:
I would love to do that, however, my family would scream bloody murder.  Paying $180/month here and I'll put up with it until we move this summer.  All bets are off then.

HomegrownGal:
Wow! Lol! I moved into the homestead i bought last year in June. I've never paid for cable and I didn't get a converter box when tv changed a few years ago. I'd love to have internet!! I thought it was too pricey around $50. I don't have a home phone, but an Apple 4s with 3G Sprint. Signal sucks! Unlimited text and internet. My MacBook Pro is my stereo and phone charger! Lol! I watch DVD movies on it sometimes for entertainment. I'd like to find an inexpensive way to have internet on my computer, but have a very limited budget since buying this place.

EagleSteel:

--- Quote from: inconel710 on February 13, 2014, 09:44:50 AM ---I would love to do that, however, my family would scream bloody murder.  Paying $180/month here and I'll put up with it until we move this summer.  All bets are off then.

--- End quote ---

Would they change there minds if they could get all their current TV shows and Movies that are still in the theaters?
I've heard that with the XBMC app on the Apple TV 2 you can do such a thing. Of course it may be illegal, so I don't do it.  ;)

NWPilgrim:
I have only cut back to the basic DirectTV package.  But I have fiber optic internet through Frontier (formerly Verizon) and it is only $35/mo.  My daughter eliminated cable AND internet and just uses her phone for surfing and DVD player for movies/series.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version