Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage Resources

freeze dried and dehydrated food storage (no need to rotate 25 yr shelf life)

(1/6) > >>

Ecks311:
http://dailybread.com/

Did a quick search and did not see this site... It is excellent and they seem very legit... been in business a good while and I have tried their food and it is very tasty!  (kinda expensive but IMO worth it)

I am going to be purchasing some soon after i get money saved for it.  Seems like a good place for people to start who are just beginning into food storage.

rustyknife:
Good idea. I use mostly Freeze dried foods in my BOB. I try to get a five or six mile hike in the woods each weekend and make one meal from them. One downside I found awhile back while hiking in some open sage brush area is water. Without thinking ahead very far I drank all the water from my canteen. When it came time to make a meal I had none and it was several more miles to the nearest water. Now I carry two canteens, one for drinking and the other for a meal just in case. Shelf life is a very long time but they don't taste good dry out of the package.

OKGranny:
I can see keeping a few in a BOB but for everyday food even if SHTF that's way too expensive for us. Think I'll have to stick to canning and drying myself.

Ecks311:

--- Quote from: OKGranny on August 21, 2010, 10:52:58 PM ---I can see keeping a few in a BOB but for everyday food even if SHTF that's way too expensive for us. Think I'll have to stick to canning and drying myself.

--- End quote ---

very true that it is expensive but with that shelf life and no need to rotate for the people that aren't canners it is a very good option... although expensive that is the main draw back.

Prag:

--- Quote from: Ecks311 on August 22, 2010, 11:03:58 AM ---very true that it is expensive but with that shelf life and no need to rotate for the people that aren't canners it is a very good option... although expensive that is the main draw back.

--- End quote ---

I don't intend any negativity with my following post.

We keep a mixture of freeze dried (Mountain House, Provident Pantry, & Thrive), MRE's, Bucket packed dried goods, wet pack canned goods, foods in the freezers, and foods we process through canning and dehydrating.
They all have their place in our storage plans.

But, being tangible items, they are limited...either by their cost, storage space, portability, what have you.

Learning skills, such as canning, dehydrating, sustainable gardening and such will last well beyond the limited amounts of stored items we have. At least that's the way I look at it.

There's a wealth of information here, and some good folks looking to share that info, and for that, I'm appreciative.

The LTS freeze dried foods definitely have their place. But they are, as I'm sure you know, only a piece of the puzzle.

Good luck to you on your choices.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version