Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > The .22 Caliber Rifle: An Essential Homestead Firearm

10/22 Upgrade - Cheap and Easy (with pics)

<< < (11/12) > >>

hackmeister:
Pennsylvania game commission just tentatively approved semi-auto for all seasons. The final approval will be confirmed in April. Honestly I thought they were initially going to only allow varmint hunting for semi-auto. That being said I think I'm going to pick up a 10/22 with a decent optic before squirrel and rabbit season. So looking forward to it! 

Bubafat:
I've tricked mine out to the extreme (spending way too much money in the process.  End result though is a gun that can put 10 shots in an area the size of a dime (usually less wind depending) at 50 yds every time.  The best upgrade IMHO for accuracy is a new trigger.  While not cheap ($200-300), the Kidd 2 stage trigger is an amazing upgrade.  So easy to install.  Some of the old timers here are probably used to the squishy crappy triggers of old.  Most new guns have much better triggers than those did and the Kidd trigger is light years beyond those.  Good trigger control is key and a good trigger makes it stupid easy.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/TRIGGERS_c_7.html

If I had to rank what's improved my guns accuracy in order it would be:
1. Trigger
2. Finding the right ammo for your gun.  For plinking the best for mine is CCI green tags or Eley Match.  For hunting Eley Subsonic HP hands down. 
3. Scope
4. Barrel (match bull)
5. Stock (fit)

nkawtg:
You're right on the money about finding the right ammo.
From a box of Federal 36 grain ammo, I get stovepipe jams every 7 or 8 shots. A real pain...
Switched to Remington 40 grain target rounds and I have yet to get a jam.

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: nkawtg on January 31, 2017, 03:56:14 PM ---You're right on the money about finding the right ammo.
From a box of Federal 36 grain ammo, I get stovepipe jams every 7 or 8 shots. A real pain...
Switched to Remington 40 grain target rounds and I have yet to get a jam.

--- End quote ---

When .22lr ammo got scare, I spent $8 and got a lighter weight charging rod spring.  It now cycles anything. 
It still cycles even the hot stingers, and makes charging a little easier for the kids.  Not sure why they didn't just make them that way.

As much as I love the 10/22, I feel like we're defending a Model A Ford from the 1930s or something.  I'm not disagreeing that it "works",  but engineering has come a long way since, and there are now improved materials and some functional improvements available should you choose them.

I remember my grandfather restoring classic cars, and using electrical wires with braided textile insulation, cork gaskets, etc.  He was a purist, and that was his thing, but you can't tell me those materials were not since improved upon.  :)

nkawtg:
Well, it is just plain fun to shoot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version