Community & Regional Connections > Region One

Massachusetts

<< < (2/15) > >>

AdamElk:
Let's get this party started.  I live on Cape Cod and for all the prep I do and podcasts I listen to I've come to the inescapable conclusion, if SHTF I'm not getting off this island.  Two bridges, two lanes apiece, to evacuate about 250k people off season and a cool one mil during the summer.  Point being, what good is a bugout location if I can't get to it if I need to.  Alternative plans need to be made.  By way of introduction, I'm a military vet, lawyer, builder, husband, and dad.  I believe prepping is of critical importance and I'm slowly getting my act together.  Jack always mentions networking with like minded individuals so this forum seems like the logical place to start.  I'm always looking for new things to learn and will respond to anyone.  Let's get the chatter going and develop a Massachusetts thread.  We can't be the only people who believe in survivalism in our bluest of blue states.

Cheer, Adam

liftsboxes:

--- Quote from: AdamElk on May 28, 2009, 05:31:03 PM ---Let's get this party started.  I live on Cape Cod and for all the prep I do and podcasts I listen to I've come to the inescapable conclusion, if SHTF I'm not getting off this island.  Two bridges, two lanes apiece, to evacuate about 250k people off season and a cool one mil during the summer.  Point being, what good is a bugout location if I can't get to it if I need to.  Alternative plans need to be made.  By way of introduction, I'm a military vet, lawyer, builder, husband, and dad.  I believe prepping is of critical importance and I'm slowly getting my act together.  Jack always mentions networking with like minded individuals so this forum seems like the logical place to start.  I'm always looking for new things to learn and will respond to anyone.  Let's get the chatter going and develop a Massachusetts thread.  We can't be the only people who believe in survivalism in our bluest of blue states.

Cheer, Adam

--- End quote ---

Depending on the threat you're escaping from, a waterbourne solution may be warrented.  From where you are you should be able to make coastal NH or ME and only a short trip back inland from there will get you into the  hills.

AdamElk:
The rules are convoluted in MA.  Firearms safety classes are a manditory prerequisite to obtaining a Class A LTC.  While this hoop jumping is a pain I don't have too much of a problem with the permitting process.  Of much greater concern is the availability of firearms.  Handguns sold in retail stores must pass this absurd laboratory safety testing before they can be sold.  Consequently, many great weapons cannot be sold here.  That isn't to say we can't own "unlisted" weapons if we buy them from private parties, but we can't buy them from retail gunshops.  Most notably, Glocks are not on the approved weapons roster.  Not that they're not great and supremely safe weapons, rather Glock probably doesn't feel like absorbing the expense of such testing when their weapons sell out everywhere else in the country.

Once a weapon passes the QC testing mandated by our legislature, it still has to pass the Attorney General's consumer protection regulations regarding safeties, trigger pulls, and so on.  Good luck finding a list of approved AG weapons.  I don't believe one exists.  Sadly, there are many manufacturers who simply can't be bothered with MA's rules and opt not to sell their guns in the Commonwealth.

Welcome to Massachusetts, one of the least gun friendly states in the U.S.

AdamElk:

Lately, I've been storing a great deal of non perishable food - most notably rice, pasta, canned beans and soups.  Got the garden going and hopefully I'll have enough tomatoes for a BLT at the end of the summer.  Carbs and starches are easy stores but meat presents some problems.  My freezers are full of stuff but the reality is that I'll be back to square one if we experience an extended power outage and I lose refrigeration capability.  Protiens (meats) aren't the easiest things in the world to store at room temperature.  Ball has a pretty good site and although I don't know how to can food yet, it's on my list of skills to acquire.  Check out http://www.freshpreserving.com/ for more info.  Another alternative are the freeze dried and dehydrated meats available at Emergency Essentials.  http://beprepared.com/  This may just be the ticket for long term meat storage.  Mountain House makes tasty stuff I like but I haven't yet tried reconstituting the meat.  It seems once the #10 can is opened, the unused stock could be vaccuum sealed via FoodSaver canister.  I highly recommend the Food Saver gear.  I've had mine for years and it is as advertised.  Last summer I laid a big patio in my backyard and my wife suggested incorporating a firepit.  Once completed it became the focal point of the patio and friends of mine come over and just veg in front of it.  The pit is half moon shaped and at the corner.  My next purchase will be a Lodge brand camp dutch oven and tripod.  They're about $150 with all the fixin's but it's one more way to cook food without electricity or natural gas.  System redundancy is mission critical.  Feel free to chime in if you have time.  Just the same, I'm glad the posts are being read.  Rock on, Region One

Bob:

--- Quote from: AdamElk on May 28, 2009, 05:31:03 PM ---Let's get this party started.  I live on Cape Cod and for all the prep I do and podcasts I listen to I've come to the inescapable conclusion, if SHTF I'm not getting off this island.  Two bridges, two lanes apiece, to evacuate about 250k people off season and a cool one mil during the summer.  Point being, what good is a bugout location if I can't get to it if I need to.  Alternative plans need to be made.  By way of introduction, I'm a military vet, lawyer, builder, husband, and dad.  I believe prepping is of critical importance and I'm slowly getting my act together.  Jack always mentions networking with like minded individuals so this forum seems like the logical place to start.  I'm always looking for new things to learn and will respond to anyone.  Let's get the chatter going and develop a Massachusetts thread.  We can't be the only people who believe in survivalism in our bluest of blue states.

Cheer, Adam

--- End quote ---

You might just be better off blowing the three bridges ;D.... If you go south you get double tapped by New Bhesh, and Fall Riv.  24North gets you Brockton.  Rt3 Good luck you'll starve to death before  you get anywhere.

I do have an alternate land route for you.  If you have a dirt bike, ATV or UTV. Jeeps won't fit the obstructions.   On the land side where the power lines cross the canal, there is a clam shack.  At the rear of the parking lot is a trail that goes up the hill.  Take a left at the top.  Pick up the power lines north. To the gas pipeline then on to the green steel power lines that service the Nuke plant. Go north west into Carver/Kingston.   After that in Plympton, the towers span swamplands which can't be crossed.

Ten years ago I made weekly night trips in three hours of hard ATV riding.  My brother and I would ride to the Bourne bridge and walk to Grand-pa's.  I have checked the cross roads by car and still see signs of the trail so it's probably still passable.  

I have also made it over to 495 from the clam shack.  I went maybe 10 miles by a dirt service road that parallels the highway.  

Check out a Topo of the south coast.  You will easily see the route I'm talking about.

Good Luck  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version