Site Suggestions, Support and Resources > Fiction and Non-Fiction Books/Magazines

299 Days: The Visitors (Book Five) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]

<< < (4/8) > >>

Smurf Hunter:
I'm hopeful that Grant's moral compromises will eventually have consequences, otherwise the narrative will lose some authenticity.

He wasn't beholden to SF Ted.  Even if his best friend or brother came by and said "you're with us or against us", that might be B.S.  A man can have his own integrity and need not cave to peer pressure.   Perhaps the character development will follow King David:  starts out as a chosen hero of the people, gets complacent, commits horrible selfish sins, then ultimately reprents.

Maybe there's some slick Machiavelian way to "use" Snelling?

Regarding the "outside voice", my guess if that HG is trying to present the Holy Spirit (as most Christians understand it) to a secular audience.  I won't digress into spirituality much, except to say different individuals have different ways of relating to a higher power.  Many pray and "hear" answers in various ways.  If the story explicitly had Grant bowing his head and praying to Jesus, I personally know some folks who would use that to dismiss the story and possibly stop reading at that point.

Hypax:
I enjoy the story line so far over all.
I do agree with the price / size issue raised above. 9 bucks for the nook version was way to much. While I will await the next book, I will also be looking to reviews as to length.

Chemsoldier:

--- Quote from: smurf hunter on March 29, 2013, 11:07:27 AM ---Regarding the "outside voice", my guess if that HG is trying to present the Holy Spirit (as most Christians understand it) to a secular audience.  I won't digress into spirituality much, except to say different individuals have different ways of relating to a higher power.  Many pray and "hear" answers in various ways.  If the story explicitly had Grant bowing his head and praying to Jesus, I personally know some folks who would use that to dismiss the story and possibly stop reading at that point.

--- End quote ---
Or Grant's just a nutter   :P

Its no worse than most prepper fiction and I know G through the forum and interviews so I am more than happy to spend the money on the product.  From Grant starting to prep to shortly after May Day the story was really interesting and a good intro to prepping for those who are not into prepping yet.  My mother really enjoyed it.  After that point it is no worse than other prepper fiction and better than many.

Nicodemus:

--- Quote from: smurf hunter on March 29, 2013, 11:07:27 AM ---I'm hopeful that Grant's moral compromises will eventually have consequences, otherwise the narrative will lose some authenticity.
--- End quote ---

I think there was a hint of that covered in chapter one of book one.

4bull:
Book 5 came in the mail on Friday just as my wife finished book 4 .
So I haven't seen it yet . Im not to happy about this .
She did say she didn't like the first couple of chapters ?
I cant wait to find out .. She is only a third of the way through it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version