Poll

If you could only have one Centerfire Handgun what would it be?

Glock
Beretta
M&P
XD
Revolver
Other Polymer pistol

Author Topic: If you could only have one Centerfire Handgun what would it be?  (Read 30355 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: If you could only have one Centerfire Handgun what would it be?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2016, 12:43:39 AM »
That was Cooper who said that right?
To my understanding, not exactly.

something like it may have ended up in the pages of The Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip series, however that series is made up heavily of other people's sayings.  He admitted it, it was an informational clearing house in the days before te interwebz. 

The most frequently attributed sayings like it I can recall include

something along the lines of: "Your handgun exists to fight your way to your rifle that you should not have put down in the first place." which is often attributed to Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch fame.

It also skirts on the edge of "A handgun is a piece of sh*t" which I think is attributed to Yeager, paragon of moderation and nuanced conversation that he is.

Cooper swore up and down on numerous occasions that the .45 ACP would reliably stop a person with a single hit, which is not in fashion as a claim these days.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »
Part of me says 1911 in 9mm, but I don't have one of those and I found it more of a pain to reload 9mm.  However, the weight of a 1911 makes the 9mm round a fun and easy to shoot.

The other part of me says simple can be best; revolver using moon clips to keep things simple is what would consider ideal for how I shoot.   No worry about lost brass, and the low powered straight wall bass I can almost reload them forever.

Both 38 spl, 357, and 45 acp seems to me the easiest to reload and they give you the flexibility to shoot cheap lead rounds or  jacketed bullets. 

For the 'odd ball' side of me; I kind of like my old style Contender chambered in .223.  But that is not that useful being a single shot, other maybe to shoot specialty rounds that would not function in a semi-automatic rifle. 

If I only wanted a farm pistol when I go out in the woods, it is hard to say no to the fantastic plastic firearms.  Not much worry about rust or getting rained on is always a good plus.

Bottom  line it; revolver in 357 mag, stainless steel in a 4" - 6' barrel.   Pickup a good steel series Henry big boy in matching Cal to keep my reloading life simple. 

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 11:40:58 AM »
revolver in 357 mag, stainless steel in a 4" - 6' barrel.   Pickup a good steel series Henry big boy in matching Cal to keep my reloading life simple.

If it had to come to this [and it never will] I agree with this reasoning.  I love my wife's stainless GP100 and so does she.  Though she likes it best because it looks bad a$$, can be seen from a distance, and screams don't mess with me because this thing is "bad a$$".  I like it because it's easy to shoot accurately, especially when it is using .38 Specials and it makes a big hole when using .357 defense rounds.  It's very reliable and fairly easy to reload for.  As stated, the ammo works well in a rifle too, which can be very effective even as a short-range hunting firearm.

Offline Chris Gilliam

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2016, 02:55:10 PM »
No Berettas Guys 😑

I'd most likey choose the 92. Just cuz it's like an extension of my hand, and I've fired out to 200 yards.
Love the 5" barrel.

Browning Hi-Power close 2nd.

The new Glock G40 could probably win me over tho...
I like big guns and I can not lie....

Offline 9mmMaster

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2016, 09:49:26 PM »
Just did some trading for a new Ruger Match Champion .357 GP 100 4" I see your guys' points

But I personally would not pick it over any of my Berettas

But that's why  they make different models 😎

To each his own ✝👍

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2016, 10:50:13 PM »
And, unlike with tactical tupperware, I can actually hit the broad side of a barn with a revolver.

Just the opposite for me, revolvers aren't my thing.  Just give me a G17 or 19 and and all's right with the world.  If I had to pick one, it'd be a 19 because that's marginally concealable.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 06:07:16 PM »
Just Got a Ruger GP 100 Match Champion GOD is Good great all around Gun

When I started the threat the question was posed if you could have only one Centerfire handgun.
My thought being you could have a long gun or two.

But I think a lot of people were thinking it would be there Only Gun
That's cool to if the Handgun was your only firearm it would be hard to argue against a solid .357

So Versitile.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »
When I started the threat the question was posed if you could have only one Centerfire handgun.

That's cool to if the Handgun was your only firearm it would be hard to argue against a solid .357

You won't get an argument from me.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
I love my Mateba. Too bad they'er so temperamental.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 12:58:57 PM »
I love my Mateba. Too bad they'er so temperamental.

I repaired a few with bad metallurgy and most of the shooters in my area gave up on them.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »
Ruger makes a black hawk
That comes with two cylinders one .38  / .357
The second in 9mm

Chiappa Rhino also has a 38/.357/ 9mm listed it's a bouble action never seen one in person.

endurance

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 05:49:28 AM »
Just Got a Ruger GP 100 Match Champion GOD is Good great all around Gun

So Versitile.
But that gets back to: For What?
If I'm going to be in the woods with no contact with civilization for a decade my answer is going to be a lot different than if I'm still going to live where I live now with a lifestyle not that unlike I have today. If I'm going to work everyday that is different than if I'm working in my garden everyday.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »
I tend to agree as I have CARRY,HUNTING,PLAY TIME,GOING INTO HARMS WAY,and 'just for fondling; pistols...
Maybe he want's to know your choice of 'one size fits all' handgun.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 09:18:21 AM »
If I'm going to work everyday that is different than if I'm working in my garden everyday.

Good point.

endurance

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 04:51:43 PM »
I tend to agree as I have CARRY,HUNTING,PLAY TIME,GOING INTO HARMS WAY,and 'just for fondling; pistols...
Ha!  I can't even make up my mind on once concealed carry gun.  I have a summer and a winter gun.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 11:38:47 PM »
Just a thought experiment
Pick a good all around hand gun

Think of this and don't cry! 😩
If you were forced to give up all but one of your handguns what would you keep???
Or if you had to got rid off all yours and choose just one what would you pick up?

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2017, 03:39:34 AM »
My small handgun collection so far consists of a Colt Series 70 reissue, a Glock 19, a 442 J-Frame, a 629 Classic (5 inch), and a Ruger MKIII Target model. If I had to give them all up but one, it would be the 1911 I would keep. If I lived in a more urban or suburban setting, I might lean more towards the Glock 19, but as it is now, in rural North GA, I prefer something a little heavier than a 9mm. If a .45acp or 10mm Glock fit my hand a little better, I would probably go with that.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2017, 09:42:08 AM »
Just a thought experiment
Pick a good all around hand gun

Think of this and don't cry! 😩
If you were forced to give up all but one of your handguns what would you keep???
Or if you had to got rid off all yours and choose just one what would you pick up?

Going back to the statement made earlier by Endurance, would the choice be based on my current lifestyle, with no changes predicted in the near future, or would it be in preparation for TEOTWAWKI?

If we're simply picking our favorite handgun, I really like my G22 and wouldn't want it to go away.  Thankfully I can not think of a realistic condition that would exist, leaving me with just once choice, because there are so many reasons to want/need more than one.

endurance

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2017, 12:20:26 PM »
For me, the one I have no excuses to not have with me is my Shield 9mm. So small and yet accurate and enjoyable to shoot. If I lived in winter where I have more bulky clothing on more of the time, my XD9 is perfect and up to much more heavy lifting.

I miss my GP100 for a woods gun and if I buy another handgun, it'll be a 4" GP100, but it was an awful gun to carry in the city and try to conceal.

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2017, 09:36:52 AM »
I Hate the one gun question. It always makes me feel like i'm cheating on my wife...
But hands down its a Glock 19. For three reasons 1) Reliability 2) Capacity 3) Concealability.

I can fit a loaded Glock 19, holster, 3 spare mags and a 100 rnds of spare 9mm in a small locked case that carries easily in my briefcase or luggage. I know cause I do it (alot) nowadays. So i can rearm myself quickly if I should need to as I often work in areas were open or concealed carry are prohibited.

Regards,
Shadowalker

PS: My second gun... Ruger SS. Blackhawk .44Mag/.45 Colt (I really love that gun)

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2017, 09:55:43 AM »
That was Cooper who said that right?

No. It was Clint Smith and its a bullshit statement for Civilians and Survivalists. It was stated to a group of LEOs and Military. It was not meant for the consumption of the masses. For them its relevant and makes the point of ALWAYS having your primary weapon prepped, ready and available to use right now. Its a poor philosophy for those who are not in their situation. If you are a civilian involved in a shooting to save your life or another's life you don't have time to "get to your rifle" you need to solve the tactical equation right there and right now or you loose. I've never been a LEO. I am ex-military and have used a firearm there and to defend myself as a civilian. The reason we carry a handgun on us is because we don't have easy access to a more suited weapon.

Regards,
Shadowalker

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »
How much does it really matter, when the real purpose of a handgun is to use it to get to your rifle?  ;D

ChemSoldier got the attribution right.
oops my previous reply was to include this quote as well for context... Sorry about the flub  :o

Regards,
Shadowalker

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2017, 10:05:06 AM »
  OK, I gave you KARMA for the BlackHawk , Built like a tank and a favorite for handgun hunting and metallic silhouette.

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »

"and just for fondling; pistols" 
Are we related!  ;D

Regards,
Shadowalker

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2017, 10:07:07 AM »
  OK, I gave you KARMA for the BlackHawk , Built like a tank and a favorite for handgun hunting and metallic silhouette.

Thank you,  :)

Regards,
Shadowalker

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2017, 12:58:34 AM »
My standard handgun is a .40S&W Glock.  I have the G22, G23, and G27.  If limited to one I would go with the G23.  I also have a 9mm conversion barrel and .222LR conversion slide for it.  I like it for all the common reasons and there are lots of third party sources for parts and some of the least expensive and reliable mags.

But I would be sorely tempted to go with my M29 .44 mag mountain gun (4").  I enjoy it the most with everything from light Cowboy loads to flaming throwing magnum loads 240gr - 300 gr.  It has round butt grips and just feels great in my hand.  But practically, if I ever faced more than one attacker I would want the Glock, not a six-shooter.

There are a lot of great guns out there though: M&P, 1911, XD, SIG, HK, CZ, etc.  And I would not feel too terrible if limited to just my S&W k-frame .38, either.  Or my hi-power. 

Offline 9mmMaster

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »
Ok Ok how's this to narrow down the confusion.

You have to pick one handgun today. You don't know what the future holds just like real life. The economy could improve or crash and burn. The Government could get more or less oppressive. Life for you could go on just as it has or the Apacalypse could happen tomorrow. Just like life now who knows???

You can have other long guns but, Pick one handgun. To keep for the rest of your life.

OKay what is it???

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2017, 08:47:14 PM »
Glock 23

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »
The wife and daughter trained on .22’s.  We then tried a number of “more effective” calibers, and finally settled on .38/.357 revolver & lever carbine.  It’s what worked for them. 

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2017, 10:23:24 PM »
Ok Ok how's this to narrow down the confusion.

You have to pick one handgun today. You don't know what the future holds just like real life. The economy could improve or crash and burn. The Government could get more or less oppressive. Life for you could go on just as it has or the Apacalypse could happen tomorrow. Just like life now who knows???

You can have other long guns but, Pick one handgun. To keep for the rest of your life.

OKay what is it???

Again for me its the Glock 19. Its not great at anything but does everything well.Since I have long guns available so I don't need a larger handgun caliber than 9mm. Any other quality handgun that meets the three requirements I listed above would also do me.

Regards,
Shadowalker