Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Fishing

MSP's private trout stocking…

<< < (4/5) > >>

nelson96:
Too funny. . . .  cedar just told me that "cheat" was the name of the river. . . .  My bad.

d3nni5:

--- Quote from: nelson96 on November 03, 2014, 10:15:20 AM ---Too funny. . . .  cedar just told me that "cheat" was the name of the river. . . .  My bad.

--- End quote ---

Oh, I see.   I expected that the legal part of this would come up, but didn't think we'd dwell on it as a first topic of conversation like this.   Trust me I don't want to get in trouble either!   If we thought at all we were doing this illegally, we wouldn't be doing it at all.....let alone putting pictures out on the net for folks to see :).

The Cheat is has many rumors as to how it was named, we like the story that the water's back currents are deceptive and have "cheated" men from their lives.   No one really knows the name origin for sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheat_River

I hope this helps clarify...   Section "B"

--- Quote ---§20-2-64. Regulating release of fish, water animal and other aquatic organisms; stocking permit.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to release any fish, water animal or other aquatic organism, alive or dead, or any part, nest or egg thereof into the waters of this state except as authorized by a stocking permit issued by the director: Provided, That nothing in this subsection shall be construed as restricting the release of fish, water animal or other aquatic organism into the waters of this state from which they were taken by lawful methods: Provided, however, That nothing in this subsection shall be construed as restricting the release of native or established species of fish in privately owned ponds.

(b) A stocking permit is not required for the stocking of trout in waters of the state provided that the trout originate from a source within the state or meet the disease-free certification requirements for imported salmondiae set forth in section thirteen of this article.

(c) A stocking permit is not required for the stocking of black bass provided that the Division of Natural Resources is notified prior to stocking and is provided a disease-free certification.

(d) It is unlawful for any person to possess, sell, offer for sale, import, bring or cause to be brought or imported into this state or release into the waters of this state, in a live state, any bighead carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis), silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix), black carp (Mylopharyngodon piceus), largescale silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys harmandi), diploid white amur (Ctenopharyngodon idella) or snakehead (Channa spp.), gametes or eggs of the same, or any hybrids of these species. The director may not issue a stocking permit to any person for the species and their hybrids listed in this subsection, but may issue written authorization for the importation or possession of these species or their hybrids into this state if the importation or possession does not violate any federal law and if the use is limited to scientific research.
--- End quote ---

d3nni5:
So, I got to thinking a little more about this and was wondering if we could even tag our fish?   They sell them online, but they are expensive.  $38 for 10.   But would it be worth it to see if can date the fish and size before we threw them in next time?

http://www.fishtagger.com/

Zef_66:
Interesting. We own property that has a stream running through it. Much like your story, the once awesome trout stream can no longer support the fish because of acid mine drainage. But the state is working on the drainage and we have started to see small fish returning as well. On the west side of my property is a feeder stream that didn't receive much AMD and is a wonderful small trout stream.

Neighbors do stock a couple hundred fish for the kids to fish for in the spring. But the fish don't stay around long. Soon I am hoping that they will stay so my kids can catch some nice natives!

TexDaddy:

--- Quote from: Cedar on November 03, 2014, 09:34:19 AM ---...Lt is illegal for citizens to transport live fish in Oregon without a permit...

--- End quote ---
This sounds like you cannot go to the pet store, buy a live goldfish and take it home.  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version