Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Fishing

Worm Bin for Bait?

<< < (2/3) > >>

christphrmurray:
Nightcrawler's might not compost as fast as red Wiggler's do but should be OK that's how people raise them for the fishing store grow them.

mxitman:
I've got the red wigglers, I use a 30 gallon rubbermaid type tote... been going for 5 years now, I have more worms than I know what do with. I keep the lid propped up during the summer and many of the worms try to escape only to realize they are in the middle of the chicken run :D I use them all the time for trout fishing. They are a bit smaller and tougher to hook but they sure wiggle allot. I give them to the neighbors kids too who go fishing all the time.

InquiringMind:

--- Quote from: mxitman on September 19, 2014, 10:18:51 AM ---I've got the red wigglers, I use a 30 gallon rubbermaid type tote... been going for 5 years now, I have more worms than I know what do with.
--- End quote ---
Have you tried packaging and selling them? I'm stuck in the city for a little while yet, but once I have land, I'm thinking of running a farm stand. Could be a market.

--- Quote from: mxitman on September 19, 2014, 10:18:51 AM ---I keep the lid propped up during the summer and many of the worms try to escape only to realize they are in the middle of the chicken run :D
--- End quote ---
You might want to prop it open even more or put it in the shade. We've had a bin going for a couple of years, and the only times they've tried to escape are (1) too hot, (2) too little ventilation, or (3) too wet (top came off in a rain storm once). Then again, if yours has been going strong for 5 years, this is probably a moot point.

spud:
I used to use a thousand or more night crawlers per season and they were kept in a frig just for it. They liked shallow bedding about three inch deep and cool temps about 50 degrees. Can't really raise those cause they take a very long time to reach maturity. Never tried keeping them in compost thou, don't know if it would work.  There are some good books out their on it.  They were picked in spring after heavy rain and could not be injured or they would die and ruin bedding and start a bad circle of stinky death.

Red wigglers are very easy, flow thru bins are nice, I have a fifty gallon drum in basement along with a rectangle bin for them too. They are great for panfish and trout.

katunk:
Mealy worms are good bait too, plus chickens love 'em as treats. Here's a how to link:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-raise-mealworms

I got my mealy worms at pet smart (apparently lizards and snakes love 'em too)

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version