Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Outdoors Activities

Do you know what drowning looks like?

<< < (3/7) > >>

heliotropicmoth:
Thanks for the info, I volunteer with the local fire dept and we have a large lake in the area. I have not been taught this, and I just finished EMT-Basic school.

endurance:

--- Quote from: heliotropicmoth on June 21, 2012, 10:14:49 AM ---Thanks for the info, I volunteer with the local fire dept and we have a large lake in the area. I have not been taught this, and I just finished EMT-Basic school.

--- End quote ---
I've been through EMT-B, Basic first aid (twice), advanced first aid, and first responder and not one mention either.  Ironically, my AFA instructor was a lifeguard as his day job.

I remember Gonzoles mentioning something about drowning folks not looking like drowning folks in Deep Survival, but it didn't stick and I don't remember what detail he went into in the book.  This was certainly an eye opener for me, too.

SteveandTracyinKY:
It is quiet, and you will never forget it. I was way too close to a boy drowning while I was actually working rescue. We had seem him just seconds before his mom started screaming. There were 4 trained rescuers in the water within 30 seconds of his being noticed. He never came back, not even for a second. It was one of the worst things I have ever dealt with. We all felt somehow guilty even though we were training and had nothing to do with the swimmers, just that we were that close, and wasn't able to save him. They don't tell you about that kind of stuff when you are training, you always here about the wins. To all of you who have been through EMT-B or P, get out to a local rescue squad and do some ride time. The real scene training will make you truly understand the limitations and abilities of medical responders, far more that the class will.

Docwatmo:
I ran across this article about a week ago, after a friend drowned 3 weeks ago.  It helped me cope by understanding better what happened to her.  She rolled her car upside down in the river, with just the wheels and bottom of car exposed.  She managed to get her seatbelt off, push the door open, but not make it the 3 feet to the surface.  I just couldn't understand how she could get that far and not make that last little bit, but this article helped me understand that and put it to rest in my mind a bit and help cope with the loss by understanding it better. 

Glad you posted it, I wasn't in the right frame of mind to do much of anything the last couple weeks. 

Thanks

Doc

Muddyboots:
Doc, I'm SOOOooooo sorry!

When I was a young pup EMT doing VFD-R I had the misfortune of seeing a half dozen drownings as we found them and took them out of the water, all in my first summer on the rig. S&T inKY, I grock.

The younger the victim, The colder the water, The better the chance. Also you need to know there is a point where you might want to pray that they DON'T revive. Seen that go bad too...

Actually, it was this kind of thing that made me hang it (VFD-R) up.

Muddyboots

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version