Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Fishing

What do you fish for?

<< < (3/8) > >>

Howard Wallace:
Wild-caught fish is a large part of our diet.  My wife and I enjoy the catching as much as the eating.  Major species we use to fill the freezer are halibut, salmon, ling cod and rockfish.   We also frequently catch and eat dogfish, flounder, and sculpin.  Occassionally a few trout.

A very nice gentleman spent a few days with us a couple of years back teaching us how to tie flys and flyfish.  My wife stalked and caught a large rainbow trout, and was emotionally traumatized when she found out she was expected to release it rather than eat it.  Learning the skill was interesting, but neither of us want to give our fishy friends grief just for the sport of it.

The Sage of Monticello:
Nice Howard. I would love to eat wild caught fish as a staple of my family's diet. I am just not that great a fishermen to do so, LOL.

I'm practicing with great enjoyment and I have only been fishing for 3 years now. I have a lot to learn.

rustyknife:
I fish for food. Trout, salmon,sturgeon, bluegill, perch, bass, lingcod, sea bass, Irish lords,Jetty perch, catfish, dungeness crab, shrimp, crawfish, fresh and salt water clams, oysters if i can find them and blue mussels. It's been much harder to get salt water stuff since we moved to eastern Oregon. I try to make up the loss in dirt time here. Haven't been on a tuna trip in quite awhile. Sure miss fresh tuna on the BBQ with bacon wraps. (sigh)

16onRockandRoll:
I'm not into fishing as much as I am into hunting, but I love it as a way to get away from it all and relax. I really get into it when its good though. I fished for bass and trout a lot as a kid, some walleye, and catfish whenever I could get it. I want to start doing more this summer. My wifes younger brother mentioned he wanted to go backpacking, so we are planning a trip in the next few weeks. I told him to get his license so we can try supplementing our food from the streams. Thats when he told me he had never caught a fish (he's 24). We are going to be changing that soon.  I fish for all the normal fish that are around (really want to do some offshore someday), and usually for food. I like most fish I've had. Catfish is awesome, saltwater fish has been good to me, bass is good, and trout is hit or miss (the little bones drive me crazy). Although I love brook trout cooked over a campfire, or fried with a little cornmeal coating.

Black Helmet:
Mostly fish for crappie, occasionally take a few trips to camp and fish for trout. Thinkin' about fishing sunfish and bluegill to eat

Rarely put any back unless of course they're not legal length

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version