Author Topic: Minnow traps  (Read 9919 times)

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
Minnow traps
« on: November 20, 2010, 09:58:50 AM »
Anyone else here use minnow traps? I love them as they save $$$ on buying bait, and you also end up with bait that is found in the same habitat if you fish it.

A plus from a syrvival perpective is that you can set them and come back the next day and harvest what you need. I also have some spots where I get a lot of crawfish in them, and they make a tasty snack.

I use the steel mesh ones- I find the unpianted galvanized ones work better than the black ones- but in a pinch I have made them from  2 liter bottles, I cut the tops off, lace them  and then stick the tops back on pointing in. Lace it on, add some ballast, and poke soem hols in so it sinks easily. The plastic bottle ones don't work as well as the mesh ones, but they do catch fish.

I have never looked into it, but I imagine one could cook up minnows in one form or fashion and eat them as well- anyone got any experience cooking or curing small minnows to use as food like sardines?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:55:40 AM by Chief_919 »

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
Re: Minnow traps
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:21:40 PM »
we use 5 gollen buckets and chicken wire to make crawdad traps.
bait with fish heads, and a bigger hole.  and drill lots of holes ,easer to lift out .
then just a 550 cord to tie them . the girls love to run these traps.

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »
we use 5 gollen buckets and chicken wire to make crawdad traps.
bait with fish heads, and a bigger hole.  and drill lots of holes ,easer to lift out .
then just a 550 cord to tie them . the girls love to run these traps.

If you ever get some pics I would love to see them.

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »
I have one of the black painted ones that work fine for me.   What I use it mostly for now is to catch small fish to put in my open top rain barrel to eat 'skeeters.   Growing up we made tubes out of window screen and laced a screen funnel into each end.   If you make a larger one, check your state game regs., they will state what size funnel openings and corresponding size gaps in cage are allowed.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:05:57 PM »
I had a galvanized trap, but it was stolen. Bought a black one that also works well. I've found that popcorn makes great bait, the more butter the better. And, yes, I am serious.