Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Pistols and Handguns

Best place to buy?

(1/4) > >>

Trusty Mutsi:
After listening to the most recent podcast on firearms, I asked a co-worker who hunts where he buys his guns. He prefers actual gun stores to gun shows. But the show seems to mention gun shows a lot.

Where do you guys prefer to get firearms? Gun shops? Gun shows? Anything online?

And if there's anyone in the Lehigh Valley, Penssylvania area who can recemmend a place, even better!

I'm specifically interested in the Hi Point C9 or a Remington 870. Still on the fence whether I'd get a handgun or shotgun. It's basically for home defense.

I was raised to understand gun safety, and I have a good friend who can refresh me on everything, so I'm not just going out to blindly buy a gun, and I plan on acquiring a license to carry.

Thanks for any help!

jeremya:
Personally if they carry what I am looking for I prefer Sporting Goods stores.
I have 3 guns: 2 where purchased at Academy Sports and 1 I bought online.

Now if you need advice on guns a gun store or even a gun show might be a
better bet. At a sporting goods store your not always going to be interacting
with someone that actually knows anything about guns. It's like buying a computer
at Best Buy.

People like Gun Shows because you can find pretty good deals if you keep your
eyes peeled.

-- Jeremy

ModernSurvival:
Part of why there are great deals at shows is because of he competition.  If you go to Store ABC the owner knows if you are ready to buy and his price is decent driving to store XYZ to shop around is a pain in the ass.  Likewise if you drive to XYZ and he is just a bit higher driving back to ABC, is a bigger pain the ass.

At a show you can look at the same gun on seven different tables in 15 minutes.  They have to compete and you often find used guns that are very hard to find on the few shops in your area.  I have NOTHING against shops in fact I am going to one at lunch time today.  ;)

BigDanInTX:
I prefer gun shops because of the personal interaction.  They're there to find you a good fit, so they help you make your choice.  At gun shows, you really have to know what you're looking for or you could pay more than the guy a few tables down is asking for in the same firearm.  As a Texas CHL carrier, I don't have to do the waiting game as is typically required at a gun store.  Being pre-screened has its advantages.

Now, you can find some really sweet deals online.  It lets you look farther faster.  However, you need to have the item shipped to an FFL (Federal Firearms License).  These are found at gun shops, but some private citizens will do business out of their garage.  I have one such guy here in Round Rock that I use.  They will charge a transfer fee and you fill out the paperwork to do the Federal transfer and make it legal.

If you have more specific questions, please feel free to post them.  =-]

Trusty Mutsi:

--- Quote from: ModernSurvival on September 26, 2008, 10:29:33 AM ---Part of why there are great deals at shows is because of he competition.  If you go to Store ABC the owner knows if you are ready to buy and his price is decent driving to store XYZ to shop around is a pain in the ass.  Likewise if you drive to XYZ and he is just a bit higher driving back to ABC, is a bigger pain the ass.

At a show you can look at the same gun on seven different tables in 15 minutes.  They have to compete and you often find used guns that are very hard to find on the few shops in your area.  I have NOTHING against shops in fact I am going to one at lunch time today.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Heh, it actually sounds like a comic book convention. You find MUCH better deals there than the local comic shops, because of the same reason. Competition.

I'll have to find out where the next show is here in Pennsylvania.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version