Author Topic: Berkey filters and water hardness  (Read 2467 times)

bbwarfield

Berkey filters and water hardness
« on: February 20, 2010, 01:11:24 PM »
I'm always looking for an "everyday need" excuse to invest in survival gear. I don't have a Berkey yet but I'm researching them.

My question for The Berkey Guy and the group is, how close to distilled water would Berkey-filtered rain water be?

My idea is to Berkey-filter enough water each week from my rain barrel collection to supply my espresso machine with water. We currently buy 80 cent gallon jugs of distilled water for the coffee maker (about two per week). I do this so I don't have to buy a filter for the coffee maker.

My guess is that this would make the rain barrel-caught water safe for drinking and that the water wouldn't be hard enough to damage the coffee maker.

Any thoughts?

bbw

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Re: Berkey filters and water hardness
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:17:10 PM »
I'm always looking for an "everyday need" excuse to invest in survival gear. I don't have a Berkey yet but I'm researching them.

My question for The Berkey Guy and the group is, how close to distilled water would Berkey-filtered rain water be?

My idea is to Berkey-filter enough water each week from my rain barrel collection to supply my espresso machine with water. We currently buy 80 cent gallon jugs of distilled water for the coffee maker (about two per week). I do this so I don't have to buy a filter for the coffee maker.

My guess is that this would make the rain barrel-caught water safe for drinking and that the water wouldn't be hard enough to damage the coffee maker.

Any thoughts?

bbw

Great questions, the black berkey elements leave in the minerials, or do not filter them, so the main difference would be the mineral content.  Distilled water does not have minerals, but if there are already minerals in the water, they are not removed.

I would make sure to do a pre-filter or just be sure to remove any sizable debris from the water before putting it through the filter.

You shouldn't have problems enjoying your morning coffee, please let us know after you receive the berkey of your experience.

theberkeyguy