Author Topic: Revisiting the Necessity of the Bug-Out Bag  (Read 949 times)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Revisiting the Necessity of the Bug-Out Bag
« on: June 07, 2020, 02:09:28 PM »
This is just a reminder in these uncertain times that it's wise to have a small kit, customized for each member of the family,  that is assembled and ready-to-go in an easily accessible location in case you look up and realize that there's a mob, a wall of fire, a cloud of deadly chemicals, a tornado or any of a thousand other realistic scenarioes, headed your way and you need to move NOW.

Now, I'm not going to create a list of items and gear recommendations.  Here on TSPF are thousands of such posts showing what many of us choose to carry with us if Bad Things Happen.  But, just as a though-starter. . .consider this:

Every home should have a kit for each member of the family that meets the following specifications:

1.   Weighs no more than 40 lbs.
2.   Addresses Water Requirements.
      a.  Includes enough water for a MINIMUM of 12 hours.
      b.  Includes multiple methods of water procurement and purification for a MINIMUM of 30 days at your expected usage level.
2.   Addresses Food requirements
      a.  Includes approximately 6,000 calories of ready-to-eat or easily prepared foods.
      b.  Includes those items needed to procure and prepare food for a longer period of time (usually I say "indefinitely).
3.   Provides basic shelter needs appropriate for your climate.
4.   Provides basic self-defense needs appropriate for your skill level and familiarity.
5.   Includes a basic communications protocol and equipment (or support equipment) to (re)establish communications with other members or acquire information.
6.   Includes items for navigation that do not rely upon outside sources (e.g., physical maps in case the phone systems and internet access is unavailable).

The Bug Out Bag (BOB, PERK, Go-Bag (I absolutely refuse to call it a Boogaloo Kit), etc.) is the single, most important, and versatile item in a survivalist's preparations.

I know it goes against most of the current "prepper" models.  The BOB is the single most identifying item of those who stand by what I call the  Old-school Survival Model (OSSM).  Current "prepper" thoughts lean away from what is usually described as the Lone Wolf Mindset and is angled towards the larger group/commune/kibbutz concepts better suited for the long-term disaster recovery and less towards surviving the moments.

This is not intended to be a negative commentary on the latter models.  Rather, it is intended to remind  people that versatility, flexibility and adaptability are the bases upon which we must build our responses.

And the BOB is the one collection of supplies and equipment that can be applied to almost every scenario that we realistically face.  If done right, the BOB does the one thing that others can't: Provide us with an instantly accessible basic set of food, water, shelter and basic necessities that can be used under all threat levels regardless if we remain in place, or are forced to relocate.

Just throwing it out there.

The Professor

Offline Mintbird

• Senior Survivalist
  • Prepping since 2012
Re: Revisiting the Necessity of the Bug-Out Bag
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 06:18:35 PM »
Thanks for the reminder Professor! I live in the greater Los Angeles area, about 80 miles NE, but we still had protests. I’m going to work on packing my BOBs in the next few days.

+1

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 02:07:20 AM »
well, I would suggest that

- the BOB should not be more than 25bs 9thoug with water, food and self defense, it will probably get to close to 40...
- since we are talking family, there is the option for shared items. i.e. one folding saw

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:38:42 AM »
I still keep mine up. Pretty much the same but I don't often carry water because of winter. I also lean in to a good multitool and a set of basic hand tools. I guess not all are technically in my BOB but my car definitely has a pile of tools and though I love the travel ratchet set and wrenches I have been bailed out many times by having a 6 in 1 screwdriver and tape measure. Also have this weird need to always have a utility knife.

There's also perhaps a bit of a bias in age groups. The older generation spent more time doing things like camping or working on the farm where self-sufficiency is of great value. Younger folk are used to social media where interaction is of higher value.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 04:59:49 PM »
well, I would suggest that

- the BOB should not be more than 25bs 9thoug with water, food and self defense, it will probably get to close to 40...
- since we are talking family, there is the option for shared items. i.e. one folding saw

Well, the weight thing is an issue that will be dependent upon the individual.  Twenty-five pounds is a good target weight, so long as the kit meets the individual's needs for their chosen length of time and environment.  Twenty-five pounds might be a bit difficult for those in cold or wintry locations/seasons.

As to the shared items, I'm a big proponent of NOT having shared resources in a non-INCH BOB.  In my opinion, each hit has to be as 100% self-sufficient as possible.  Having one kit include something that everyone needs may pose a problem if only one person can get to the kits.  Sure, you can take time moving needed items from one bag to another, but I'm talking an emergency situation with short response time where minutes count and where mobility is vital.

The Professor

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 01:42:29 AM »
regarding both issues. i am exploring alternative low weight options for gear. Some DIY.
i.e. wood saws. One can go the high-low method. Having a good saw and a secondary one to another member.
secondary can either be the saw in your mutitool, or a reciprocating saw blade on a simple (metal saw blade) handle.