Author Topic: Best dogs for SHTF?  (Read 75736 times)

Offline CalGal

• Prepper
Re: Best dogs for SHTF?
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2011, 05:18:50 PM »
German Shorthaired Pointer. Strong, healthy, good family dog, pointer and retriever...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shorthaired_Pointer

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2011, 08:16:55 PM »
A well trained attack toy poodle will leave your enemies incapacitated with helpless laughter.   ;D

Well, it certainly worked on me.  :rofl:

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
I have a lab/chow mix. Looks and acts exactly like a black lab, but is fully grown at 40 pounds. I would say any of the hunting / herding dogs are going to be useful, because they are bred specifically for those jobs.

My dog sounds like a much bigger animal and we have spent a lot of time with him on when to bark at things. If my chihuahua barks, I yell at her to shut up. If the lab barks, I go look.

The other day he came to me on the couch, got right in my face and started barking. He then went to the front of the house - 5 seconds later the door bell rang. Just the neighbor telling me our car lights were on, but that is exactly what I want my dog to do. Use his superior nose and ears to give me advance notice someone is near the house.

I think the very large breeds will be a liability due to their size and appetites.

The smaller terriers are very tenacious on a pound for pound basis. We had mini schnauzers when I was growing up and the neighbors rotty would not set foot in our yard.

If I had more land, I would get a doberman without hesitation. Smart, loyal dogs and I just think they are a great looking dog. I like rottys, but the lighter, sleeker look of the dobie does it for me.

Offline Oregun89

• Prepper
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2011, 10:54:08 PM »
I've had incredible results with the shepherd mix I found at the Humane Society almost 5 years ago.

I've never had a dog so intelligent and strong. She has adapted to every situation i've presented to her. She doesn't need a leash; she doesn't cower to gun shots; she will attack and defend when she deems it necessary. She's a damn good dog, and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

I have my opinions (medium sized shepherd mutts make the best dogs for SHTF) on what makes the best dog, but it seems that every man has his type. Choose the dog that you KNOW is right.

This pic was taken just after a 5 mile, 4300 ft. climb.

See her ability to adapt as she lounges on the couch next to me.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
That may be the most beautiful dog I have ever seen Oregun89. I have always been partial to GSDs. but that mix of yours is awesome.

Offline NW Martster

• Prepper
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2011, 08:18:25 AM »
I'll let y'all take a guess at what dog I have. 

<-------Hint.

Yeah she can eat, and eat a ton.  Yet in a SHTF scenario her abundant cheerfulness and intelligence make up for it.  I swear she knows when I've had a bad day at work and she can cheer me up every time.  I swear she has an advanced degree in cute.  She also is very alert, and protective of the family.  I'll pack a ton ( and do) of extra food just to have her with us. 

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2011, 09:10:10 AM »
Oregun89 - what a beauty!  We had a black wolf/shepherd that looked very similar except he had yellow eyes. Loved that dog - great protector.  I don't know what I'd do without my buddies - they are truly a comfort to have around.  I know in SHTF that I'd fight just as hard for their well being and safety as I would for anyone else.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2011, 07:53:21 PM »
Oregun98, thanks for the pic, reminded me of the dogs ive seen surviving in abandoned parts of the big citys.
Thay have pointed mosel most are dark if not black with small shepard shaped head,tall in the front
shorter in the rear. solid dog mix , there always seams to be one of these leading a pack.
rail yards ,old warehouse districts ,abandonded nebrhoods they have to be tough to survive

Offline drozzle

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2011, 10:06:04 AM »
I am going to go with the Anatolian Shepherd.  They are large, imposing, and very useful.  We have had them for several years and livestock guardian dogs with great success.  They are gentle to their owners, death to opossum and raccoons, and can function independently for long stretches of time.  They do eat a fair amount, but with the aforementioned supplementation of opossum and raccoon, it isn't bad.
Oh wow you have a Anatolian shepherd thats awesome so do i mines almost eleven months and way around 135 Pound's. He is defiantly the dog i would have when TSHTF he's fast, smart, strong, huge, has a very powerful bite, and he doesn't eat a ton

Offline buffalosoldier

• Prepper
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2011, 11:39:02 AM »
I have two bulldogs, specifically OEBs, a recreation breed trying to get back to what bulldogs looked  and were like (health temperment and obedience wise) before the banning of bullbaiting in the late 1800's. A cross breeding of English Bulldog, bullmastiff, and APBT.
The male, who was the runt of his litter is 85-90lbs, the femaleis approximately the same weight but taller at the shoulder. They are considerate, loving, eager to please dogs who have shown they have a rather protective streak. They are the perfect SHTF dogs for me and mine. I don't need a hunting hound, and wouldn't have the time to give one the training and excerise without which it would be cruel to keep one. They are perfect deterrent/guard dogs, moderately large, very intimidating looking, gentle with children, alerting me whenever anything larger than a cat comes near the house. I have no doubt they would physically defend the persons and property in my home in the future, and am sure their presence alone has saved me grief in the past.

An anecdote :
The wife and I, to save up money during the second year of our marriage while i was in school, moved into a double with another couple, we had the upstairs. Older house, big fenced yard, and the rent was a pittance I could pay with a part time, freeing up more of her fulltime income. Difficulty? it was on Buffalo's east side.

This is a crime map for those unfamiliar with the area, look at the mid to left and lower left portions... Yep, that bad..
http://spotcrime.com/ny/buffalo

I should have put my foot down and said no, but she really was convinced that this was the best financial decision to stay out of debt/eliminate what we had. I had grown up in rougher and I have streetsmarts, but the wife was very very suburban and I was worried about what would happen to her. Over my own objections we moved (Lesson: Safety first, money second, lesson: put your foot down when you have to)

On the day we moved in, the neighbors all came out, and just watched. Everytime we moved in something that was kinda nice, you could see them talking among themselves. The front door had a very nice, very sturdy wrought iron portcullis, and I heard one say 'I wonder if they have the guad door on the back.'. At that point I put down my end of the sofa, causing my friend/landlord to look at me funny. went to my car, got out my gun case and brought it in the home. It is an obvious gun case. I figured that would put them on notice as to me being a man willing to defend his property. No reaction. I guess they were inured to the idea of men with guns, didna even phase them. Here comes my wife, in her cute like car, and pulls up, opens the fence gate, and lets the dogs into their new yard for the first time. All those same people immediately looked horrified and went back inside. We lived their for a year and as soon as I graduated we moved out of the city. The neighbors during that time were loud, obnoxious, violent people. To eachother. They would cross the street rather than come near our fenceline. I am positive that if it were not for my dogs, we would have been robbed.
My landlord was too, as soon as my dogs and us moved out, Bud the APBT was moved in.

Offline preppermedic

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »
I know this is going to make someone unhappy.   But in a SHTF scenario while your  dog may be your buddy.  Over time there will be dogs that will have to be dealt with.  I don't remember the exact site where I came across this but dogs will tend form packs and start hunting to survive. And that means that cute little poodle could be the bait for a group of larger dogs that are working their way in position to make you a meal.  As an example; I was coming home from work the other morning about 0300 and as I pulled up to an intersection, I heard a coyote howling.  I put my spot light on him and he got up and stretched and went back to barking.  His intent was to draw out a dog from the housing addition and have a meal. This urban dweller was not worried about me!   So In a Real SHTF of any time frame loose running dogs will have to be dealt with using extreme prejudice.

Offline Rustler3

• Prepper
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2011, 12:18:56 AM »
I currently have a lab and a Pitbull.  If I had to chose any dog I've ever owned it would be my Pit.  Many of the same reasons that I have seen posted here.  On top of that, I have seen her protect my kids by instinct only and that means the world to me.   One thing I haven't seen talked about, she also only eats when she needs too.  I know many breads will eat until there isn't anything left.  My lab is this way... 

I tried posting pics but didn't seem to work.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:24:27 AM by Rustler3 »

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2011, 01:49:48 AM »
So In a Real SHTF of any time frame loose running dogs will have to be dealt with using extreme prejudice.

Pack of wild dogs killed my buddies horse.  This was rural CA in the 80's.  His dad took care of most of the dogs with his 30-06.

So yes, packs of wild dogs = stew meat in a SHTF situation.

As far as what dogs are good, I've seen some nice options and some not as good options.  I think overall the single most useful dog is the Rottweiler.  They are not only fierce and protective but they can be used as draft animals.

About 95% of pittbulls are garbage animals.  If you have a good one then they are great animals.

Labs and Retrievers would make a good meal but not much else.

Small dogs would make good bait to bring in packs of meaty dogs.

The most important dog truism is that 2 dogs are better than twice as good as 1 dog.

Offline buffalosoldier

• Prepper
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2011, 07:04:25 AM »
I think it more depends on what YOU need out of a dog.

You looking for a hunter/bird dog? You probably would be poorly served by my bulldogs.

You looking for a Guard/Watch dog? Step away from the Brittany spaniel.

You want a herder/draft dog to guard your livestock? Doberman is not really gonna do you a whole lot of good.

Man has had dogs since the beginning (I am not getting into a debate on what you think the beginning is), and has been developing breeds since shortly after the discovery of rocks, each with a specific job in mind. Whether bird dog Y is better than bird dog X is a matter of no small (and often humorous) debate. But if your survival plan depends on using your dog for X purpose, and your dog was never bred for that purpose... you are gonna have a rough time teaching him to do it well.

So I guess is, pick your purpose, and that will dang near pick your own dog.

/start threadjack

*shrug* I disagree firmly about your percentage of pits being garbage animals. I have seen far fewer maladjusted APBT than I have other dogs, especially small companion dogs.

and why is it on every SHTF thread about dogs in any way, someone starts talking about shooting strays?

/end threadjack.

Offline maxhedroom

• Survivor
  • We all seek direction
    • My Homestead Garden
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2011, 08:08:05 AM »
I have a 2 year old OEB and he is great. He is not a hunting dog, he is a companion to our family and while he is a mush, the pizza delivery folks know he has a big bark, and we like it that way. While being strong willed he is the smartest dog I have had, including my rot tie I had for 14 years. If you are not looking for a sporting or herding dog I highly recommend this breed. Everyone I know that has them is totally taken in by the breed.

Offline Xavier

• Survivor
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »
How about an alert dog?

Our little Bichon Frise has great ears, and lets us know whenever he hears ANYTHING outside.

And, a big plus is that he is very smart and eats very little.

Not every dog has to be 200 lbs to be an effective dog.

In a SHTF, my little Bichon will contribute a lot and consume very little.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2011, 09:55:18 AM »
I have to agree with Xavier.  I have a little half/rat half/pudding terrier.  She is hands down the best guard dog I've ever seen.  Anything within eye or ear sight she knows about it and lets us know.  She is silent until she sees/hears something. Never barks unless she sees or hears something.   She has a vicious growl that will (And has) put much larger "Guard" dogs to shame.  (Hell, she scares the hell out of me when I hear her growl at something LOL).  She eats very little.  Smart and easily trained.  Very territorial but doesn't range far. Never have to worry about her running off.  She is as loyal as they come.  She can handle any terain I can sort of a cliff. 

Her only downfall is cold, she HATES cold weather.  Not equiped for it.  So depending on the temperate region we would be in during SHTF, that may be what puts her down.

Sure, a big dog might do a better job of getting someone off me who is attacking me, but she'd do enough damage do distract them (And having been bit by a terrier (not this one) before, aside from the small weight, it still hurts pretty darn bad.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2011, 10:06:21 AM »
*shrug* I disagree firmly about your percentage of pits being garbage animals. I have seen far fewer maladjusted APBT than I have other dogs, especially small companion dogs.

Uh huh, but a small companion dog poses no danger to anyone or anything.  Sorry if you don't like my pitbull comment but it reflects the reality of a horrible situation caused by irresponsible people.  The majority of dogs being euthanized are pitbulls, about 60%.  That is sick.  6 out of 10 dogs in America being euthanized are pitbulls.  I have no problem with the breed, only the people causing this atrocity.  I have spent time with some wonderful pittbulls and pitbull mixes.

and why is it on every SHTF thread about dogs in any way, someone starts talking about shooting strays?

For the same reasons we talk about shooting people?  Plus you can eat them without all the taboo.

Why is it that every SHTF thread about dogs has someone defending misunderstood pitbulls and talking about how useful their lap dog is ;)

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »
I think this thread has the potential to be as dangerous as the Energy Healing thread was. People will have their favored breeds and that's that.

I LOVE bull mastiffs. They are everything you say and more. However in a long term SHTF scenario they are short lived (10 lucky years and only 8 or so of those working, less if they're bred) and prone to many, many medical issues. This applies to most large breed dogs. Anything over 150lbs and you're looking at less than a decade of getting work out of your dog. They will still be able to bark and cuddle, but a 9 year old mastiff isn't stopping anyone who they aren't already laying on top of. They are also slower than other breeds of dogs, which won't help you with dinner, unless you're hunting mammoth. They also eat like horses, because they're almost as big as horses.

I own a pitbull. Honestly they're like a smaller (smarter, sorry) mastiff. They are ideal dogs for a survival situation. They are smart, strong and live 15+ years. You'll likely get 14+ years of work out of them. They've been used as spit dogs, and wheel dogs so you can pump water or generate power with them. Mine already runs on a treatmill and it's only a matter of time before I hook up a generator. They pull more weight per lb of dog than any other dog in the world. A 45lb pitbull can pull an Esclade. They're fierce and tough and tenacious. They're almost as fast as greyhounds, and they're EVERYWHERE. The bad? They have no hair. I live in NH and can't have my dog out in the snow for more than an hour or so or I risk her freezing her tootsies off. She's got a coat and I vaseline her feet up so they won't directly freeze but she has her limits. Warm climates though? Pitt's where it's at.

I set out to get a Newfoundland and got a pit along the way, and I'm not exactly ganstah, they're that cool.

I'd recommend any smart medium sized dogs(with hair). Honestly the extra bite power you get from a pit doesn't matter for much against anyone armed with so much as a pitchfork. If you're keeping your own kennel you have options for some good mutts. And in any survival situation most dogs end up as mutts anyway long term. Not many pure breeds forming packs in Eastern Europe. Dogs tend to settle around 40 or so lbs when they interbreed in the wild. Take a hint from Mother Nature and work with the system, just like you would with Permaculture. Because that's what LTS animal ownership is going to be anyway.

Good list? Border collie, Australian shepherd, Australian Cattle dog, Terriers(All), Ridgeback, Shiba Inu, Corgis, Collies. But in the end you need to get a dog you'll like.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »
" But in the end you need to get a dog you'll like. "

+1 Thanson_V

Offline johngalt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2011, 10:31:02 AM »
I had a German Shorthair, and they are awesome dogs - but certainly are not for the faint of heart.  That being said, Ruger has passed along, and since then, we have gotten chickens.  I would like to get another gun dog - probably a Vizsla...

Does anyone have any experience with gun/bird dogs and livestock fowl?  I am sure it will be much easier to train a new puppy with existing birds on the property (as in don't eat the chickens) but are there any tricks or nuances with training - yes hunt this bird, but not those birds?

By the way, any animal that can help put food on the table, or protect it, is, in my book a great dog for when SHTF-- or even if it doesn't.

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »
I had a German Shorthair, and they are awesome dogs - but certainly are not for the faint of heart.  That being said, Ruger has passed along, and since then, we have gotten chickens.  I would like to get another gun dog - probably a Vizsla...

Does anyone have any experience with gun/bird dogs and livestock fowl?  I am sure it will be much easier to train a new puppy with existing birds on the property (as in don't eat the chickens) but are there any tricks or nuances with training - yes hunt this bird, but not those birds?

By the way, any animal that can help put food on the table, or protect it, is, in my book a great dog for when SHTF-- or even if it doesn't.

Well if you get another pointing dog you should have no problem…..the worst they should do is point them. I’m not kidding.

Raising your dog to be a bird dog will only enforce that behavior. Really though you should have no problems. My dogs are interested but not enough to hurt the birds. I usually raise a hundred chukar each year for training birds, they are used to the bird pen. They look in to check them out…..that’s all.

I would be careful with your pup not to let a bird hurt or scare him……and they can. You don’t want to have to deal with that later in your training a bird dog scared of birds is a bear to overcome when you are training.

So in short it shouldn’t be a problem, train up your dog and he’ll know the difference between yard birds and wild birds and you’ll teach him how to turn on (hunting /training) and turn off.

Offline cajun68

• Prepper
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2011, 10:50:04 PM »
I like mixed breeds.  The best dogs i have had have all been strays i got off the street.  I got Dusty from behind the dry cleaners. He never chased the chickens or the goats and followed me every place i went. Also a good squrrel dog.  He would not let strangers out of their car if the family was not home.  My point is dont overlook the stray.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2011, 07:24:44 PM »
When I moved from Canada back to the States I re-homed all my draft dogs to working homes and only brought my farm guardian dog down with me. He is a Great Pyrenese X and can be a big baby, but he does stand down bear and cougars which is what his job requirement was.

That said, he also does work in harness and did pull 2-3 days worth of firewood down for me (about 40 rounds) at a time and did haul 300-500 pounds of livestock feed to the barns when the snows were very deep. He will also pack. So currently I would say he is the best dog for me. As large as he is, it is amazing how little food he eats.

I know when I travel, I sleep sound when he is with me as he doesn't bark at anything, but that low grumble of a growl to wake me up in the middle of the night to warn me someone is too close to us (or even a quick nap during the day when I am pushing an 18 hour drive) will get me wide awake in a millisecond, as I know he means business. If you can keep his paws from giving you a black eye (received one from him once), he is also quite warm to snuggle with when you are camping and a bit chilled.

As much as a pain as he can be sometimes and so totally has separation anxiety, he is a great dog. I also like that he is long legged enough to keep up easily and can manuever through snow and often when I had to check fencelines before I had snowshoes, my hand on his back would help me from falling over on my face (or side, or bum or... ).

I know up in the bush when the guys were working in the forests, there are some guys who really like having little terrier type dogs as bear alert dogs as the owner said they are a smaller target for a bear, are quick and persistant. And I have seen 2 Chihuahuas tree a bear in a backyard once.

Cedar

Offline mwcoleburn

• Prepper
  • Gun Pusher
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
I have my full size Golden Doodle, Snoop. He's a big baby but the one time he thought I was in danger he jumped in front of 2 GSD's and a Pit and growled them down. Kind of funny watching a 60lbs puppy try and protect a 280lbs man but I will never doubt his protection drive again. He's great with the kids and other animals too. He brought me a live baby rabbit last year. Dropped it in my hand unharmed. Incredibly soft mouth.

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2011, 12:11:21 PM »
@ Cedar
Great dog! I'll have to get pics of Belle carting up the AT.
The right dog is definitely the poor man's horse. We've had dogs doing work for us for 11k years horses for around 7k. Survival dog is DEFINITELY a good idea on a small homestead. The big issue is breeding. It's not necessarily ethical to breed dogs in today's day and age. Thousands of dogs go homeless out there every year. I used to place dogs at a shelter and we'd place 30 every week. We were shipping them in from Alabama and the South. A single unfixed dog can be responsable for thousands of puppies in it's lifetime (from grand and great grandchildren). The choice is be ethical and fix your dogs, and run out of dogs in 10 or so years, or have more dogs than you can handle before the SHTF. If you can get friendly with a local breeder before the SHTF you might be able to work out a third option.

Offline metatron

• Prepper
  • English guy
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »
Caucasian mountain dog's are my favorite breed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMwRGVLuq1Y#

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »
+1 Cedar for the great pictures.

We still love our GSD. They are so smart. Our current GSD was a rescue dog from the DFW place that closed down a year ago in October. She is a bit older, but fits right in with our family. The boys were off camping with the boy scouts this weekend, which made her very nervous. Each time I would go out and come back, she wanted to go out and sniff the vehicle, looking for the boys. She was not happy until the whole pack was back home again.

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
Caucasian mountain dog's are my favorite breed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMwRGVLuq1Y#

Those sure are impressive dogs!

I don't think I would be interested in having such an aggressive dog though.......lawsuits among other things seem to be in store for an owner.

Offline Mike Honcho

• Survivor
  • Est. 1974
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2011, 02:28:47 PM »
Quote from: johngalt

QFT!

In my opinion its gotta be the Rottweiler... I've had Spaniels, Collies, Pits, and Rotties... Despite the many health aspects of having a large breed dog Rotts are by far one of the most loyal and fearless breeds I have owned (not to dismiss the loyalty and fearlessness of the Spaniel mind you; it's a very close second, seriously)... With the Rott the even temperament, confidence and eagerness to please put them an inch above the rest in my book! I just purchased 2 this past weekend, a brother ("Able") and sister ("Passion") for securing my new house...Without a doubt the girl Passion is gonna give my boy Able a run for his money; she's a lil' tuffy - hehe... They're only 4 weeks old now so I have another month to wait, but honestly it's the best purchase I've made in many years! - MH   (R.I.P Boss "Big Daddy" Von Landes)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:07:53 PM by Mike Honcho »