Author Topic: Best dogs for SHTF?  (Read 75727 times)

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
Re: Best dogs for SHTF?
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2011, 09:27:32 PM »

1. Breeding my Anatolian Shepherd to a Black Mouth Cur and keeping one of the pups.

so you have an Anatolian? They're pretty good LGDS especially if your looking for something that responds quickly..and Anatolian and your wife knowing how to shoot a gun (if she doesn't already) sounds pretty good to me..and a buncha don't step foot on my property signs if you don't already have them..here in Or in my county anyhow you can get a fancy "patrolled by sheriff" signs that would make a drunken drug addict think twice about asking you any questions..

Offline Nick Ferguson

• Prepper
    • Homegrown Liberty
« Reply #151 on: December 19, 2011, 06:33:07 PM »
so you have an Anatolian? They're pretty good LGDS especially if your looking for something that responds quickly..and Anatolian and your wife knowing how to shoot a gun (if she doesn't already) sounds pretty good to me..and a buncha don't step foot on my property signs if you don't already have them..here in Or in my county anyhow you can get a fancy "patrolled by sheriff" signs that would make a drunken drug addict think twice about asking you any questions..

I absolutely agree, the problem is my Anatolian is behind a "VERY" scary electric fence (or at least she thinks so). She stays with the goats so, she just barks from oh.... 300' away.. not too threatening

If she were loose, she'd have already been stolen by the trash in the park.. She loves to explore over there and meet people. We had that happen with one dog already. Miraculously we got him back, but he was horribly malnourished and would never go near that park again for as long as he lived. Gonna have to get a dog who's a little less independent minded than an Anatolian.. Audie is almost 3 and listens about as well as a freight train :P Actually thought about getting a Doberman, he'd stay inside most of the time, put in a dog door and post a picture of him at our gate with a "we don't have anything to do with the park so go away" sign. hehehe :D

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #152 on: December 19, 2011, 07:32:23 PM »
I absolutely agree, the problem is my Anatolian is behind a "VERY" scary electric fence (or at least she thinks so). She stays with the goats so, she just barks from oh.... 300' away.. not too threatening

If she were loose, she'd have already been stolen by the trash in the park.. She loves to explore over there and meet people. We had that happen with one dog already. Miraculously we got him back, but he was horribly malnourished and would never go near that park again for as long as he lived. Gonna have to get a dog who's a little less independent minded than an Anatolian.. Audie is almost 3 and listens about as well as a freight train :Pha well she's doing exactly what she was bred to,be independent! And patrol what ever she deems as hers..but it is a little off that she would be so loving twoards strangers..

Actually thought about getting a Doberman, he'd stay inside most of the time, put in a dog door and post a picture of him at our gate with a "we don't have anything to do with the park so go away" sign. hehehe :D

Offline Nick Ferguson

• Prepper
    • Homegrown Liberty
« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »
I agree, I wish she were a little more standoffish but such is life. Yeah I know she's doing what she's supposed to do, I just want her to stick with the herd... she'll go off on her own if she can. I don't know if it's cause she's still a little puppyish, or if she's just not a good LGD... She'll bark like crazy but as for attacking anything that gets in her pasture... not so sure on that one. She does catch cat squirrels though. And if I walk out with a gun, she's looking up in the trees wherever I'm pointing the gun waiting for a squirrel to drop :P not afraid of the sound of a gun going off at all! In fact come to think of it, that's probably the best way to get her to come to me, pop a shot or two off and she'll come running hoping for a squirrel...

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2013, 05:55:56 AM »
When I moved from Canada back to the States I re-homed all my draft dogs to working homes and only brought my farm guardian dog down with me. He is a Great Pyrenese X and can be a big baby, but he does stand down bear and cougars which is what his job requirement was.

That said, he also does work in harness and did pull 2-3 days worth of firewood down for me (about 40 rounds) at a time and did haul 300-500 pounds of livestock feed to the barns when the snows were very deep. He will also pack. So currently I would say he is the best dog for me. As large as he is, it is amazing how little food he eats.

I know when I travel, I sleep sound when he is with me as he doesn't bark at anything, but that low grumble of a growl to wake me up in the middle of the night to warn me someone is too close to us (or even a quick nap during the day when I am pushing an 18 hour drive) will get me wide awake in a millisecond, as I know he means business. If you can keep his paws from giving you a black eye (received one from him once), he is also quite warm to snuggle with when you are camping and a bit chilled.

As much as a pain as he can be sometimes and so totally has separation anxiety, he is a great dog. I also like that he is long legged enough to keep up easily and can manuever through snow and often when I had to check fencelines before I had snowshoes, my hand on his back would help me from falling over on my face (or side, or bum or... ).

I know up in the bush when the guys were working in the forests, there are some guys who really like having little terrier type dogs as bear alert dogs as the owner said they are a smaller target for a bear, are quick and persistant. And I have seen 2 Chihuahuas tree a bear in a backyard once.

Cedar

That's a good looking dog.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »
I would have to say that my answer depends mostly upon the intent of the owner.

- For personal-defense = German Shepard (loyal, dependable, fierce, won't take sh!t from anyone)

- For hunting/guard dog = Karelian Bear Dog (smaller = less food requirements, very loyal, hard working, cannot be put on a leash and led around)

- For all around =  Czechoslovakian Wolfdog (temperament, pack mentality, and trainability of the German Shepherd and the strength, physical build, and stamina of the Eurasian wolf. Excells at tracking and guarding, known to be fearless, makes the family its pack, very little barking)

Real beautiful dogs

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »
I have been thinking about this question some lately and doing a little research.

One of the dogs near the top of my list is the blue lacy. Great all around. Can heard, scent, bay, fearless, defends family, rugged. Think I'd rather have 2 or three lacys than a dog twice the size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lacy

Many other good looks on here though, particularly the GSP.

looks like a Visla. very beautiful dog

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »
Great Pyrenees hands down IMHO and experience...they are one of the oldest livestock guardian dogs known to man...they protect you,your livestock of any size their fur does not deteriorate meaning when then blow out their coats you can spin yarn..for clothing..very warm..they are a large breed with a slow metabolism we have two full grown adults and two teens and a 45lb bag of GOOD QUALITY feed last..wait for it..almost a month..and that's at free feeding just dumped in a big bin..if rationing I'm pretty sure I could make it last about two more weeks per bag..they are gentle,have natural instincts to know when danger is around and what level of reaction is needed..I love our Pyrenees..they also can keep you warm very warm and they can handle serious cold and do fine in the heat as long as you DON'T shave them..they are very agile and able to blend in very well and are very quiet..they are classified as a working dog with scent,sight & hearing..

My cousin has a homestead in the Mountains of Tennessee and she has 4 of them. They are very protective and huge.

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2013, 07:37:30 AM »
I think Pyrenees size can be deceptive with all the hair. I took my 9 month old to get spayed last week and was shocked to find out she only tipped the scales at 80 lbs.

Offline janinec

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2013, 01:29:43 AM »
Bull mastiffs are great dogs when they are young, but after about 5 years old they become very lethargic and are more interested in sleeping than guarding. I have raised them and they are a wonderful pet, but as a prepper I would never have another, just not enough productivity and they consume a lot of food. I am seriously thinking of getting a German Shepard as our last bull mastiff recently passed away.i like that fact that's they are so very loyal and trainable but are productive for a lot more years than the bull mastiffs. I loved my dogs very much and mean no disrespect to anyone with a bull mastiff, but from a purely practical prepper view point I think you can do better.