Author Topic: Preparing your maps!  (Read 2551 times)

spatialguru

Preparing your maps!
« on: March 04, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »
I'm considering an article/book to give an overview of free software tools for managing your mapping and GPS information with a focus on survival scenarios.  Naturally you have lots of things you want/need to map, but I'd look more at how to make sure you have a good cache of OFFLINE data and tools available that won't rely on a Google maps site through the Internet, etc.   I may want to throw in some other great open source software that we might find valuable when offline or in unexpected need.

To prepare for this project I invite others to share their thoughts on:

1. What kind of mapping services or software do you rely on, or expect to rely on.  E.g. "I use google's mymaps" or "I GPS all my food caches, etc."
2. What kinds of mapping data are you most reliant on - e.g. terrain info, aerial photographs, alternate transportation routes.
3. What general software tools would you like to have with you during an emergency when you might be offline but still need to get something done. 

Look forward to any thoughts on this that I could build into the project.

Cheers!

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Re: Preparing your maps!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:32:22 PM »
there are a few threads about maps here already. look at them.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=9889.0

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1307.0

are two excellent ideas...

I have my local area hardcopied.

D

spatialguru

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:40:23 PM »
there are a few threads about maps here already. look at them.

Thanks donaldj, not quite what I'm after, but hope some of those commenters might pop in over here to get into specifics.

Offline The Grand Pooh-Bah

• Prepper
  • King of the Garts
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:42:09 AM »
Railroads, especially the old abandoned tracks can be used as secondary means of travel in a SHTF scenario.  These maps show where a lot of old tracks were.  Most of the track in my local have been removed and turned into bike trails.  Some are nothing more than paths through the forest used by occasional hunters or game.   Be sure to walk or drive these old locations prior to depending on them in a life or death situation.

Here is one Link.  There are other versions of these maps if you do a bit of goggling.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 07:38:10 PM »
I have always been fascinated with early explorer map making skills. How did they map large bodies of water like the Great Lakes, or mountain ranges, ocean coasts with what they had, whatever that was. And can these skills be learned and used today as a hobby?

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 03:11:05 AM »
i think it was a lot of walking/commuting and with may triangulation by Theodolite.
regardless, the scale is immense

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 01:21:22 PM »
I have always been fascinated with early explorer map making skills. How did they map large bodies of water like the Great Lakes, or mountain ranges, ocean coasts with what they had, whatever that was. And can these skills be learned and used today as a hobby?

For rough mapmaking in completely unknown territory, you can use a sextant. Those are still available today, though not cheap. Using them on land is a bit trickier, but still doable - I just found some basic uinformation here: https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/how-to-use-a-sextant-on-dry-land.205087/

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 12:21:57 AM »
I ah a look at YT and got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwmXKwkgaw