Author Topic: House Bill would impose tax increases on guns, ammo  (Read 475 times)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
House Bill would impose tax increases on guns, ammo
« on: August 18, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »
https://www.pbcommercial.com/news/20200816/house-bill-would-impose-tax-increases-on-guns-ammo?template=ampart
House Bill would impose tax increases on guns, ammo

A bill currently in three U.S. Congressional subcommittees would increase firearm sales tax to 30% and ammunition tax to 50%. The bill also would, among other things, require all future and current gun owners to obtain a federal license and raise the age from 18 to 21 for purchasing a firearm.

Titled HR 5717 and commonly referred to as the "Gun Violence Prevention and Community Safety Act of 2020," the bill is currently under consideration in three House committees including the House Ways and Means Committee, House Energy and Commerce Committee and the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security.

The bill is some 250 pages long and includes multiple provisions many gun rights advocates find objectionable, including a ban on assault rifles and large capacity magazines and other large ammunition capacity devices.
"This is a blue collar, working class area we live in. There aren't many people who can afford the $1,000-plus firearms, the high end ammunition," Nichols said of the Twin lakes Area. "If you put a 30% tax on a $600 gun, you've now got a $780 gun and that's before I get my profit from it. So I add $30 for me, then I have to add 8.5 percent tax for this area and you're looking at $878 for a $600 gun."

Nichols said at that price, a gun purchaser should be able to afford a higher tier firearm but instead ends up with a "working class" firearm. He also points out that such a tax would make firearms unobtainable for people from lower income brackets.