The TSP Marketplace > Western Botanicals - Sponsored Board

What 5 Herbs?

<< < (3/3)

KYdoomer:

--- Quote from: joeinwv on February 10, 2010, 10:54:41 AM ---Regarding the pepper vs spear mint debate - I prefer peppermint for no real reason. However, the red stem peppermint is seen as essential for proper mint juleps.

I do not contain my mint, and I constantly find little patches in my yard. Makes mowing grass smell even nicer.

--- End quote ---

Nice.  In my time here, I've heard of a few herbs and plant that run wild.  I'm gonna plant them in the forest at my BOL and HOPE that happens.

J

joeinwv:
I don't know any of the technical terms, but mint grows roots underground laterally and then pokes up it's vertical stems. When we moved in to our house 3 years ago, I had about 6 small plants - each one about 6" tall. I encouraged it to spread. Last year I had 4 beds full of mint - each sprig about 3' tall. At the end of July I was mowing and cutting it back with a string trimmer.

The cool thing, is if you want it to move - just bend over a piece and cover it with dirt. It will then root and branch out.

It will easily grow under, around and through landscape fabric. It does come back every year. The rabbit (pet) will eat a little mint, but not much. He will eat a lot of parsley and of course, clover. When the mint blooms it draws bees - I would not mind finding some mint pollen honey...

If you're in WV around May / June and need some mint plants - I can hook you up.

KYdoomer:
Much appreciated!

J

Possenti2264:
Maybe not as essential, but a nice addition would be lavender.  It's good for drying and hanging as an air freshener.

joeinwv:

--- Quote from: Possenti2264 on February 11, 2010, 09:45:10 AM ---Maybe not as essential, but a nice addition would be lavender.  It's good for drying and hanging as an air freshener.

--- End quote ---

Love lavender. I have a plant that is about 3' in diameter in front of my house pretending to be a bush/shrub. Really nice to have some aromatics in the yard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version