Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Gear and Tool Review Board

Arlo Pro 2: Netgear's wireless 1080p security camera system

<< < (2/3) > >>

FreeLancer:
The battery on the camera farthest from the base station dropped below 40% yesterday, with the others still between 50-60%.  Even though that camera doesn't get triggered as often to record on motion, it makes sense that the weaker wireless connection sucks more power over time.  Still, I'm extremely pleased with the ability to go a month or more between battery changes and have no regrets with the purchase.  The ability to monitor the perimeter of the house in real time while I'm away, plus knowing who is knocking at the front door, is luxury I'd have a hard time living without.

For convenience, I bought two spare batteries (2440mAh Li-Ion) and a standalone charger so I can just swap out the battery with a fresh one without having to unmount the camera to charge with its internal charger via USB.  It's easy enough to do on a step ladder and it doesn't disrupt the camera alignment or risk dropping it 10' onto pavement.

I sent my dad a similar kit to set up on his rural property in Oregon, which will give me some more data points to share after he gets it set up.  I'm curious to see how it handles the wetter environment, wildlife, and distances from house to barn.

fritz_monroe:
Great info, thanks.

I've been looking at what is available for the DIY install.  My neighbor behind me has a bunch of questionable people living in his house while he's out of work.  I need to get something set up. 

I haven't locked my car for a couple of years.  I can't say for sure that it was his "tenets" but last year when I went on vacation, I had a bank envelope at the bottom of the center console of my car.  When I got back from vacation, that envelop was laying on the passenger seat.  The stuff in my console was all mixed up. 

Applejack:
I have been pondering about cameras around my house. This setup sounds like it might be a good one. Will be checking into it for my house. We have a couple of blind spots where we can't see what's going on at the side of our house, so this might be great idea to have a camera where we can watch what is going on on that side of house.

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on April 10, 2018, 04:56:59 PM ---I sent my dad a similar kit....

--- End quote ---

I should mention that the kit I bought from Costco.com was gone, so I had to roll my own at Amazon to send to my dad last week (about $150 more), but it looks like a similar kit is back now, albeit minus the sturdy metal outdoor mount that came with mine.

https://www.costco.com/Arlo-Pro-2-5-camera-Wire-free-1080P-HD-Security-System.product.100394902.html

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on March 17, 2018, 09:28:54 PM ---The camera at the back door is at the limits of the range of communication for this system, positioned about 75 feet and an outside wall away from the base station, but is still able to reliably connecting and transmitting video more than 90% of the time. 

--- End quote ---

With a pair of new dogs roaming the backyard in the last week, I realized that the backdoor camera was not performing consistently with all the additional activity.  This camera has at best a 1 bar out of a possible 3 in signal strength, and sometimes would deteriorate from there.  The only solution was to reposition the base station to get it closer to that camera, the problem was getting an ethernet connection in that location.  Fortunately, a NETGEAR - Powerline AC1200 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter was a simple solution that is working great.  Now the backdoor camera's signal strength is a solid 2 out of 3 bars and the others are all 3 bars, with performance and battery drain better across the board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version