Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Gear and Tool Review Board

Arlo Pro 2: Netgear's wireless 1080p security camera system

<< < (3/3)

FreeLancer:
We're still happy with the camera system.

The batteries are needing a charge about every 4-6 weeks, depending on the amount of motion the cameras are exposed to.  In a windy environment, with lots of stuff moving around in front of the camera, the battery will die within a day.

racer038:
Home Shopping Network has the Arlo 4 camera plus base on sale right now for $289.  I had never bought anything from them, but a friend suggested giving this one a try.  Saved a couple of hundred compared to Amazon, my normal GO TO internet store.  The units should be in next week.  Will post if there are any negatives.

cmxterra:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on August 22, 2018, 09:40:55 PM ---We're still happy with the camera system.

The batteries are needing a charge about every 4-6 weeks, depending on the amount of motion the cameras are exposed to.  In a windy environment, with lots of stuff moving around in front of the camera, the battery will die within a day.

--- End quote ---

Have you tried the Arlo solar panels? I use them on two of my Arlo Pro cameras and love them. I have them on my high trigger cameras and they keep the batteries topped off.

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: cmxterra on November 12, 2018, 05:58:32 PM ---Have you tried the Arlo solar panels? I use them on two of my Arlo Pro cameras and love them. I have them on my high trigger cameras and they keep the batteries topped off.

--- End quote ---

I'd heard there were problems with the gen1 panels and honestly haven't looked into it since I bought the cameras.  But if they've worked well for you I should probably get a couple.  Could you hook two cameras to one panel?  My two main cameras are on the same location looking in opposite directions in the backyard, plus they have the best location for solar exposure, unlike the other three cameras.

cmxterra:
They have waterproof connectors designed to just mount to one camera. So no luck on doubling up. (plus there would not be enough amperage to do two at once I think)

The only issue I have had now with the three years I have been running them is the cold here in MN. In the depth of winter the batteries get too cold to allow a charge from the panels. So in winter there will be times where I have to go swap the battery on the solar charged cameras.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version