Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Gear and Tool Review Board

Firecord

(1/4) > >>

bcksknr:
     I just replaced the zipper pulls on all of my packs with Firecord (at least that's what I think it's called). I think its a UST product and I had bought a hank of it at Walmart some time ago; seemed like a good idea, just never got around to doing anything with it. It appears to be paracord with the usual internal strand, but with the addition of a red strand that is flammable. The outer sheath is a striped orange and grey; you won't mistake it for regular paracord. The idea is to strip the red strand out to use as tinder. The red strand appears to be waxed cotton thread. It can be separated into a nice fuzz ball. I couldn't get it to light with a fero rod. It did light like gangbusters with a BIC. I'm sure a few magnesium shavings from a magnesium bar and then the fero rod would work. The cord is just a little stiffer than standard paracord. I don't think I'd use it for tent/tarp rope, but for a couple of bucks, it gives you another option for firestarting. I didn't try it wet, have to do that.

Carl:
  Interesting product.

iam4liberty:
Yes, this looks very intersting.  Here is one brand on Amazon.:

https://www.amazon.com/FireCord-Live-Fire-Gear-Paracord/dp/B00R8N4HBA?th=1&psc=1

bcksknr:
     Too bad it's bright orange; it might make a good replacement shoelace. Maybe some other manufacturer makes it in a more subdued color.

Carl:

--- Quote from: bcksknr on October 21, 2017, 11:21:01 AM ---     Too bad it's bright orange; it might make a good replacement shoelace. Maybe some other manufacturer makes it in a more subdued color.

--- End quote ---

The Amazon link above is a good ,subdued ,OD/Charcoal weave ...that should fit your boots.

But I just carry some of the 20 second burn matches that do a good fire when properly tendered and prepared for and though the firecord will be an extra,you still get no fire without good dry tender.I also carry firesteel,zippo and cricket lighters  besides the 'lifeboat' matches and 'regular' waterproof matches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version