Author Topic: Anyone left in IL or Western IN?  (Read 678 times)

Offline Da Li

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Anyone left in IL or Western IN?
« on: May 06, 2016, 09:56:25 AM »
Hey all,

I'm in East Central IL, not far from the IN border.
Region 4 board doesn't seem to have many IL folks posting.
Am I the only one willing (or maybe dumb enough  :facepalm:) to admit being from the Laughingstock State?

Just putting a call out looking for others in the neighborhood.
I might be interested in eventually hosting or attending "local" meetups, work shares, skills trainings/workshops, etc.
Glad to see there's stuff going on in MI, OH, etc., just think we need to get that going here too.
Even if there's only two or three of us TSPers, we can always bring others from "outside" that could benefit from learning new skills, etc.

Anyway, just sending up a flare to see if anyone is around.

Lemme know!

-- Da Li

PS.... I need up to 4 acres worth of mulch, cardboard, newspaper, food and fuel plants, etc. If we're close enough maybe we could do some group bulk buys??? Just throwing it all out to see what sticks!

Offline totalredundancy

• Prepper
  • EVERYBODY PANIC
Re: Anyone left in IL or Western IN?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:05:08 AM »
As painful as it is to admit it I'm still stuck here in IL.  I'd be up for a meet-up at some point!  Haven't found one other like-minded person in the Chicagoland area...

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 03:03:07 PM »

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »
As painful as it is to admit it I'm still stuck here in IL.  I'd be up for a meet-up at some point!  Haven't found one other like-minded person in the Chicagoland area...

TD, are you on Facebook? If you are PM me. There are quite a few Chicago preppers but they keep very low profiles mostly due to the craptastic Crook County/Chiraq political climate.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 07:31:38 AM »
Family and I are unfortunately still on the outskirts of Cook County.

Spent the last 2 years getting as debt free as possible.

Probably going to be stuck here until we are no longer underwater on our condo (anywhere from 1-5 years depending on what the housing market does and how much extra I put into principal every month).

Offline Da Li

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 11:37:28 PM »
Hello again TSP forum! And hello to region four folks!

So sorry to post looking for others in my area and then disappear for a bit, we made the final move to our new place a week or so after I started this thread, and still (in late September) haven't got wifi at the new place setup. It's on "the list"!

Glad to know there's a few folks nearby. Thanks for the links to nearby groups!

I've been working on creating like minded people in my main area of operations...slow going with some, but one benefit of being here is that everyone is dissatisfied, the trick is to help them figure out the real cause of their worries (ie government as a whole, not just the Blue team/red team that they blame).

Family and I are unfortunately still on the outskirts of Cook County.

Spent the last 2 years getting as debt free as possible.

Probably going to be stuck here until we are no longer underwater on our condo (anywhere from 1-5 years depending on what the housing market does and how much extra I put into principal every month).

I know what you mean... I'll probably be here a good while, as my parents are getting older and well rooted (early 70s and low finances for moving), my wife's parents are rather deep rooted here (in their 60's with little motivation to move), my wife's grandmother is in a very nice retirement community and has a package arrangement that means she's paid up for the next 10 years, my wife's other grandparents are in Chicagoland, but may move downstate to be closer to family as they age (mid 80's now)... oh yeah, and my wife has the "straight" job while I'm trying to get the farm going.

In epsiode 1353 of TSPC (the permaethos launch episode), Jack mentioned that we as a community are rebuilding society before it collapses. Since IL is at the leading edge of the collapse, I feel at times that those of us that are still here have a significant need to rebuild faster than those in Texas for example. That being said, if I could snap a finger and have my whole family, my wife's family and others that I care about transported to a free-er state.... I probably would.

I suppose in the end it's rather simple. The grass is always greener.... but the best way we can green up the grass on our side of the fence is to build the soil.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 08:48:39 AM »

I suppose in the end it's rather simple. The grass is always greener.... but the best way we can green up the grass on our side of the fence is to build the soil.

No doubt!

I probably shouldn't have said "stuck".

We're far from miserable.

We have it better than many around us and are definitely appreciative of the good things... but, we do constantly have our eye on the prize, which is preparing ourselves to get the heck out of Illinois as painlessly as possible at some point in the next 5 years if things continue down the same path they are on (all signs point towards this happening).

While we're here, we both do what we can to better our community/immediate environment, but the sad reality is that no matter how much sweat equity we put in... this state is facing problems that have been damming up for generations, and that dam is about to burst (some would argue it already has).

It's one thing to be optimistic... but you still have to live on realities terms.

Not suggesting that everyone living here should be miserable... but, anyone living here would be wise to inform themselves of what is on the horizon, and to prepare/position themselves to react accordingly. That's really the message that I try to spread to my co-workers/friends/family who are willing to listen.

Offline Medic242

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 07:39:36 AM »
I'm still in the state where our governors make our license plates.  We are in the rock river valley.  Near the quad cities. 

Offline TKI Ranch

• Fledgling Prepper
  • TKI Ranch
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »
Hello from another East central Illinois family.  we are in Iroquois county, Illinois.  I can see Indiana from my window.  My Pasture butts up the state line.  So close, I can smell the lower taxes.  So, just introducing myself.  Hope to hear from likeminded individuals near me.

Offline Da Li

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
  I can see Indiana from my window.  My Pasture butts up the state line.  So close, I can smell the lower taxes.

Love it!

Main thing I smell is the egg factory not too far from us, but only when the wind is from the SW....so about half the time, haha.

I'm in IQ County also, SW corner... I'll shoot you a PM (if I can figure out the buttons to do so, haha).

-- Da

Offline TheZenful1

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 01:17:11 PM »
Still here in IL at the SW edge of the Chicago city limits.

Would've replied earlier, but heck, I haven't been on the forums in quite some time.

Offline Heathen

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 06:51:42 AM »
South East Dekalb county here and work in eastern Dupage. Have a little under a 1/2 acre with a garden, egg layers, and rabbits. Looking for a way out but it’s gonna be awhile!

Offline totalredundancy

• Prepper
  • EVERYBODY PANIC
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 12:33:26 PM »
Still here in IL at the SW edge of the Chicago city limits.

Would've replied earlier, but heck, I haven't been on the forums in quite some time.

Same.  My wife is warming to the idea of us looking for an acreage up in Indiana, although southwestern WI trout fishing would be fun to live near too....

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 03:25:40 PM »
You all in Illionois are very welcome to join us Hoosiers!

Moving from Illinois to Indiana is about the same gain in freedom as moving from California to Nevada or New York/New Jersey to New Hampshire.  It is big!

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/

Offline totalredundancy

• Prepper
  • EVERYBODY PANIC
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 06:35:01 AM »
You all in Illionois are very welcome to join us Hoosiers!

Moving from Illinois to Indiana is about the same gain in freedom as moving from California to Nevada or New York/New Jersey to New Hampshire.  It is big!

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/

It's definitely a priority after 2020